Looking for Vegatarian recipes that are low calorie!

Options
Hey everyone!
Im a vegetarian and have always had trouble finding diet foods that I can eat! I try not to eat to many carbs but I do eat fish. Im looking especially for funky vegetable recipes and and cool fish\seafood recipes nothing typical I love lots of flavour and haveeeee to be low calorie! Thanx hope I get good feedback.
Karli

Replies

• karlimoffat
    Options
    Hey everyone!
    Im a vegetarian and have always had trouble finding diet foods that I can eat! I try not to eat to many carbs but I do eat fish. Im looking especially for funky vegetable recipes and and cool fish\seafood recipes nothing typical I love lots of flavour and haveeeee to be low calorie! Thanx hope I get good feedback.
    Karli
  • memeburke
    Options
    Hi Karli,
    My husband and I like [ what we call vegetarian ] greenbeans sauted with [ butter flavor cooking spray ] with sliced portabella mushrooms and onions. Also very good with teriyaki sauce and pinnapple chunks. I also spice the greenbeans with garlic granuals, salt and pepper, and a little fresh ginger. Great with rice. You can only use your imagination with the veggies

Another is sauted cabbage, onions with butter flavor cooking spray, then sprinkle some caraway seeds. Sounds strange,but we like it, and being we're not vegetarians, we add meat--- such as turkey kielbosa, or our favorite is knockworst. Hope this might help.
    Shirley AKA memeburke
  • memeburke
    Options
    Hi Karli,
    My husband and I like [ what we call vegetarian ] greenbeans sauted with [ butter flavor cooking spray ] with sliced portabella mushrooms and onions. Also very good with teriyaki sauce and pinnapple chunks. I also spice the greenbeans with garlic granuals, salt and pepper, and a little fresh ginger. Great with rice. You can only use your imagination with the veggies

Another is sauted cabbage, onions with butter flavor cooking spray, then sprinkle some caraway seeds. Sounds strange,but we like it, and being we're not vegetarians, we add meat--- such as turkey kielbosa, or our favorite is knockworst. Hope this might help.
    Shirley AKA memeburke
  • kristie874
    kristie874 Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    Hi there! Here's one that I recently posted. It calls for chicken stock, but veggie stock would be just as good. Has great flavor, especially if you use the chipotle chili powder! If you don't have that or can't find it, try a smoked paprika and cayenne. Hope you find it useful!

Mon 12/10/07 08:39 PMI saw this on a website and thought I'd try it tonight. So good! I changed a couple things, though. Instead of sauteing in oil, I just used some chicken stock (it's a great saute substitute!), and I also added some Chipotle Chili Powder that I just got. Added a great smokey flavor! Counts are below. Makes 4 good sized servings. Hope someone else tries and likes it!

2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
    1 medium onion, coarsley chopped
    1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
    4 cups chicken broth (I used low sodium chicken broth but couldn't find it when I calculated the information so the sodium count is for using a full sodium one)
    One 28 ounce can diced or whole tomatoes
    1 tsp ground cumin
    Juice of 1/2 lime
    5 6-inch corn tortillas, torn into small pieces

In a large pot, add onion, garlic, red pepper flakes, and a few tablespoons chicken stock. Saute over medium heat until the onion is translucent. Add the remaining chicken broth, tomatoes with juice, cumin, and lime juice. Bring to a boil and let simmer 10 minutes. Add tortillas and simmer another 5 minutes, until tortillas begin to fall apart easily. Puree soup either in a blender or food processor in batches or using an immersion blender (fantastic kitchen tool!). That's it!

Amount in 1/4 of the pot:

Calories: 144.5
    Fat: 1.8g
    Cholesterol: 0
    Sodium: 804.7 (use reduced sodium or homemade salt free stock to help here)
    Potassium: 498 mg
    Carbs: 30 g
    Fiber: 2.5
    Sugar: 5.8
    Protein: 4.1
    Vitamin A: 5.1
    Vitamin C: 42.9
    Calcium: 8
    Iron: 12.8
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1177-mexican-pasta-salad

Here's one of my favorites I posted a while ago. I've adapted it to use only 3/4 cup uncooked pasta, and it's still just as good. If you leave out the cheese, it's also vegan, and a complete protein.

I think I'll be eating it tomorrow.:wink: