I come from the land of Spark People!

Options
Hey, my name is Hillary, I'm 21 years old, married and currently living in the Wahiawa area of Oahu, Hawaii. I met my husband in the Army before I got out due to injury related fitness issues (just in time for the economy crash!) and now we're very happily married and stationed in paradise. I rarely have any problems with the injury that nabbed me that honorable discharge, but occasionally I'll have a twinge of pain while walking or carrying heavy items. I'm very grateful that it doesn't disrupt my daily life.

However, since leaving the Army, I have fallen to a very low level of fitness and have gained about 25 pounds in two years. It's not the heaviest I've ever been, but very close. Actually, this only started once my husband got home from deployment and started driving me everywhere. I used to walk, run, or bike to places, which allowed me to keep the weight off for the most part. Once cars came into play, I gained an atrocious amount of weight.

Yesterday, we went grocery shopping, and also picked up some doodads, including some dumbbells. We bought a ton of fresh produce, a lot of seafood, and barely any processed foods. I was determined to get us back in a healthy lifestyle. I've been cranking the dumbbells all day, and made sure to eat breakfast (which we often forget to do). It made me feel very happy that I was finally paying attention to my health again.

In December 2010, I found the website sparkpeople.com, which is essentially MFP except orange and slightly more cluttered. The exercise plans were extensive, and the food database and planning system was excellent. But for some reason, I had a hard time caring. Maybe it was the orange. Regardless, I knew I couldn't lean on a website to motivate me, so I tried to motivate myself. Four months later, my friend in Pennsylvania has been using this site to track her progress. I saw her posts on facebook and decided to check this out. To my delight, it wasn't orange. It's simple, not exhaustive, and it feels open. There's a level of community, but not to the point where it beats you over the head. I love sparkpeople for many unique reasons, but I think I'm starting to love MFP for many more.

I'm going to begin my lifestyle transformation (and committment) but trying to CARE. Monitoring my eating and exercising habits is the first step, and so I'm going to make it my goal to check in here every day. I failed with that goal four months ago with spark people, but it's not about my mistakes, it's about having the motivation to keep going despite them. The next goal is to reinstate my mental drill sergeant (I spent 5 weeks in basic training after I was injured just having people scream at me to do stuff and ohhh man, was I in the best shape of my life) and have that self-motivation to move mountains. And then, one day, I will WANT to do all this. Not just to lose weight, but because I like it. I can only hope I get to that level of masochism soon. :) I jest.

If you've read this wall of text, then you now know me well, and - guess what - I want to be your friend! I'm talkative as all get out, but maybe that just makes me a good candidate for blogging? I hope to get to know many of you guys and travel through the world of weight loss with you. My husband is about to start a crazy 45 day weight loss/bulk up/run fast routine because he has to get a better score on his physical fitness tests, and I just can't do all the things he's doing. I need some sane friends!

Oh yeah, I did all that talking and didn't even state my goals!

I'm 21 years old, 5'8" and 175 lbs. Thank goodness I'm tall-ish cause it all fills out for the most part.
My goal weight is 135 lbs because that's pretty much the healthiest weight I should aim for, and at this point I just want to lose these 40 lbs by Christmas. It's bikini season here all year, I've got until we get stationed somewhere else :P

Replies

• RitaPrior
    RitaPrior Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP. I came from Spark People too and I will be honest, I WILL NEVER GO BACK. The people here are so welcoming and I love it. Add me as a friend if you wish.
  • SherryR1971
    SherryR1971 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    I, too, had a profile on Spark people and the people on here are DEFINITELY sooooo friendly! I love it!!
  • suzukigurl
    Options
    Welcome to MFP! I hope you continue to enjoy the site, I have been using it for a little while now and like it a lot. I never used a site like this before and started using it to support my best friend only to find it benenficial to myself. Good luck in your journey!! Feel free to add me as a friend :smile:
  • LJCannon
    LJCannon Posts: 3,636 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Hello and Welcome to MFP!!
  • stepherjensen
    stepherjensen Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Welcome! This website is awesome - I don't know anything about spark people, but I HATE the colour orange! Please feel free to add me - I'm a Canadian, and trust me, it is NOT bikini season here...ever...LOL :D
  • sexygenius
    sexygenius Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    feel free to add me! im pretty awesome...XD
    (oh that goes to everyone reading.. not just the poster)
  • Hourglass25
    Hourglass25 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Hello I'm Dahiana, and I registered to spark people but I LOVE mfp!!! I never used spark people. Feel free to add me, and good luck with your weight loss:)
  • jtndle
    jtndle Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Welcome! We were stationed at Hickam a couple of years ago and I still miss it every day. It was the only place i have shed a tear over leaving! Good luck on your weight loss and enjoy Hawaii while you have it!
  • StephanieJ82
    Options
    "Maybe it was the orange" LMAO Hilarious!
    Welcome! I have been here a month and I love it!!!
  • daisy89
    daisy89 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Welcome!!

I started out on Spark People. It works for some, but I wasn't one of them.

It wasn't until I found MFP that I actually lost weight, and that I was motivated enough to keep going with it!

I don't even remember my SP password anymore, lol.

I know how you feel about everything being so cluttered. I could never even find "my profile" on there.

It's definitely a great site, but it needs more tweaking in the user friendliness department.

Also, we're all glad you're here! I love the community here, and the amazing people I've met. =]
  • PegasusDeb
    PegasusDeb Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Hi feel free to add me as well!

I was a former Spark People too. I still get their e'mails. I like them, but I find them a bit over-whelming! It's too much information!
    Good luck in your journey!
  • GunslingerGirl
    GunslingerGirl Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Well, welcome to MFP.
    Feel free to add me for support and just as a friend :smile:
  • chattygirl2
    chattygirl2 Posts: 103
    Options
    Hi! I have been here for a month and had a few friends but they never posted or encouraged me so ...... I have lost 10 lbs... but more in inches!! I am pretty talkative as well and I love to cook! I like finding new ways to make comfort foods into a healthy dish! :)
    Add me as a friend so we can help each other! I'm in Jacksonville Beach Florida and it is bikini season here!! lol Not for me yet!! :D

Gina
  • 1FitMom326
    1FitMom326 Posts: 228
    Options
    I am on Spark as well, but I am overwhelmed there sometimes. I have never really met people there like I have here, people that motivate and encourgage for every little thing. It really helps and so many people to ask questions of here. I love it.
  • 123nikki123
    123nikki123 Posts: 527
    Options
    Welcome to MFP...I came from there too! Actually, I still have the account but haven't logged into it for months:) I really like this site better...actually, I think it's the people....yep, it's the people! :smile: