how to slim my calves

Options
luv2ash
luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
Okay---so on my weight loss journey I have been exercising to TurboJam (kickboxing) DVDs and doing some ChalEAN Extreme as well. I am thrilled with my progress--I go try on clothes and love what I see--thats because I am trying on Jeans.

Well today I went to try on shorts. WHAT!!!!!! My calves are horrible. They look the same as they did before I lose weight. They are like stumps. Give me my jeans back!!

My question is.......is anyone aware of ways to slim my calves down? I fear that I concentrated so hard on TurboJam which has done wonders for my hibs, core, thighs, butt, that I have ignored my calves. Hmmmmmm...........

Replies

• merrillfoster
    merrillfoster Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I have massive calves (always have, they're even 2 different sizes, lucky me), so I'm curious about that.
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    Like exercises? Seated and standing calf raises? Not sure what else though. Running helps ha!
  • luv2ash
    Options
    Like exercises? Seated and standing calf raises? Not sure what else though. Running helps ha!

do you think the calf raises would make them bulkier--not sure on this one either.
  • absolament
    absolament Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Try yoga. Might be that your calves are very muscular and tight. It'll take a couple of months of regular yoga exercise to notice a difference. You might be able to find isolated yoga moves that stretch just the calves on the internet... but getting all of your muscles flexible helps prevent injury.
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options

do you think the calf raises would make them bulkier--not sure on this one either.

It would sure tone them, All I can think would be lower weight to tone without adding a ton of size.
  • absolament
    Options
    Also, depending on the style of Pilates, you can get long lean muscles from several of those exercises. Particularly the ones utilizing the "frog-leg" methods.
  • richiefixo
    richiefixo Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    running and stretching them after any exercise so you build lean muscles instead of clumpy muscles. I used to have HUGE CALVES too but they slimmed down as i lost weight though Keep loosing and eventually your body will trim the calves in its time. i know how you feel tho. i HATE my calves too hehe
  • ChessRonin
    ChessRonin Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    You can NOT control where you lose weight. The only way to slim your calves is to keep slimming in general. Period. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.
  • SolidGoaled
    SolidGoaled Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    Also, depending on the style of Pilates, you can get long lean muscles from several of those exercises. Particularly the ones utilizing the "frog-leg" methods.

Wow - for once we didn't hear the "no such thing as spot reducing" speech... So you can just stretch the calf muscles into longer leaner shape rather than the plump "Popeye" look?

I am interested to hear more opinions on this - sounds too good to be true.
  • RProhofsky
    RProhofsky Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    There is no such thing as spot reducing. There is no natural way to decrease fat stored in a particular area of the body.

The Theory: We store fat evenly throughout the body

The Reality: The first fat you put on is the last fat to go.

Keep on track, keep losing weight. Don't get discourage you will see results.

The only way to fail is to quit. We are NOT quitters!
  • novatri
    novatri Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Bicycle riding is great for slim high calves. The motion focuses on the upper part of the muscle. So they look slim and healthy, not muscularly bulky. It takes time though for the muscles to adjust.
  • ChessRonin
    ChessRonin Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    To be clear, if your calf muscles are bulky and thats what you want to change, we should be having a different conversation; but I assume that your calves are covered in bulky fat, and that's what you want to change?

If so, then (as mentioned above) you can NOT spot reduce fat. Just keep up the good work and keep dropping pounds of fat. Eventually the fat will burn from your calves too, but when that will happen, no one knows.
  • Mkleder
    Mkleder Posts: 289
    Options
    The fact that your calves trimmed down over time with the weight loss is good news for me. Mine are out of control. If I'm ever in a plane crash in the Andes fellow survivors would be checking out my drumsticks. They have got to go.
  • stephanielynn76
    stephanielynn76 Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    I think calves are largely genetic... sorta like abs. I don't have hardly any :( . I wish I did. I've always liked the look of a pretty round calf muscle. Mine were small despite my efforts to train them however now that I'm thinner they are at least more proportionate to the rest of my body.
  • luv2ash
    Options
    thanks everyone for your great advice--I was just disappointed to see that in the full length mirror--you know after so much hard work and losing 94 pounds---from the knees down--it looked like the hold me still. I really don't know what to think---maybe its genetic? who knows. I've never been thin---so I don't know what they are supposed to look like. they have shape, just still too wide. I am hoping maybe just some walking will help. Once our weather gets warmer (yea, I live in sucky MN, where we saw snow yesterday), hoping to get out and walk the links with the hubs. Who knows, it could be something as simple as walking. But I think I am going to add calf raises as well.

Again, thanks so much for all your advice.
  • michelletyler38
    michelletyler38 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    RUN. My calves are pretty amazing.. Not to brag on myself. lol.
  • foodforfuel
    foodforfuel Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I have always had big calves. I have my father's legs, lol, and I'm a girl. I have learned to embrace them instead of wishing them away. I now have strong, healthy legs and I think they look great! There are some dresses/skirts that fall just above or at the knee that I can't wear because at that length, they don't flatter my legs at all. But even at 47 years old I can still rock a mini skirt should I choose to. I think strength and muscle is sexy, even on women. :happy:
    ETA: Try shorter shorts and see if that makes a difference.
  • Schwiggity
    Schwiggity Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    RUN. My calves are pretty amazing.. Not to brag on myself. lol.

^ this. I've always liked my calves even when I was huge, but since I started running, it seems they've gotten more trim.
  • absolament
    Options
    One of my Pilates instructors has us do frog leg style stretches while we are doing Pilates style crunches. It has changed the shape of my legs by working some of the smaller supporting muscles while also deeply stretching others. I know from personal experience... I love how my legs look. I can't change that I have long thighs in comparison to my lower legs, but I do have shapelier legs altogether.
  • SolidGoaled
    SolidGoaled Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    To be clear, if your calf muscles are bulky and thats what you want to change, we should be having a different conversation; but I assume that your calves are covered in bulky fat, and that's what you want to change?

If so, then (as mentioned above) you can NOT spot reduce fat. Just keep up the good work and keep dropping pounds of fat. Eventually the fat will burn from your calves too, but when that will happen, no one knows.

My calves are bulky with bulky muscle - what conversation should that be, then? Its not fat - they're muscular. So, what can be done?