C25K

Options
I just did the day 2 of week 1 and cannot believe the improvement already! I couldn't run for the whole 60 seconds for some of the later intervals yesterday today I completed them all - and in the rain! I'll be running a marathon in no time!

If anyone's considered running but isn't fit enough, trust me I'm not, definitely recommend this program!

Replies

• flash53
    flash53 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I start day two tommorow. I didn't have a hard time yesterday on the treadmill till I got around 18 min. When is your race? Mine is in August.
  • Leopardliz
    Leopardliz Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Started last week pretty well. Man am i out of shape. Second week has been hard! I think its cause i am over doing it :( i do it everyday and in my running part i do 6.0 on treadmill. My mfp friends say im goibg overloa an should slow it down. I hope they are right cause i'm getting discouraged. Keep me posted!
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    I've just done the first session of Week 2.

It was a real effort to manage the whole of each run in Week 1. So I wondered whether I'd find Week 2 too hard, but actually it didn't seem any harder than Week 1. :)

Instead of timing it, for the last couple of sessions I've used specially produced podcasts where there's a countdown and a change of music every time you need to change from walking to running and vice versa. They're free, I'm using the ones by Nicole, but there are loads, just google it if you fancy something different.

http://gonicoleyourself.blogspot.com/2008/06/couch-to-5k-podcast-page.html
  • minburke
    minburke Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I think treadmills might be different in aus. I usually powerwalk on 6.5 so maybe the settings are different.. I'm really out of shape and have never run so any improvement is good for me haha..

I found I couldn't do it on the treadmill because it was too much playing around with the speed so I just do it around the block of my home.. I tend to run/jog in the running parts as my boyfriend who did it said its not meant to be a sprint but a endurance thing.. I heard week 2 is hard with the 3 minute intervals.. Not sure if I can do that :/ might have to do a 90 second interval week and then switch to the 90 and 3 minute ones the week after..

I plan to do the City to Surf in Sydney in August it's a 12km race for charity..
  • minburke
    Options
    I've just done the first session of Week 2.

It was a real effort to manage the whole of each run in Week 1. So I wondered whether I'd find Week 2 too hard, but actually it didn't seem any harder than Week 1. :)

Instead of timing it, for the last couple of sessions I've used specially produced podcasts where there's a countdown and a change of music every time you need to change from walking to running and vice versa. They're free, I'm using the ones by Nicole, but there are loads, just google it if you fancy something different.

http://gonicoleyourself.blogspot.com/2008/06/couch-to-5k-podcast-page.html

Oh cool. I might try one of these tomorrow at the moment I've just been using an app that lets you use your own music and talks in between it..
  • TourThePast
    Options
    i do it everyday
    It says that you should leave at least a day's break between each session, and that if you don't, you leave yourself open to a far higher chance of an injury.

Know what you mean about running too fast, I do the same myself. :(
  • TourThePast
    Options
    I've just been using an app that lets you use your own music and talks in between it..
    I saw those, but was put off by reviews that suggested regular failures. Good to know they're working for you - I too like the idea of using my own music.

It's just occured to me that I have a free program (Audacity) that makes editing, ripping and / or mixing tracks very easy - if anyone fancies putting their own together it's pretty easy with that, I might give it a try myself. :)
  • michelellawrence
    Options
    I will be doing week 2 day 2 later tonight. It has been about 25 years since I have run, but I think this is just what I needed to start back up without killing myself! good luck to you, add me if you are looking for some c25k buddies! :)
  • minburke
    Options
    Are you really meant to leave a day in between? I've only read don't leave more than 48 hours between runs.. :/ Eek.

Not sure.

Audacity is great. I love listening to my own music but might try the podcast cant hurt I guess..
  • TourThePast
    Options
    Are you really meant to leave a day in between?
    Yes, really. It's important not to overdo it.

The quotes below are from Cool Running, who started the C25K program.
    http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml
    Each session should take about 20 or 30 minutes, three times a week.
    Be sure to space out these three days throughout the week to give yourself a chance to rest and recover between efforts.