Unicycling :D

Options
Okay...so, I have this really amazing unicycle my Dad gave to me a couple of years ago.
He rides his really well (and even has one that's 6 feet tall that he can ride around) and wanted me to learn.
I began to learn, but never got off the wall (as in, keeping my hand against one while I was trying to learn to balance properly) and I stopped practicing.
I went and bought a bike pump Saturday so I can air up the tire on it (it went flat from sitting in my closet so long) and I can start practice again :bigsmile:
My new goal is to learn to ride it (I'll give my self a couple of weekends of practice because I severely lack coordination)
But...I'm wondering....does anyone here ride one?

I'm also wondering how you find out how many calories you burn riding it (I'd rather learn to use mine and ride that than ride a bike)
Do you just count it was like riding a bike or what? :ohwell:

Replies

• GlassKisses
    Options
    Okay...so, I have this really amazing unicycle my Dad gave to me a couple of years ago.
    He rides his really well (and even has one that's 6 feet tall that he can ride around) and wanted me to learn.
    I began to learn, but never got off the wall (as in, keeping my hand against one while I was trying to learn to balance properly) and I stopped practicing.
    I went and bought a bike pump Saturday so I can air up the tire on it (it went flat from sitting in my closet so long) and I can start practice again :bigsmile:
    My new goal is to learn to ride it (I'll give my self a couple of weekends of practice because I severely lack coordination)
    But...I'm wondering....does anyone here ride one?

I'm also wondering how you find out how many calories you burn riding it (I'd rather learn to use mine and ride that than ride a bike)
    Do you just count it was like riding a bike or what? :ohwell:
  • Steffykins
    Steffykins Posts: 176
    Options
    Fraid I can't help you there, but unicylcing sounds awesome, my best friend does it as she's part of the Circus Society at Uni and she loves it! Good luck with it! :flowerforyou:
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    Don't know--my brother had one when we were kids and I 'bout killed myself trying to ride it, so have stayed off them since.

I know they're great for the body core though since you really use a lot of stomach area muscles to control it, don't you?

According to caloriecount.com, a 150 lb. person would burn 340 calories per hour on a unicycle vs. 408 for riding a bike 10mph.

Huh--I would have thought you'd burn more calories on the unicycle but guess not.
  • jlwhelan1
    jlwhelan1 Posts: 664
    Options
    Good luck and...

be safe
    helmets.jpg

ibikecf7.jpg
  • shorerider
    Options
    Have you ever seen that Japanese TV show, "Unbeatable Banzuke" ? They have one course on there for unicyclists that is just too unbelievable! I mean, the whole show is full of incredbile challenge courses but I love watching the unicyclists on there!

Trying to find a video of it somewhere....
  • shorerider
    Options
    Found one! Although the quality stinks and the reason the guy even posted it on Youtube is not because of the event (as you will see) but you can get an idea of how hard this course is!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spf86mX8RcY&feature=related
  • GlassKisses
    Options
    Oh my gosh! That video was insane!
    I'd never even heard of that show before...WOW!!!!
    Those guys are awesome!
    I don't think I could ever do something like that, even if I did learn to ride my unicycle. :blushing:
    For me it would probably just be something nice to do in the evenings as an exercise after dinner or just for fun.
    I need to learn to ride it first, though :embarassed:
    I did....okay-ish a few mins ago when I was outside...I have a lot of work to do, though.
    I'll probably go back out later.... :happy: