Looking for tofu recipes

Options
Sarahr73
Sarahr73 Posts: 454 Member
I recently tried tofu for the first time and really liked it. Now, I am trying to find some easy beginner tofu recipes but can't seem to find any good ones. If anyone has any good recipes, please let me know. Also, if there is a certain way you have to cook the tofu in the recipes, please explain since I have no clue what to do with it. Thanks in advance!

Replies

• kimmerroze
    kimmerroze Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    Bump!! I too want to know!
  • pkpzp228
    pkpzp228 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    wow, no replies. I like tofu myself.

The most difficult part of tofu is cooking the tofu itself. My experience is that it's best to cook it separately prior to adding it to the dish. Make sure to get firm tofu.

Broccoli tofu stir fry is pretty simple,

saute 6-8 ounces of (firm) tofu until browned on all sides.
    stir fry your choice of vegetables separately, I do this because the tofu tends to break up an you're left with something looking more like scrambled eggs.
    mix them together with a about 2 tablespoons of stir fry or marinade and your set.

Obviously salad is super easy, just saute your tofu than add it to your salad,

miso soup is pretty easy too, google for the recipe.
  • ccaym
    ccaym Posts: 86
    Options
    Here is an easy way to cook tofu...not really a recipe, so you can customize it to suit your tastes...Everyone in my house gobbles it up!

Baked Tofu

Cut tofu into cubes or inch-thick slices. Toss/top with a small amount of sesame or olive oil and season to taste (try garlic, salt-free seasoning, curry powder, chili powder, tamari/soy sauce..not all together, though ; )

Bake on a cookie sheet at 350 to 450 degrees (I usually put a tray of tofu in the oven while I am baking something else, so the temp varies) for 30 min to 1 hour, flipping once.

Edited to add...Use extra firm tofu for this cooking method
  • IngeborgB
    IngeborgB Posts: 27
    Options
    I love tofu and I eat it loads! It is so versitile, you can do anything with it. Yesterday I made a pie, and instead of the eggy thing I used soft tofu, oatscream, baking powder an soy flour. Turned out great! High in protein, low in fat, and vegan!

I also love tofu scramble, that you can do with almost anything you have at home. Good brunch food!

I agree with pkpzp228, if you are using tofu in a stir-fry or something similar, cook it on it's own first to get the sides a bit brown.

One of my fav tofu recipies is to cut the tofu into slices, marinade the tofu in soymilk with dill, salt, onion, herbs, whatever you want. Dip it in flour with the same/or other spices, quick dip in the marinade again and then into breadcrumbs/ground cornflakes. Make them coated. Fry slowly in a little bit of oil unitil all sides are brown. Makes almost like a fish-stick similar thing. Yummie!
  • Crystal817
    Crystal817 Posts: 2,021 Member
    Options

I love PPK! I have her cookbook. :)
  • pandafoo
    pandafoo Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    here's a link to a chinese comfort soup with tofu, tomato, and egg:
    http://www.homemade-chinese-soups.com/fresh-tomato-soup-recipe.html

my favorite tofu dish is mapo tofu, and here's a link to an authentic version of the dish. i think soft tofu is best for this.
    http://projects.washingtonpost.com/recipes/2008/10/01/best-mapo-tofu/
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I've made really yummy ricepaper rolls using tofu instead of chicken or prawns.

Use the firm tofu, cut in into sticks and marinate in a little bit of soy sauce or ketchup manis (yummy but full of sugar and salt!). Pan fry it in a non stick pan to get it brown and crispy on the outside.
    Then roll up in rice paper wrappers with bean curd noodles, shredded veges and cashews. Dip in chilli sauce. YUM!