Protein & Fat

Options
I always seem to go over the recommended daily goal, it's always less then 10, but I am wondering how much of a difference is that...and should I be worried over it?

Replies

• Canelitas
    Canelitas Posts: 712
    Options
    I always seem to go over the recommended daily goal, it's always less then 10, but I am wondering how much of a difference is that...and should I be worried over it?
  • CrystalBella
    CrystalBella Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    I go over my protein by alot. My fat I pretty much stay around what it says or lower. If they have it fat free I get it. I've heard that it doesn't matter to to much about those. Just to watch your calories. Everyone seems to have something different that works for them.. I found a site that says what your "recommended daily goal" of these should be. Check it out, ya never know. Mine was alil higher than here cause MFP is goin by percentage, this site is goin by what it should be regardless...

http://www.healthcalculators.org/index.html

Hope you find what you need! :flowerforyou:
  • LifesPilgrim
    LifesPilgrim Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I would agree, look at the overall calorie counts. Just watch the fats very carefully. I usually go over more on my proteins also.
  • bnlmembercb
    Options
    I lift every day, and have a muscular build, so I try to get as much protein as possible. One thing that I read on here that another member recommended was to keep the carbs up close to the daily goal. I have definitely noticed that when I don't have enough carbs, I feel lethargic in my cardio. Its a huge switch from the Atkin's diet that I did years ago in high school - it worked well in off seasons of sports to lose a lot of wieght, and I used to think that it was good. I have learned the hard way. 5 months ago (aged 21 at the time) I had my gall bladder removed, and the surgeon attributed my "50 year old gallbladder" to the high fat diet that I was on for a considerable amount of time.

A few years ago I joined the online weight watchers for men. It had a similar set up, but used a "points" system. It was helpful in the sense that it allowed me to record my daily food intake and exercise, but it was lacking something... the social support. I never wanted to go find a "meeting" and ultimately I feel that is what led me from sticking to it longer than 8 months. I even sought a nutritionist at the college I was at who told me, and I can't make this up: "Dont worry about weight in college, because with dining halls and the lack of making your own food its too difficult to manage." I couldn't believe a health professional, at such a medical oriented university would give such terrible advice, and I ended up not following the program much after that.

This program adds the social support that I needed, not to mention FREE which also makes it more desirable. This is definitely a great program.

Thats my little rant on that haha.

I absolutely love how supportive everyone is!
  • mknipp
    mknipp Posts: 106
    Options
    I did Atkins, too, when it first came out (all those years ago). I lost weight and was never that "hungry" but I didn't feel that "well" for most of the time I was on it. There are "good carbs" and "bad carbs" but back then, it was mostly "all carbs" that got eliminated. Now we know better, I think.... I also tried Weight Watchers. Didn't like getting weighed in front of a group; didn't get much out of the meetings, and seemed to lose interest. Now I just watch my calories and fats, and that seems to work. I've learned one important thing: I EAT SALAD for dinner, and I don't have that "midnight snack" craving. I also drink lots of Bigelow Decaf Green Tea and chew Green Tea gum a lot. It really has made a difference. Mostly my exercise is walking outside and treadmill. I have osteoarthritis and fibromyalgia, so I do the back strengthening exercises twice a day, 30 minutes, but that doesn't seem to count calorie-wise.

I know you'll have success. This site is wonderful! and FREE is GREAT.

mknipp
  • lenmana
    lenmana Posts: 171
    Options
    Yeah, I tend to go over my protein pretty easily too, but I've still lost weight. I've kind of figured that if I eat meat at one meal a day I can stay in the range. I try to always stay in my fat range because of heart health and on the days that I eat GOOD FATS (nuts, avocado) I don't stress about it if it goes a little over. I think carbs have a major impact on my weight so I always stay within...usually below the suggested.

Have a great, healthy week!!!
  • aluxem
    aluxem Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have been told that I need more protein that what the site estimated. I don't think there is anything wrong with going over your protein numbers, as long as you monitor fat and calories. Essentially lean protein is better (beans, chicken, fish, etc). I was told to eat seafood at least 3 times per week. If you are eating lots of read meat, you will probably struggle to keep your calories and fat in check. A combination of protein and complex carbohydrates will keep you feeling full longer without the crash you can get with refined sugars, with is what is used frequently in low fat foods.
  • Canelitas
    Canelitas Posts: 712
    Options
    Thanks for all the replys and support! :flowerforyou: