Question about using a treadmill for C25K

Options
Hi

So after seeing C25K on a post a decided to google it and I am inspired and ready to add this to my weight loss challenge!

But I cannot see what speed (MPH) your meant to have your treadmill set at for the run or the walk????

Does anybody know or is it just what you want to have it set at?

Feel free to add me if your also doing the C25K as it would be great to get the support of others doing this.

Replies

• michelellawrence
    Options
    I started the c25k last week.... I also am running on a treadmill. I have been setting it around 3.9 or 4 for walking, and only 5.2 for the running. That is about all my old self can handle right now!! :) I would love to have you as a friend, we can take this journey together!!
  • justleeanne
    justleeanne Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    There is no speed, everyone is different, just do it at your own pace, try to jog though, don't sprint or run too fast, you have to pace yourself. :) I think if you go at a more steady pace you will be more consistent. Good luck, I'm on week 3 and you will be surprised how much you improve so quickly!!
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    Everyone has their own pace :)

I walk at 4.0 and run at either 5.5 or 6.0
    I was finding that my HR was TOO elevated (was hitting 200) while running at 6.0 continuously, so I dropped to 5.5 which has been more manageable. I'm sure your numbers will change as you improve in stamina & endurance.

For my cool down, I tend to walk at 3.5 to bring my HR back down from the 180+ it sits at the entire run.
  • runningfromzombies
    runningfromzombies Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I'm about to start Week 4 tomorrow, and I've been inching upwards in my "jogging" speed since day one as each week got easier for me. (But I always walk at 4.0 mph.)

I want to be able to do three miles in thirty minutes, so I'm set at 6.0mph as my maximum and what I strive for right now, but watching your heart rate is definitely a good indicator! I tried to start out at 6.0mph three weeks ago and it was WAY too much, my heart rate was the same as MissAnjy's, too elevated.

Just find a pace with an appropriate heart rate for your weight/age and you'll be all set!
  • pyroxian
    pyroxian Posts: 99
    Options
    Friend request sent - I'll agree with what was said above - no set speed, go with what you can maintain.
  • Jdigaetano
    Jdigaetano Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    The irony here is you're starting a running program and everyone will tell you not to be in a hurry. :tongue:

It's 100% true. It is deliberate that no speed defines the run or the walk segments. Do whatever speed is achievable. Your first goal is to get conditioned to the running segments. Pacing isn't relevant. Push yourself but don't obsess about whether it is "right" or not.

No rush. If it is too easy pick it up until it's hard. If it's too hard, slow down, or even repeat a day or a week as long as it takes for you to feel good about moving on.
  • Nikstergirl
    Nikstergirl Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    You guys are going awfully fast for new runners!! I downloaded podcasts which give you a steady beat to move to which helps to give you a pace, although I did it outside. On a treadmill now, I usually walk at between 3.0-3.5 and run between 4.5-5.0, but I'm training for a 10k now and have been running for a year! I have a friend who was trying to become a runner and was very frustrated thinking she had to run fast (like 5.0 and higher) and I told her to SLOW DOWN!!!! Guess what, she can now keep a steady pace, 4.7 is where I think she settled on, for over 2 miles at a time!!!! She was trying to go faster than her body wanted her to! It's really not about the speed when you're starting out.. .it's about doing the workouts and gaining endurance!

Congrats on starting a fabulous program. As I've often said... C25K literally saved my life!!!!!
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    I have a friend who was trying to become a runner and was very frustrated thinking she had to run fast (like 5.0 and higher) and I told her to SLOW DOWN!!!!
    Oh dear.. I have really short legs, but even so I find I'm running at 5.5 to 6k, simply because I have not figured out how to run more slowly. I've never run in my life and it just doesn't seem to work, soon as I get below 5.5k, my legs don't seem to be able to run, I go into a fast walk.

Any hints, does this get easier with practice?
  • delisa83
    delisa83 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Cool glad I asked as it makes sense now! Being 6ft 1 a medium paced walk is 5 for me so obviously i'll just need to adjust as I go along.

• Eskimopie
    Eskimopie Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Heh I'm a shorty (5'3) and starting the program. I walk at 3.8-4.0 and run at 6. I also set the incline to 1 to approximate running outside. For some reason when I try to run slower, I find it horribly uncomfortable.
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    For some reason when I try to run slower, I find it horribly uncomfortable.
    I'm so glad it's not just me. Hopefully someone will have a few tips. Maybe it's easier to "bounce" along slowly once you're fitter?
  • hazeyskyy
    hazeyskyy Posts: 25
    Options
    I'm so glad I found this post! I'm starting this on Monday (so I can do the 3X week on Mon.-Wed.-Fri.) and I was wondering what speed on the treadmill I should be walking/running at. Thanks for the info everyone! :)
  • Jdigaetano
    Jdigaetano Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    For some reason when I try to run slower, I find it horribly uncomfortable.
    I'm so glad it's not just me. Hopefully someone will have a few tips. Maybe it's easier to "bounce" along slowly once you're fitter?

Oh goodness that sounds familiar. When I did this (back in 2008) my calves were on fire when I was doing the running segments. It felt terrible, and abated when I went faster. However I soldiered through and pretty much one day after I was sure I couldn't take it any longer it just stopped.
  • beboudreau
    beboudreau Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I am only on week one of C25K. I typically walk at 3.5-3.6 and run at 5.4. I was walking at 4 and running a 6.1 but that proved too much for me. Good luck on starting this amazing program, I have read so many good, positive things about it and feel free to add me if you want some extra support!
  • mamakathy
    mamakathy Posts: 130
    Options
    I did W3D2 today and I had to back off a bit. I had been trying that day several times this week and just had a block. I was finally able to succeed. I think you need to do it as it works for you and repeat when necessary. This is a judgement free zone :) Add me if you would like.
  • outersoul
    outersoul Posts: 711
    Options
    I'm on week 9, getting ready to finish the program. I don't worry about pace at all. I just focus on stamina and endurance. Pace will come with time.