water question...

Options
2»

Replies

• brneydgrlie
    brneydgrlie Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Current medical wisdom says that 8 glasses of water a day is not nearly enough for most people, but it is a good start. Depending on your age/sex, around 40-60% of your total body weight *should* be water. Most people walk around constantly dehydrated.

A good way to calculate how much water you need to drink is to divide your weight in half, and drink that many ounces of water. For example, if you weighed 200 lbs, 200/2 = 100, so 100 ounces of water per day (approximately 13 glasses).

The other thing to remember is that if you are not drinking enough water, and are walking around dehydrated, your body's "thirst mechanism" will shut itself off. If you have begun drinking more water than usual, you may have just flipped that mechanism back on again.

However, if you are sure you are drinking enough water and are still constantly thirsty, go get checked out by your doctor.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    FYI: Sodium DOES NOT make you thirsty LOL

But I would have your doctor check your AC1 cause as other's said this is a sign of diabetes, also of over excerssion (maybe your over exercising? ) ...

I'm sorry but that's not true - sodium can absolutely make you thirsty. When I eat popcorn or salty crusted Domino's pizza, I am extremely thirsty. What else would it be if not the sodium?

As for the OP, make sure you're sipping water, not chugging it. Any chance you're drinking bottled water that has sodium in it or adding flavored mixes with sodium? Some are just as bad as soda.