Dance Dance Revolution!

Options
Does anybody know how many calories are burned while playing DDR?

I go to a local Arcade once a week, and play DDR with the owner's kid for about 80 minutes! I usually switch from standard to difficult mode! I would guess 15 to 20 minutes is just picking the song! I always leave with my hair soppy wet with sweat!

Replies

• LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    get a heart rate monitor and check! I bet it's a lot!
  • mommymovingmountains
    mommymovingmountains Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    It burns way more than you would think! I burned 375 in 45 minutes according to my HRM :)
  • LynnBirchfield
    LynnBirchfield Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    I would consider that high aerobics.
  • ms_blonde_2008
    Options
    I LOVE DDR! Haven't played in a while. I have the game and you can go to the workout area and put in how many calories you want to burn (IF i'm remembering correctly) but I don't think you can do that at an arcade. Wish I could have helped more though!
  • spaztastic13
    Options
    I love DDR .... i have it for the wii and i put it on workout mode and it says i burn about 85 cals in 15 mins but of course thats probably just an guesstimate but its a good workout!!!!!
  • dobergfell
    Options
    I weigh 194 lbs and I love DDR. I play at home on my XBOX where it has a calorie calculator built in. At my weight I tend to burn about 375 calories per hour...and that is taking very limited time picking songs. I find it to be great exercise. Not quite as much burn as an elliptical workout, but way more interesting. For what it is worth, it seems to be about 2/3 as much burn as working out on an elliptical machine.
  • kdudeff
    kdudeff Posts: 1
    Options
    Get a game system and a pad for home...In 2 hours I burned close to 800 calories, there is a workout mode and it's great!!!
  • tdotwitch
    tdotwitch Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Wooo and oldie but a goodie. I haven't used that since I got Dance Central but now I've got the urge to play. Like everyone here says if you get the home version you can count calories. I'm pretty sure you can get it for PC if you don't wanna buy a gaming system.
  • jerney623
    jerney623 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    This information was found on the LIVESTRONG website: In 2007, researchers from the La Crosse Exercise and Health Program at the University of Wisconsin studied the health benefits of Dance Dance Revolution. The research found that DDR players burned an average of 5.9 calories per minute when playing "light mode." Players burned 6.7 calories per minute when playing "standard mode" and 8.1 calories per minute when playing "difficult mode."

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/302934-calories-burned-playing-dance-dance-revolution/#ixzz2gK9JTr81

I added Dance Dance Revolution to the exercise database based on this article's stats. Reading the previous posts, it appears to be in range with people who have HRMs