Strength training tips for boxing?

Options
I'm 5'11", 158 lbs (not sure if that's important, but there it is), and I need some tips in order to become a more effective boxer/kickboxer. At the gym I've always gone by 3 sets of 10 reps, heavy weight. But I've been reading some conflicting reports online and I'm not sure what to do anymore...Thanks!

Replies

• xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    if you want muscle growth..do 10 reps..if you want strength do heavier at lower reps..usually around 3-6. for more sets. to failure.
  • JesseP18
    JesseP18 Posts: 19
    Options
    Well that's kinda what I'm asking. Is what I'm already doing at the gym ok? I do cardio and all that other stuff, so I have that covered. I just want to know if the way I strength train is good for boxing
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    If your doing sets of ten, but only three sets, maybe a routine change is in order. I think you would more benefit from a 5x5 type routine. Because; if you can lift the weight ten times, it isn't heavy enough for only three sets.
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    On a side note, it has been my experience that speed, skill, and stamina beats strength in most fights.

Edit- strength building lifts are done with smooth form, at moderate speed.
    Power building lifts are all about speed, lift fast. Example: Go to about 60% of your normal bench weight, and press with max speed to failure. This is something you could do with just three sets. Don't worry about counting reps, just keep going until you start to loose controll of your form.
  • NikkiDerrig386
    NikkiDerrig386 Posts: 1,096 Member
    Options
    Watch Rocky and boxing movies. They always show them working out. My fav is when Rocky is running at an incline on the tredmill!!
  • JesseP18
    JesseP18 Posts: 19
    Options
    Alright thanks a lot guys