1/2 marathon in 2 weeks -- Questions for the vets

Options
wewon
wewon Posts: 838 Member
Time is ticking away for me to run my 1st 1/2 marathon (I may run one again in October) and I'm getting a little nervous.

I've completed the Hal Higdon novice training plan for 12 weeks (maybe a little early) but I am using this time to prepare myself mentally and tapering myself to shorter runs. My goal is to complete the race, I am not so concerned with a timing goal although I would like to maintain a 12 minute mile pace. It will be the Cleveland rite-aid Marathon on May 15th.

Questions, maybe silly to some, but I am clueless:

What, if anything, should I eat the morning of the race considering the race starts at 7AM?

Are there typically toilets, restrooms on the race path?

If not, what do you do if nature calls?

My 12 weeks of training has taken place in mostly cool weather (Late Jan - April) so I have only trained in sweats, should I race in sweats?

I have always run later in the day or evening, never at 7AM, should I do a few short runs at 7AM just to get used to it?

Replies

• dandydalek
    dandydalek Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Bump! Sorry, can't help you--the farthest I've ever raced was a 5K. But I'd love to run a 1/2 marathon, so I'm interested to see what people say. Good questions!
  • Tkhk0514
    Tkhk0514 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to say Good Luck! I am very envious of you folks that can run! I am just now getting into it and signed up for my first 5k. I am the say way...I dont want to win, I just want to finish.
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,344 Member
    Options
    There are usually restrooms at points on the run but use one when you find it, you'll probably only have to do it once. Eat something light but substantial, power bar with a banana and maybe some PB, something that won't sit in your stomach but will give you maximum energy. Definitely eat something!! Eat about an hour before the race starts. Run in clothing that is appropriate for the weather you are running in. So if it's hots you definitely don't want to be running in sweats. You can do layers but be prepared to drop it and leave it behind if you need to. and lastly it can't hurt to do a couple of am runs but it isn't totally necessary. I used hal higdon as well and it was really good. Have fun!! and take your time, if this is your first don't burn out too early, maintain your heartrate for endurance and don't be afraid to walk when you need to but as soon as your ready start jogging again. Honestly there is so much energy circulating around you it makes you pumped.
  • getsveltEagain
    getsveltEagain Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    I would do your shorter runs in the morning to get use to that
    I would recommend a lite breakfast the morning of but use your last couple of runs to try out begals and thinks like that
    I would recommend running in what you are use to, but to be in layers incase you get warm.
    There are normally porter potties along the way... but not EVERYWHERE.

I have walked two half marathons with Team In Training and that is what I have learned so far from them. I plan on running a quarter for the Capital City Half Marathon on May 7th and running a half for the Columbus Marathon on Oct 16th.

Finishing is the main goal and time is a bonus! Very proud of your accomplishment!!!!!!!! :drinker:
  • jodiking
    jodiking Posts: 30
    Options
    Hey!

I actually just ran my first 1/2 marathon about a month ago! So although I do not feel that I am a veteran, I may be able to answer a few questions = )

First off, most races offer breakfast before the race. At mine there were things like bagels and fruit. I would definitely eat that morning!! Something with carbs!

I don't know about all races, but there was 1 restroom along the path (or at least that is the only one I saw)

You should race in whatever you are most comfortable in! If you feel that you will not get too hot in sweats go for it, if you think that you will try something else

I don't really know that the time of day would make a difference, but it couldn't hurt to do a few short runs in the AM if possible.

Congrats on the race!!! They are very invigorating!!! Best of luck!!
  • amyb74
    amyb74 Posts: 10
    Options
    I am doing the 1/2 in Cleveland too!!! I did the full last year. There are porto potties along the course and plenty of water stops. I think what you should eat depends on what you are used to. I always eat before hand but I know people who don't. I would try running earlier a few times just to see how you feel. Congratulations and Good Luck!! If you have any other questions I would be glad to try and help.

Amy
  • FitJoani
    FitJoani Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    For a second there I thought you would be doing the Pittsburgh Marathon, held the same day, and in that case I would have pep talked you at the start line:smile: Bute here goes...
    -eat two hours before something gentle like oatmeal.
    -drink about two glasses of water with said oatmeal(it will leave you in plenty of time)
    -get to the start line EARLY road closures can be hell
    -pack your gear the night before-including race number on shirt, chip on shoes, body glide in bag and anything else you may need
    -go potty before no matter what even if you dont think you have to before(there will be stops on the course)
    -warm up your muscles before you start
    -find your corrall early
    -double knot your shoes-childish but it is necessary
    -dress as it were 30 degrees warmer but keep your normal training clothes-bring warm ups if needed
    -DO NOT DO ANYTHING DIFFERENT/NEW!!!!

I hope this helps:drinker: Good Luck, be safe, and most of all HAVE FUN
  • wewon
    Options
    Thanks a lot for the tips!!

More are still welcomed!
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Time is ticking away for me to run my 1st 1/2 marathon (I may run one again in October) and I'm getting a little nervous.

I've completed the Hal Higdon novice training plan for 12 weeks (maybe a little early) but I am using this time to prepare myself mentally and tapering myself to shorter runs. My goal is to complete the race, I am not so concerned with a timing goal although I would like to maintain a 12 minute mile pace. It will be the Cleveland rite-aid Marathon on May 15th.

Questions, maybe silly to some, but I am clueless:

What, if anything, should I eat the morning of the race considering the race starts at 7AM?

Are there typically toilets, restrooms on the race path?

If not, what do you do if nature calls?

My 12 weeks of training has taken place in mostly cool weather (Late Jan - April) so I have only trained in sweats, should I race in sweats?

I have always run later in the day or evening, never at 7AM, should I do a few short runs at 7AM just to get used to it?

Killing 2 birds with one stone, I would get up early and do a few runs, and also figure out what you can eat before running that early. Ideally it's good to use your longer training runs to work this out (for your next race)

There will probably be porta-potties, but if you hit one right before the start, you will probably be fine the rest of the race.

Race in whatever the temperature calls for. Don't over dress.

Good luck
  • emmaleigh47
    emmaleigh47 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    I would get up early and do a few runs... I find that I run differently in the morning then I do in the afternoon.
    What have you been eating before you long runs - whatever what was I would just keep doing that. For me its an Uncrustable and nothing else - I have found that bananas make me sick ...

There are portopottys at the start of the race, but the lines are usually very long so plan ahead (you may want to pack some toilet paper as well). There are usually portopottys along the race course (and most race courses actualyl have them marked on the map).

Best of all .... just relax. Have fun ... plan on finishing... and do not plan on a time. You will be happy to finish! Good luck! I will be thinking of you (while I am running my half on that day too)!
  • Border33
    Border33 Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi there, and good luck on your first 'half'! It's my favorite distance to run.

1. I would try to stick as close as possible to your usual morning food routine. I find that this keeps my digestion habits to what I'm used to, even if it means waking up early to do so.

2. There will be PLENTY of toilets along the route, and tons at the start line. Usually the start line port-o-lets have line-ups, so be prepared if you want to get one last 'go' in before you join the crowd. Give yourself plenty of time to get yourself in order at the startline.

3. I don't recommend sweats. They get very bulky while running and tend to hold water, which causes other problems with loose clothing (chafing or even chills, for example). A great idea is to have a top layer with clothing you can toss after you have run a mile or two and are warmed up. An old hoodie is great. It looks like you have a wide range of temps (50 - 70), and it will be much cooler when you start than when you are mid-race. Probably a pair of running tights and a long sleeve running top under a 'tossable' sweat would do.

4. I don't really think that the morning timing should affect you too much. Technicalities like that are more concerning for those peeps nearer the front, not us mid-packers. The things to think about here are morning routine, temperature change between 7 and 10, and finding your way to the start (parking, walking, getting your number on).

So! Here's to hoping you have a great finish, and confidence that you will cross the line. Hopes for wind at your back!

LM
  • wewon
    Options
    Thanks!