Eating off your kid's plates..

Options
2»

Replies

• AmandaMonique
    Options
    Two things. Yes, I agree with feeding them less and more often with the under 5 crowd. Also, kids don't really need "kid food" (fries and chicken fingers), they need the same healthy food you do. (Biggest difference is that they need to have more healthy fats as part of their daily diet than you do- ie, their veggies are sauted in olive oil, yours in a non stick pan.

Also, can I be a tad jealous? I have 4 kids (two them teen boys) and I am lucky when they don't try to EAT off of my plate after they inhale their own food.

We don't eat out very often and that's pretty much how I've been cooking their things, that's why this is so frustrating. I'll cook mine with a lot less fat, more protein, whatever it is and they feed me or I start picking up theres even though I made mine different. I'm not sure if that makes sense, but sometimes I just feel like I might as well have made the same thing for all of us because I ruined mine by eating theirs.
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options
    This was a large contributor to how I started gaining weight. My son has HUGE growth spurts, so his eating (especially when he was 1-2) was very erratic. He'd eat a TON for a couple of weeks, then all of a sudden eat very little. So trying to judge how much he was going to eat was difficult. And when his growth spurt stopped and there were leftovers on his plate - it started my growth spurt! :laugh:

But I gradually learned to better judge his eating, and to NEVER finish his plate - if there's enough left, it goes in the fridge as leftovers. If not, it goes in the trash.
  • Rebeccasluckyduck
    Rebeccasluckyduck Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    My kids are now teenagers so I don't eat off their plate. (But I used to!) My problem now is they'll make themselves lunch and leave the chips (or whatever) out on the counter. Before I started MFP I would go through the kitchen, grab a handful and keep walking without even thinking about it. When I started logging calories I saw how much that added up to be so I worked hard to break that habit.
  • Vqueen
    Vqueen Posts: 13
    Options
    I have 5 kids and I have done that too. You need to either make a concious effort to not do that. Feed the kids stuff you don't like. :wink: The biggest thing that helps me was having the kids clean up their own plates. Even a 2 year old can dump their food in the trash and put their plate in the sink, or on the counter.

It's something moms have struggled with for generations.

LOL! I have 5 kids too...and this is what I was going to say! Only you probably said it better ;-)