Please tell me what im doing wrong!!

Options

Replies

• BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    jerzite - when you say you gain weight when you up your calories to 1200, it's probably because your body is used to surviving on 800 a day and therefore your metabolism will be very slow, holding onto all the calories it can get, so by suddenly 'shocking' it with 1200, you will gain weight for a bit as your metabolism speeds up and gets back to normal, then you will start losing again, and at a faster pace, trust me.

Exactly.

You have to give your body time to adjust. If you are strength training you will gain in the beginning as well and then you will start to lose. Your body has to get use to the new changes. It doesn't happen over night.
  • dlaplume2
    dlaplume2 Posts: 1,658 Member
    Options
    When i up my calories to 1200 a day i gain weight! If you look back at my progress the first week or so it was set at 1200.. i gained almost 4 pounds... ! so the last 20 days i started at 136 and right now im still 136!! UGGG

I don't know what you diet was like before, but looking at the photo you do not have much to lose. If you set your calories at 1200 and gained it could have been that you were in starvation mode before, it could have been water weight, it could have been TOM. You need to give it some time.
    The other thing is the closer you are to goal weight you need to lower you expectations and plan to lose 1/2 a lb a week.

I also think you need to look at your goal, you may be trying to get too low. I don't know what your height is, 136 isn't a bad weight for anyone over 5'3-5'4
  • jerzite
    jerzite Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I was 240lbs, 20 years ago... i lost 100 pounds in 9 months by taking ephedrine, (back in the day when it was legal) and lots of it. I have been on the YO YO for many many years, the last 6 years though i have kept a solid 10 off each year, yet still gain additional weight. Im trying NOT to YO YO anymore, so i eat healthier and move more! Its all about making better choices, and i do!
    Im 5 lbs more than this time last year, which is pretty awesome, because i usually gain 15-20 annually ! Im 5'4". i have lots of extra skin and FLAB from being so heavy. No matter what i do i still have that MUFFIN top and arm wings, and excess flab on my inner thighs. Im 43 years old, My period stopped almost 5 months ago.
    It just seems with the amount of cardio i do, the healthy way i eat, i even take synergy multi and D3, i shouldnt have these problems!
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    I was 240lbs, 20 years ago... i lost 100 pounds in 9 months by taking ephedrine, (back in the day when it was legal) and lots of it. I have been on the YO YO for many many years, the last 6 years though i have kept a solid 10 off each year, yet still gain additional weight. Im trying NOT to YO YO anymore, so i eat healthier and move more! Its all about making better choices, and i do!
    Im 5 lbs more than this time last year, which is pretty awesome, because i usually gain 15-20 annually ! Im 5'4". i have lots of extra skin and FLAB from being so heavy. No matter what i do i still have that MUFFIN top and arm wings, and excess flab on my inner thighs. Im 43 years old, My period stopped almost 5 months ago.
    It just seems with the amount of cardio i do, the healthy way i eat, i even take synergy multi and D3, i shouldnt have these problems!

42 or 43 is fairly early to go through menopause. Have you seen a doctor?
  • jerzite
    Options
    Yep, he says i may occasionally have one, and if i feel like i want to kill someone to give em a call!!
  • jerzite
    Options
    I do eat the 1200 a day.. because i earn the extra 400-500 with exercise!
  • starboardzor
    Options

Never seen this before.. awesome article, thanks!! That's funny.. I wasn't quite that bad, but I was close. I was always so confused as to why i couldn't lose weight when I felt like I never ate. Now I eat several meals a day and I feel like I'm always eating.. and have overall lost almost 30lbs since. I wish more people were aware of this.
  • TS65
    TS65 Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options

The 1200 calories is net calories, not total calories.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/3047-700-calories-a-day-and-not-losing

Please read the above article. It will definitely help you understand what you're doing wrong.
  • lisafred24
    lisafred24 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    When you were at 1200 calories, what were they made up of? Were you eating healthy at 1200 or were you eating what ever you wanted and stopping at 1200? Were you eating a lot of carbs? That might be the reason you gained at 1200. If that is not the answer, and 1200 is too high and obviously 800 is too low (your body thinks your starving so it is shutting down your metabolism), go for a happy medium of 1000 and see what happens. Good luck.
  • jerzite
    Options
    Can you view my daily food? Take a look, all good stuff!!
  • TS65
    TS65 Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Can you view my daily food? Take a look, all good stuff!!

No - you need to change your settings so the "public" can see it.
  • funkythreads2004
    funkythreads2004 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Are you just taking notice of the calories, or are you taking into account fat, carbs and proteins? I was trying to explain to somebody that eating 3 chocolate bars lets just say for example they are 400 cals each & 70g fat (its an example), although you maybe still be within your daily calorie limit, you would be over your fat limit x 2 so defeating the object of weight loss. Also just eating high calorie food like this could put you in starvation mode so you wont lose weight. I know quite a lot of people who are just going on calories alone and ignore the others things. Clearly im no expert, but i watch all 4 columns everyday.
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options

No you should eat 1200 minimum a day without exercise. With exercise you should at least be eating 1400.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,243 Member
    Options
    If you are really gaining weight at 1200 calories a day, that is not retaining water or irregular, then at your height you really need to check out other things. You should not be gaining at that point. You are also in that area where losing takes lots of time. A goal of 1/2 pound a week would be reasonable. I would also suggest weight training. It will tone up your muscles. Walking is fine as an exercise, but won't do anything to help you lose those 8 pounds. You need something more demanding that burns a good amount of fat. That would be weight training, High Intensity Interval Training and Metabolic Resistance Training. Basically at this point you are denying your body what it needs to burn fat well.
  • laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    Options
    I would replace 3 days of cardio with resistance training. Muscle burns fast. You sound like you are committed to a healthy life style so add the weights and the fat will burn itself off. Keep eating clean is you are. Still can't see your diary.
  • jerzite
    Options
    If you take a look at my food diary, i eat fairly healthy, not much junk!
  • jerzite
    Options
    That sounds like the kinda answer i wanna hear!! .... I always said that once i was a decent weight, i wanted to work out, and with life in general i just havent yet, but i do have the opportunity, so im gonna go for it!
    I think im intimidated, well i guess i dont think.. I AM.... I worry about the pain of being sore FOREVER!... If i do walking lunges from one end of the house to the other, my glutes will be so sore for days, i mean massive pain just going from the sitting position to standing! Its impossible to continue the next day or even a couple days later,.i also worry about the long term, i dont know if i can keep it up FOREVER!!
    I dont really know where to start.. I always over do it, then im out for 3-4 days! Then i lose my desire!
  • jerzite
    Options
    My diary is now public!
  • lily1972
    lily1972 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean about being sore... unfortunately, as we get older, our bodies recover slower so you *must* take it easy until you improve your strength and flexibility! You mentioned lunges...1) it's not necessary to push them to full extension at first to get a good workout 2) If you skip more than a week, you regress! You must continue or you will become discouraged :ohwell: A great option for you would be water aerobics!! Less joint impact and a terrific overall workout!

Good luck and keep up the good work!:flowerforyou: