PSA on peanut butter

Options
Peanut butter goes bad. Everybody learn from my mistake. I didn't think peanut butter ever went bad.

*ew, peanut butter oil all over the counter and my hand and my elbow*

Replies

• magdalune
    magdalune Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter goes bad. Everybody learn from my mistake. I didn't think peanut butter ever went bad.

*ew, peanut butter oil all over the counter and my hand and my elbow*
  • pbjsand
    pbjsand Posts: 58
    Options
    Yes, it can go bad. Sorry you had to have that experience. It's yucky when the oil separates. Hope you go it all cleaned up.
  • mlck2323
    mlck2323 Posts: 87
    Options
    the oil separation is natural....i am a peanut butter addict and i've never seen it go bad. Although I eat probably a jar every week and a half so....
  • kewright
    kewright Posts: 18
    Options
    What brand peanut butter was it? The natural peanut butters are supposed to have oil separate & you mix it before using it.
  • tamifanny
    tamifanny Posts: 113
    Options
    Yes the natural peanut butter oil does seperate. Peanut butter will go rancide. You can tell by the smell. It was smell stale:sick: . My mother in law uses it anyway. Eeewww.
  • Erica92627
    Erica92627 Posts: 576
    Options
    if you get the natural peanut butter , it tells you "no need to stir" I have never had peanut butter go bad, never thought it was possible.

I guess it is?
  • magdalune
    Options
    JIF brand, it had been opened approx a year ago. It's natural for the oil to separate, but that smell was awful, and it didn't spread the way good peanut butter does.
  • tamifanny
    tamifanny Posts: 113
    Options
    I use Skippy Creamy. It has an expiration date on the top of the lid. Does yours?
  • obliged
    obliged Posts: 465
    Options
    JIF brand, it had been opened approx a year ago. It's natural for the oil to separate, but that smell was awful, and it didn't spread the way good peanut butter does.

:noway: a year ago
    :noway:
  • magdalune
    Options
    I only realized how long it had been in the house after I knew it was bad. I'm the only one in my family who eats creamy peanut butter, and I haven't in a while since we didn't have any jelly, and since I was gone all through the last school year.