Help with a workout plan! Going from cardio to lifting!

Options
Hi All,

I am in need for some help with developing a workout plan. I am trying to switch from cardio to a combo of lifting weights and doing cardio. I started my weightloss journey back in September. Since then I have ate healthy and been doing strictly cardio. I have lost 55 pounds so far and I am within 20 pounds of my goal weight. I think I should switch up my workout and involve some strength training. The main reason I have not done this is because I have been so busy with school and work. I normally go to the gym for around an hour and 15 minutes and I am on the treadmill for about 40 minutes and bike for 30 minutes. My classes just ended this week and I am going down to part time at work starting next week so I will have more time to work out.

I am mainly looking at continuing my cardio and trying to do about an hour or so cardio still and maybe an hour or so lifting. The problem is I have only lifted wieghts for a short period of time a few years back. I will be the first to admit I am weak. I need some advice on how I should start my new workout program? How many times a week should I lift? I also was told I should do days where I just work on biceps, triceps, back/shoulders, chest, ect. Is that a good plan to follow? I also know a few exercises but I would love to hear what some of yalls favorite ones are. I am planning on going to the gym 4 to 6 times a week.

Thanks for any advice yall may have :)

Replies

• ucaminax
    ucaminax Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I don't have any advice for you but I'm in the same situation pretty much, so I thought I'd bump your post up! :-)
  • thomaslh83
    thomaslh83 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    You might want to look into doing some HIIT (High-Intesnity Interval Training) or Circuit Training where you do 3-4 circuits of Strength Building and Cardio. Kettlebell workouts are good to incorporate into these types of training. You can find tons of videos on either YouTube - you can even google and find a bunch of results. I wish you luck, my friend!
  • notreatsforme
    Options
    i don't know if you go to a gym that offers classes or not, but I take a class at my gym called bodyworks. Basically, for 60 minutes you are doing free weight burn outs per muscle group. There are many heart rate changes. I wear a moniter and average about 650 calories per hour. Major sweat class and a good workout feeling when its over. It is my new addiction.
  • cc2r1511
    cc2r1511 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I just posted a similar post an someone answered with a website link that breaks down all the parts of the body and all the exercises that work out that muscle. It even shows you the choices between doing it with dumbbells, cables, barbell, etc. I think that starting with strength training 3 days a week and then increasing it as you gain more strength is a good way to start. I already do some strength training but I was looking for a complete body plan that i can work all the muscles in my body and "check" off each exercise.

Here is the link:
    http://www.exrx.net/Lists/Directory.html

Hope this helps!
  • notsohidnminnie
    Options
    I used to work with a trainer and we would do either circuit training or some interval training. These worked better for me because my endurance is low which makes me tire easily. Good luck!
  • tami7447
    tami7447 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Thanks for asking the question, I am also looking for some good advice on this as well. Good luck!
  • bmramsey0614
    bmramsey0614 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    @thomaslh83. I am not sure what a "kettlebell " is? I will look into it though. I will google it later. Thanks for the tip :)

@notreatsforme. My gym does offer classes. They offer these: Circuit wieght training, cardio kickboxing, step & sculpt and yoga. I am thinking the weight training and kickboxing will be fun and new for my lifting and cardio workout. Also, what kind of HRM do you use? I am looking into buying one.

@cc2r1511. Thanks for the link going to look into it now :)

Thanks for the information thus far :)
  • notreatsforme
    Options
    My hrm is polar- I got it a dunhams about 2 years ago for about 60 bucks. I agree- another good class is yoga (wish mine at the gym was so late at night.) I am not a "stepper" but heard they are a workout too. Good luck