2»

Replies

• ruffledviolet
    Options
    cinnamon and raisins
    cinnamon and apple sauce
    ginger and craisins
    or peanut butter - my fav

please do not add sugar to instant oatmeal that already has too much sugar in it.
    adding milk (I use almond or soy) helps a bit.
    I add half water/half milk to plain oatmeal with any of the above options.
    some suggest microwaving with just water and then adding the milk afterward. that works too.
  • kimmerroze
    kimmerroze Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    Have you ever tried Cream of wheat... oatmeal isn't my favorite unless its loaded with sugar... soo I do cream of wheat its 120 calories prepared with water... and then I add a table spoon of honey and its great... you can also add cinnamon and sugar to it... or a few dark chocolate chips to make it chocolatey... its much lower in calorie.. and its really good for you.
  • kimmerroze
    kimmerroze Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    Quaker has taken 25% of the sugar out of their instant oatmeals. I like them better now, but I'm with the above - I use the Quaker Old Fashion Oats. This morning I added to it a banana and a tablespoon of peanut butter to come out right at 350 calories (I do the minute and half in the microwave). Normally I just add in frozen mixed berries and a little cinnamon.

If it's the texture you don't like, try this:

1/2 cup Quaker Old Fashion Oats
    2 egg whites (or one whole egg)
    pinch of salt
    teaspoon of baking soda
    dash of vanilla
    cinnamon to taste

Mix it all up in a bowl. Heat a skillet in the mean time. Make just as you a pancake on the stove. Make sure to cook all the way through - it will take about 3-5 minutes.

While cooking on the skillet, I heat up frozen berries, cherries, banana - whatever - in the microwave. Really cook it down so it becomes syrup-y like. Use like a syrup on your "pancake" Don't expect soft and fluffy like a real pancake, but definitely a different texture than traditional oatmeal.

For a treat to the above, I had mini chocolate chips to the batter and use cherries for the syrup........

This sounds so good! definately trying this some time soon
  • 1aprilaries
    1aprilaries Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    thanks so much everyone for all the ideas. :happy: I tried the instant oatmeal b/c i was looking for something quick. The pancake recipe does sound good- I'll have to try that on the weekends when i have more time in the morning. I'm gonna give my multi flavor box away at work & go buy a can of Quaker Oats or Creame of Wheat- that way I can add flavor to my liking. I know adding the sugar was a bad idea but I had to do something- couldn't go w/out any breakfast.
  • 1aprilaries
    1aprilaries Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    definitely don't add sugar. You're right about that. Honey is find but don't go nuts with it. Fruit is also great. I use old fashioned style quick oats, which are plain, then add my chocolate protein powder. It tastes pretty good and is a great way to start me day.
    Thanks- I'm on the lookout for a protein powder now

I know you'll get a million different answers but my best suggestion for finding the right stuff is don't forget about taste and mix ability. Some of them taste horrible and/or don't mix well. You might spend a tad more to get started but you'll know what you like if you try a smaller pack at first, then you aren't stuck with a huge tub of crap.
    Thanks- spending a bunch of money on oatmeal & protein powder was never the plan.