Taco Salad recipes?

Options
brooke_g0501
brooke_g0501 Posts: 66 Member
Hey guys! OK, so I LOVE Mexican food, and I want to make a taco salad that is really good, but I feel like 460 calories, etc is a lot for one meal! I'm trying to make it w/ all the fixings (thats probably my problem). I have baked tortilla chips, just a few, ground turkey, lettuce, tomato, taco seasoning, refried beans, salsa, taco cheese & sour cream. Do you guys have any ideas on ways to make a good taco salad that isnt too fattening? Or am I asking too much here?? LOL I'm at my goal weight, which is 108 lbs, so is it OK to just splurge once a month on my mexican food??? Thats not to say I dont splurge other days. because I do!! But overall, I've done well sticking to my 1200 calorie diet for the past 2 months. I wouldnt mind losing another couple lbs, but if I stay where I am, I would be OK with that too! What do you all think???

Replies

• luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    i make a taco salad 2-3 times a week only because I can get it to the table in 15 mins. Ground turkey with 1 can of Ro-Tel and taco seasoning. I put that on top of a bed of shredded lettuce and top with low fat cheese. I skip the sour cream, etc as it has too many added carbs. My husband and I actually crave this recipe.

Probalby not what you wanted to hear--as it is missing a lot of your favorite ingredients, but this recipe will give you better results.
  • anzura
    anzura Posts: 171
    Options
    I LOVE taco salads! I usually skip the cheese all together. I mix light sour cream and salsa together for the dressing and use a tiny bit....no more than 2 Tbs. I only put in less than 3 oz of meat and use whole black beans or mini pinto beans. Beans can add up fast, so only use a little. I fill it will good veggies...don't forget red peppers and some corn and green onions! Use Romaine or green leaf instead of ice burg for more nutrients. The corn chips are a must, so go easy. Scoop out a serving or less and crush them on top of your salad. If you know you are having a taco salad for dinner, have a light lunch or skip your afternoon snack.
  • angp7711
    angp7711 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    The one I just had for dinner was. 560 (I used 4 oz of lean sirloin) so I think 460 is good. Maybe just plan an extra workout for Mexican night?
  • jkldsmom
    jkldsmom Posts: 15
    Options
    it is ok to splurge on occaision and have mexican food. for your "everyday" taco salad, try black beans, and leave off the sourcream or use light sour cream. also try 2% cheese. i have found i don't really miss sour cream when i leave it off as long as i hook it up with plenty of pico de gallo. good luck! Gina
  • brooke_g0501
    Options
    Thanks guys! I will have to try some of your ideas! I guess I can cut back on some things to make it more healthy, and I'm sure I can get used to it that way! Maybe I'll only splurge on my birthday at my favorite restaurant, Margaritas!! Which happens to be this weekend! LOL So maybe that will curb my craving!!
  • cupfanncbms
    cupfanncbms Posts: 101
    Options
    I love to eat taco salad. Here's what I do:

I take a semi-large bowl (like a serving bowl, but not huge) and spray it with oil. Then I put my low cal, low carb, high fiber, high protein tortilla (I get them at Sam's club, but Wal Mart has them too) in it and shape into a salad bowl. Bake at 400 until it's crispy.

Then I brown the meat with diced onions, peppers, and garlic. I add cumin, chili powder, pepper, taco sauce, garlic powder, and onion powder. I use this instead of packaged taco seasoning because of the high sodium in the packets.

I put romaine or red leaf or butters lettuce into the bowl, top with the taco meat, sliced olives, fat free sour cream (which I thin down with a little skim milk so it has more coverage), onions, fat free cheese (today's fat free cheese is MUCH better than it ever used to be), etc.
  • VixFit2011
    VixFit2011 Posts: 663 Member
    Options

I take a semi-large bowl (like a serving bowl, but not huge) and spray it with oil. Then I put my low cal, low carb, high fiber, high protein tortilla (I get them at Sam's club, but Wal Mart has them too) in it and shape into a salad bowl. Bake at 400 until it's crispy.

Then I brown the meat with diced onions, peppers, and garlic. I add cumin, chili powder, pepper, taco sauce, garlic powder, and onion powder. I use this instead of packaged taco seasoning because of the high sodium in the packets.

I put romaine or red leaf or butters lettuce into the bowl, top with the taco meat, sliced olives, fat free sour cream (which I thin down with a little skim milk so it has more coverage), onions, fat free cheese (today's fat free cheese is MUCH better than it ever used to be), etc.

Nice recipe...I would add black beans or kidney beans or both and I like the taste of wish bone french dressing if you can find it and maybe some canned diced green chiles.
  • jpw430
    jpw430 Posts: 20 Member
    Options

Thanks! I have missed having the shell with a taco salad - I couldn't think of a reasonable switch. I will give this a try as soon as possible!
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I make "dressing" for my salad vegetables before I put the meat and beans on top. I use 2 tablespoons each of salsa and low fat sour cram and mix it together. With the brands I use, that gives me 4 tablespoons of salad dressing for 80 calories. Plus it tastes great!
  • FullOfSpice
    FullOfSpice Posts: 176 Member
    Options

I do pretty much the same thing. If I dont make a bowl, I take a tortilla (about 50 calories) and bake it and crumble it on top. I start with lots of lettuce. Add about 1/4 cup of refried beans. (I make my refried beans by taking 1 can of fat free refried beans, mixing it with homemade taco seasoning, and 1/2 cup of tomato sauce and 1/2 cup of water. I let that cook for a bit. ) Then I top that with some grilled chicken, about 1/4 cup. Add diced tomatoes, onions, peppers. I top it with chipotle sauce mixed with cottage cheese and some of the tortilla chips. You can also add some avocados for some good fat and creaminess.
  • dennypup
    dennypup Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the great ideas! I'm gonna make one to tonight!
  • perrytyra
    perrytyra Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I start with lean meat and my own seasonings. To keep on eye on the calories you can look up the serving size for the chips, and make your bowl individual. I just add the chips, meat, shredded cheese(you can always do 2 percent) tomato and lettuce. I used to add Rach dressing, but now I usually don't. If I have flavored the meat enough, it usually tastes good all by itself. My son likes to add salsa to his.
  • kmparks24
    kmparks24 Posts: 198
    Options
    I use ground turkey meat and my own seasonings since the taco seasoning packets are loaded in sodium. Brown turkey, chopped onion and garlic on the stove. Add seasonings once meat is brown along with a bit of water. Let water reduce down. Remove from heat. Along side I have a 'buffet' of goodness. Lettuce, tomatoes, avocado, black beans, black olives, salsa, fat free sour cream, 2% cheese, low cal/fat free Russian/California dressing and BAKED DORITOS. Make your way down the line and top as desired. It's fantastic! I keep everything seperate in the fridge in case I go back for leftovers. I can again top as desired and my lettuce won't wilt :)
  • Pat_Johnson
    Pat_Johnson Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    YUM! funny I went here to ask this question because I'm making tacos for my family tonight. Great Ideas thanks guys
  • brooke_g0501
    Options
    I guess my problem is the taco seasoning packet, because that does have a lot of sodium, but I've never seasoned the meat on my own, so I wasnt sure how to or what to use! How would I bake the whole wheat tortilla shell? I cant put a bowl in the oven, so is there a different way to do it? Thanks for all the great ideas, I cant wait to try!!!
  • mrsbrown2k1
    mrsbrown2k1 Posts: 139
    Options
    One thing I didn't see anyone mention was Fat Free Plain Greek Yogurt! This tasted just like sour cream!!! I am a huge Mexican food lover as well. I eat Taco salads often. I love sour cream but not the calories & such so I switched over the Greek Yogurt and you wouldn't know the difference. A whole yogurt sized carton is only 80 calories.
  • alisa422
    alisa422 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi... I will bring you a bowl you can put in the oven!! Love ya!! and I love to read your posts!!!
  • brooke_g0501
    Options
    Great idea using greek plain yogurt! Thanks Lisa!!
  • cupfanncbms
    cupfanncbms Posts: 101
    Options
    I guess my problem is the taco seasoning packet, because that does have a lot of sodium, but I've never seasoned the meat on my own, so I wasnt sure how to or what to use! How would I bake the whole wheat tortilla shell? I cant put a bowl in the oven, so is there a different way to do it? Thanks for all the great ideas, I cant wait to try!!!

I have serving bowls that are like... stoneware, maybe? I also use my pyrex dish that's just the right size.