Celiac

Options
Hello I am totally new to this awesome website. THANK YOU for it .. i love this place. I am wondering if there is anyone who has Celiac disease? I am looking for a way to save money with this and feed a family of four. it is so expensive. I want to eat right, lose weight and be healthy for myself and my family.. Thanks .. Akatz74!!!:smile:

Replies

• akaMrsmojo
    akaMrsmojo Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    I do, and I find in some weighs loss weight is challenging.

Add me, I am always looking for fellow Celiacs for support and to support them.
  • brneydgrlie
    brneydgrlie Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    It is not as expensive as you might think, especially with summer coming. Start visiting your local farmer's market for fresh fruits and vegetables.

Go on some fishing trips and catch your own seafood. :wink:

Nut butters without added sugar can be very healthy in small amounts, and both rice and sweet potatoes can be found cheaply and be made in healthy ways.

You also may want to check into quinoa as a rice or pasta substitute - very nutritious! High in iron and B vitamins.

Use low sodium chicken or vegetable broth in place of butters or some oils when cooking, or applesauce when baking. Both of these can reduce the fat in your recipes.

We are not celiac, but my son is allergic to gluten (wheat, rye, barley), casein (dairy), soy and corn.
  • smtraxx
    smtraxx Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    My son has Celiacs but is till very young. I found this in the receipe section for you. So I am thinking most of those people would be in the same boat as you.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/218560-gluten-free-pizza-crust-amazing
  • StevLL
    StevLL Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    So the doctor she says, “No More Gluten”,
    What’s that mean, sounds high-falutin’.
    I ask to explain and she says with a frown,
    No more wheat or pasta and put the bread down.
    So it’s off to the store, I’m feeling low,
    No pasta, no bread, what a dirty blow.
    I hem and I haw and I finally give in,
    Tis been two whole days, I’m about done in.
    Time passes on and I learn to endure,
    I’m reading labels, no gluten for sure.
    It’s been four months and I must confess,
    No bread, no pasta, it’s no big stress.
    Finding alternatives, some good some bad,
    I’m happy and healthy, Gluten free and not sad!

my wife (hootsmamma) and I are gluten free and it was challenging but now it's become fun to look and find new stuff. My wife has MS and I'm gluten sensitive. Add us and we can support , cheer and hopefully all learn from each other. Good luck and take care.
  • Christiane81
    Options
    I do not have a gluten issue but I have a friend who follows the paleo lifestyle which is great for people with celiac. Her website it http://primitivefamily.wordpress.com/ The recipes are fabulous and easy, good luck!