Tortillas?

Options
I need to find an alternative to flour tortillas. The ones that I have been using are 120 calories, 21 carbs, 3 fat and 320 sodium and only 2 g fiber. We eat tortillas quite often and I was wondering if there is an alternative out there. I usually grocery shop and walmart and aldi's, so if there is something out there that is better for me, please let me know.

Thanks.

Replies

• FitMomof3
    FitMomof3 Posts: 147
    Options
    I need to find an alternative to flour tortillas. The ones that I have been using are 120 calories, 21 carbs, 3 fat and 320 sodium and only 2 g fiber. We eat tortillas quite often and I was wondering if there is an alternative out there. I usually grocery shop and walmart and aldi's, so if there is something out there that is better for me, please let me know.

Thanks.
  • gabrielled
    gabrielled Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    We eat corn tortillas. Mission brand has a "Thin"corn tortilla that has less fat and calories than the rest. Sorry. We cut out the flour torts long ago.
  • AJneuro
    AJneuro Posts: 33
    Options
    la tortilla factory makes a low carb/hhigh fiber tortilla -- 50 cals, 10g carbs and like 8g of fiber and 6g of protein (if I remember correctly! Check out the website latortillafactory.com
  • ChubbyBunny
    ChubbyBunny Posts: 3,523 Member
    Options
    I LOVE flour tortillas.
    Mission has an AWESOME low carb fajita size tortilla,.
    They do the trick when I just HAVE to have a shell.
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    la tortilla factory makes a low carb/hhigh fiber tortilla -- 50 cals, 10g carbs and like 8g of fiber and 6g of protein (if I remember correctly! Check out the website latortillafactory.com

Yep, I love the La Tortilla factory, their smaller size (sometimes called low carb or smart & delicious) are awesome! Also, if you can find Joseph's Oatbran Lavish bread (I find it at the deli section of Super Wal*mart), it's great for sandwiches too!

Jess
  • luvchi3
    luvchi3 Posts: 167
    Options
    since you say you shop at walmart, they have a good price on flatbreads, i found those in front of the deli there once, they aren't shaped exaclty like tortillas, they are more oval but they are 90 calories for one and very good, i like to make quesadillas a lot, with smoked turkey and cheese and i wanted a good sized tortilla with low calories ( i did find one but i can't for the life of me remember the name) but i tried the flatbreads and they worked just as good and since they were bigger i used only one instead of two
  • Thrust
    Thrust Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I second Joseph's Lavash wraps. Good stuff!!
  • soup78
    soup78 Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    We eat corn tortillas. Mission brand has a "Thin"corn tortilla that has less fat and calories than the rest. Sorry. We cut out the flour torts long ago.

Yep, yep....me too......You should try 'em, they're quite tasty! :wink:
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    Corn tortillas are better than flour. The flour ones are just evil in their calorie count! :angry:
  • BunnyHop
    BunnyHop Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I'm a fan of the Mission Carb Balance tortillas. They come in a burrito size that's pretty large, but useful for sandwiches, and great on the fiber count.

I like using them as pizza crust too, just spray the bottom with a bit of PAM, put it on a baking sheet, and top to suit yourself. I find I can get away with just a quarter cup of mozzarella, if I make sure to brown it well, to develop the flavor of the cheese.

My next baking experiment is to make my own whole wheat tortillas, though, mostly to see if I can create something with a lower sodium count. (I recently found some Hain Featherweight baking powder, with no sodium, which should help.)

Has anyone ever tried Alton Brown's recipe for corn tortillas? You make them with dried corn, which is most of the reason I've never tried the recipe for myself.
  • Healthier_Me
    Healthier_Me Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Not a fan of corn tortillas. Low carb flour ones are really good.
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options

Yep, I love the La Tortilla factory, their smaller size (sometimes called low carb or smart & delicious) are awesome! Also, if you can find Joseph's Oatbran Lavish bread (I find it at the deli section of Super Wal*mart), it's great for sandwiches too!

Jess

Where do you find La tortilla factory tortillas??? I have heard of these a lot... :flowerforyou:
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    Where do you find La tortilla factory tortillas??? I have heard of these a lot... :flowerforyou:

I buy them at Meijer, Kroger, and sometimes Super Wal*mart carries them. A lot of times they're near the deli section instead of with the regular tortillas or even in the ethnic section. HTH!

Jess