Eating Below BMR

skinnyhopes
skinnyhopes Posts: 402 Member
edited September 26 in Health and Weight Loss
So MFP gives me 1200 cals ( which I try to stay as close a possible too and eat back my excercise cals) and i am somewhat active but my BMR is 1380. Someone told me you should never eat below your BMR cause it can cause starvation mode? Is this true?

Replies

• I really think that depends on the amount of body fat that you have. For example, someone with more than 30% body fat has less to worry about, than some one at a lean 10%. Especially for a female. If you want to stick with eating below your BMR, I would just try to make sure i could counter-balance any negative affects as much as possible:
    * take a multivitamin and omega 3-6-9
    * eat a high protein/low carb diet. (not Atkins, more P90X Phase 1)
    * if you start to notice any health issues as a result(e.g., low blood sugar, fatigue, dizzyness, etc), STOP and consult a physician.

I tend to fall below my BMR a lot too, and I have noticed, that if I fall too low, for too long, I feel like crap. It becomes very easy to remember to eat more.

Here is an interesting discussion on it: http://caloriecount.about.com/eating-under-bmr-pros-cons-ft88652

Hope this helps.
This discussion has been closed.