chocolate vs carob

Options
has anyone tried carob instead of chocolate? I like carob but haven't had it in a long time and I no longer crave or eat chocolate but rarely. I've heard carob is nutritious. To me it has sort of a mocha taste.

Replies

• Rubie81
    Rubie81 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    I'm going to have to google that. I've never heard of it before.
  • DianaPowerUp
    DianaPowerUp Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Boy, you don't find carob around like you used to. I forgot all about it. Personally, I don't like the taste. I don't know about it's nutritional value vs. chocolate, but a quality piece of dark chocolate is heavenly, and good for you too!
  • Compassion8
    Options
    Dark chocolate is the best, but I decided to cut choc out of my diet all together (at least week days) and I can tell a difference already. It's nice to know there is an alternative! I had never heard of it and am looking forward to trying it out :)
  • sara_m83
    sara_m83 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    yuck, I hate carob. You'll have to google the nutritional value of carob, but for me, I'd rather just have chocolate and enjoy it :)
  • ❤B☩❤
    ❤B☩❤ Posts: 634
    Options
    I went * 14* years without eating chocolate and I substituted it with carob. I couldn't really tell too much of a difference, but I baked with it. I didn't eat it like a candy bar or anything.

I had my first bite of chocolate with my chocolate wedding cake! Well worth the wait!

But I am now a SLAVE for Special Dark Chocolate!
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    I gave up sweets completely and it was the best thing in the world. I don't miss them or crave them one bit--which is hard to believe because I used to think I HAD to have some every day.
  • muffintopminx
    muffintopminx Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    I tried carob and.... meh.
    I'd rather eat less chcoolate than trade it in for carob.
  • awesome_orchid
    Options
    274650.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
    my heath food store USED to carry Carob, but I havent thought about that in ages and I dont think it tastes like chocolate. I agree that DARK chocolate is the best thing and only in moderation. Its good for your heart supposedly.
    JM student vocational nurse
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    I tried carob and.... meh.
    I'd rather eat less chcoolate than trade it in for carob.

Carob reminds me of chocolate enough to make me miss it.
    Similar texture, but not so much in taste.

I don't consider the chocolate to be as much of a problem as the sugar.
    I've always loved dark chocolate and usually the higher the percent of cocoa the less sugar.

My only problem is that it seldom comes in single serving bars.
    And of course the only way to get rid of temptation is to eat it.
    (well, usually I'll buy at lunchtime and share with my co-workers)
  • youngtweezy
    youngtweezy Posts: 183
    Options
    Here's a basic nutritional comparison of carob & chocolate chips.
    http://www.twofoods.com/compare/query/Y2Fyb2IgY2hpcHM=/Y2hvY29sYXRlIGNoaXBz
  • chris0912
    chris0912 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    i was at a whole foods recently (don't have one where i live) and bought some thinking it'd be a good swap out so i could make "better" cookies next time hubs wants a batch. got them home and compared to his chips... no big difference! i was so disappointed!
  • VixFit2011
    VixFit2011 Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    I gave up sweets completely and it was the best thing in the world. I don't miss them or crave them one bit--which is hard to believe because I used to think I HAD to have some every day.

Good for you! I have a terrible battle with sweet cravings. What are some of your ways you got it under control? I ceased chocolate cravings after heart surgery but sugar cravings won't go away. I used stevia sprinkled on berries at times and love it.
  • Improvised
    Improvised Posts: 925 Member
    Options
    I've tried both. Carob tastes bad, bleh. Chocolate wins, hands down.
  • Tangerine302
    Tangerine302 Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    Our health store had some carob covered almonds. I bought some. They weren't too bad. I get the slight mocha taste as well. It's like it is the same texture as chocolate, but almost sweeter than chocolate. We used to have carob trees outside our house when we were little. :) I was surprised at the comparison between carob and chocolate chips from the link posted.
  • thechocoholic
    Options
    Many people have been introduced to carob via those nasty little buttons they sell in the health food stores. Most of these buttons have no added sugar and are overly bitter. In my belief this gives carob a bad name and let me tell you why.

I’ve introduced carob to a fair few people over the years. I have always liked the taste of it myself in baked goods. There are several real advantages with carob namely, it is high in protein and contains many vitamins and minerals. Perhaps even more importantly, it is naturally sweeter than coco which means you can reduce the sugar content in your treats. This is a real bonus for people with diabetes and generally those who want to reduce calorie intake. Mostly, when I make something with carob and tell people that it is say, a ‘chocolate brownie’ they enjoy it. However, when I later tell them that it was carob instead, they are less than impressed. It’s a bit like the old Coca-Cola vs. Pepsi battle. Why not try using carob in place of coco next time and see what your guests say before telling them? :tongue:

For a bit more unbiased carob info please check: http://taleof2c.wordpress.com/
  • 1judy1
    Options
    I've had carob powder in homemade hot "cocoa", with almond milk, vanilla, stevia and cinnamon. I've recovered from ten years of insomnia. Trying to avoid stimulants. :flowerforyou:
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    I like both chocolate and carob. But I haven't seen carob around in quite a long time.