Breakfast Ideas

Options
I am in need of breakfast ideas. I am a school nurse so I usually eat my breakfast once I get to school because I have to be there so early. I need some ideas of what I can take with me to eat once I get there or in the car on the way. My hubby has been making me breakfast sandwiches which were easy but I am thinking they are not as healthy as I thought they were. So, please help me out with this. :drinker:

Replies

• michis05
    michis05 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    eggos. the whole grain ones, honestly i dont know if they are really as healthy as i think, but its a quick thing to do :)
  • Ibejjo
    Ibejjo Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I would suggest making a protein shake that you could drink on your way to work or finding a ready to drink shake like Slim Fast, Special K or Atkins Protein shakes. If you dont like those, you could find a protein bar like Atkins, Slim Fast or Special K any of those others that are out there. You can find some for reasonable prices at Walmart/ Sam's Club, Target or Costco and have it with a banana or apple on your way to work. Those are some of the things that I like to have becuase they are healthy and easy to eat on my way to work or at my desk.
    Jenn
  • mamabear0222
    mamabear0222 Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    Fruit and yogurt would be a good option for on the go ..
    What do you have once you get to school to heat things up etc?
    Could you boil a kettle once there and have oatmeal some mornings?
    I take dry cereal and my milk in a container and have cereal ...(love my multigrain cheerios!)
    Or I make an egg on a muffin and wrap it in tinfoil (it stays warm for quite a while) ...
    I also add veggies into it and it's a great morning breakfast!

Hope some of that helped!
  • llm12
    llm12 Posts: 49
    Options
    I make a crustless quiche with lots of veggies in it (spinach, onion, bell pepper, brocolli, etc) on Sundays to last me the week. Hungry Girl has some great low calorie quiche recipes, and protein is a great way to start up your metabolism in the morning!
  • kenlad64
    kenlad64 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Ive see (and tried) some good "breakfast cookies" recipes, google it and whip up a batch and then freeze um and pop um out in the morning. You control the ingredients so you know what ya put in um. I may make up a batch this weekend....
  • redrustdobe
    Options
    I have a protein shake in the car each morning. Try a whey protein powder and mix with water and one of these:
    1/2c frozen strawberries + 1/2 banana
    1/2 mixed berries
    2 Tbs crushed pineapple + tsp coconut extract (pina colada)
    2 oz limeade concentrate + tsp vanilla (key lime pie)
    or chocolate protein powder and 1Tbs natual peanut butter
    possibilities are endless...
  • MSDRIZZ
    MSDRIZZ Posts: 246
    Options
    Yogurt and cereal. Get your favorite yogurt and about 1/4 cup of your favorite healthier cereal and dump it on top for a bit of crunch. You have protein, dairy, fiber and carbs in one meal. If you add some fruit or eat an apple or something for a snack later you have covered 5 essentials with a decent amount of calories.
  • nkenga
    nkenga Posts: 46
    Options
    I often eat at my desk at work, so here are some things I do:

- 4 ounces greek yogurt with 1/4 cup granola and 1/2 tbsp honey
    - yogurt smoothie (yogurt, ground flax seeds, fruit [usually berries], a touch of honey or sugar if you want, ice)
    - 1 tbsp peanut butter on one slice of toasted whole wheat bread
    - one hard-boiled egg and an apple or orange or other fruit (I usually boil at least 6 eggs at the beginning of the week and store them in the fridge, I use them for breakfast as well as snacks)

All of these keep me full until lunch time or snack time.
  • xxrainxx
    xxrainxx Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    i usually am the same so the night before i cook turkey rashers and put them in the microwave once i get to work and make some egg white scrambled egg in the microwave too, otherwise id just have special k mini breaks great for on the go, or you could make up smooties for the car :o)
  • poustotah
    poustotah Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    Here's my healthy breakfast sandwhich:

Whole grain muffin toasted - add 1 egg white, reduced fat cheese, 2 slices low-sodium canadian bacon.

I use regular cheese and canadian bacon and the nutritional info is VERY reasonable with the exception of the salt.

Other options are the Jimmy Dean D-Lights, they make breakfast sandwhiches and breakfast bowls. I've tried all of them and they are all pretty good. Even the salt content is reasonable.
  • 512cheangela
    Options
    I have a box of Macrobars, a bag of mandarins, and a variety of apples in my office this week. I usually have a box of 100 calorie pistachio packs and Spiruteen packets if I just want to drink a protein shake. Today I downed a can of beans for breakfast. But I'm just silly.

Another idea is to take a cupcake tin and make mini-quiches with egg whites, vegetables, and your favorite goodies. Turkey bacon goes well in those.
  • Peep_chic
    Peep_chic Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    to many great ideas I add green smoothies (in those reusable to go cups) they can be very filling and you get the servings of veggies that you might not get on a busy day of work. I like to make my own granola bar and my own healty version of mini muffins. When you make it yourself you can control how many calories you want on it.
  • mfkfoster
    mfkfoster Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I use Hungry's Girls recipes. The best I've tried are the breakfast cookies. About 154 colories and lots of fiber! But there are lots of them!
  • coderchris
    coderchris Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Try the whole grain english muffins that are 100 cal with one egg and 2% cheese. Comes in just over 200 calories.
  • livingnow28
    livingnow28 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I like 2 hardboiled eggs-egg whites only with picante sauce, and a cup of oatmeal. I usually bring them to work in a ziploc and add picante sauce that I keep in our breakroom fridge. You can boil the eggs in the morning before work or even the night before. I keep a box of oatmeal in my desk and just cook it in the microwave in our breakroom.
  • abrooke1976
    Options
    Thanks for the many ideas! My current breakfast sandwhich is a whole wheat english muffin with one egg, bacon, and 2% cheese. I have a microwave at work and that is all I have to heat things up. I am almost done with school so I will have more flexibility with what I eat once I am out for the summer.