Schedule for eating and working out?

Options
I am super busy...or what I've come to realize is I tend to make myself more stressed out and busy to avoid working out and to make it easier to justify to myself to eat poorly. I thought a great thing to do to prevent this would be to put myself on a strict schedule and no matter what I have going, I have to work out at a particular time each (prob in the am before work) and I eat at the same times everyday. But I'm not sure if this is the best thing for me to do or not. My world can get pretty chaotic. But I am trying to create a new lifestyle where my health comes first. Any thoughts or suggestions on this?????

Replies

• AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    i HAVE to schedule my work outs and pack my food the night before or things get out of control. My schedules are on my profile page and my diary is public.
  • bellawomenswellness
    bellawomenswellness Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    You are on the right track! Each Sunday I design my training for the week as well as a meal plan. This takes the guess workout and stress out of the equation. Without a "road map"... you truly never know your final destination!

Planning is KEY!
  • Mollydolly10
    Mollydolly10 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with you on the scheduling. BUT, you gotta give it a little wiggle room too. I personally wouldn't schedule when I am going to eat down to the minute, because each day I am hungry at different times, depending on what I had to eat earlier, etc.

Instead, I schedule out ahead of time what my workout will be, WHEN it will be, and consider how big of a burn I'll probably get. From that, I can plan my food intake. I usually just plan out my meals and snacks, and then let them sort of take place when they will. As a rule of thumb, I try not to eat my lunch before noon or my dinner before 5:30, just to avoid getting hungry for an additional snack that I haven't budgeted for. But, some days things happen, or maybe you had an extra tough workout the night before and need to refuel.

I say go for it, schedule away, but be kind to yourself too. You aren't a robot, your body can't just get hungry and eat when you tell it too all the time :-) good luck!!
  • Ervie317
    Ervie317 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I personally, at least on weekdays, try to get to the gym by 5am and workout (cardio and lifting), then I shower and get ready for class and work. I bring along eggs that I cooked at home and the fixings for my oatmeal. I am usually finished getting ready by 7 or 7:30am and I just have one of the front desk people at the gym heat up my eggs and I get some hot water from them to add to my oatmeal and eat there. I then eat four more meals every three hours. I find if I don't hit the gym first thing in the morning, I wont make time for it during the rest of the day.
  • dragonflytwt
    dragonflytwt Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Scheduling is good. But you do have to live your life, so if something doens't go to plan, oh well, do the best you can and pick up again tomorrow! Good luck!
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I go to the gym early in the morning before my kids get up. If I don't go then, I don't go. As far as food goes it can help to make your lunch the night before and if you're really busy you can make meals on the weekends that you can reheat during the week.
  • ladybug1620
    ladybug1620 Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    But I'm not sure if this is the best thing for me to do or not. My world can get pretty chaotic. But I am trying to create a new lifestyle where my health comes first. Any thoughts or suggestions on this?????
    I'd be willing to bet that it IS the best thing for you. Schedule your work outs as you would any other appointment (as Chalene says ). Otherwise you will find a reason to not do them. And be consistent. Also, plan your meals for the next day in advance. I pack my breakfast, lunch, and snack the night before and have it ready in a bag to grab in the morning. There are no excuses for me needing to go grab a burger or candy bar (although I do occasionally eat a salad from a fast food place). I also work out in the morning to get it out of the way. No excuses for the rest of the day, because I know if I leave it for later it's just not going to get done.
  • JessG11
    JessG11 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I so appreciate your thoughts!!!!

I do plan my meals out for the week before I even attempt to step foot in the grocery store. And I bring a lot of my food to my work and leave it. I just need to control myself to eat properly while I'm at work.

But I will take your advice and schedule to working out too for sure! I think that will help me to do it and not put it off until later when it will never get done. And I've got a long journey to better adapting to my new lifestyle, so for now, I think this will help.

I appreciate it!!!!
  • lajuice24
    lajuice24 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I also plan my workouts and my meals. Things can get real crazy if I do not. I prefer to workout in the morning as I work later so that is better for me. And it only takes a few minutes to get all of my stuff together for the next day
  • lajuice24
    lajuice24 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I also plan my workouts and my meals. Things can get real crazy if I do not. I prefer to workout in the morning as I work later so that is better for me. And it only takes a few minutes to get all of my stuff together for the next day
  • JessG11
    JessG11 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I typically get home later from work and then have homework so in the am is going to be my new plan!