Is it true

Msaip
Msaip Posts: 482 Member
edited September 26 in Fitness and Exercise
Is it true that you shouldn't do ab workouts if you still have fat there? I have a belly and have been doing a routine of 100 mixed up exercies a night and feel it's making a difference. But if this is true i certainly don't want to do it anymore!

Replies

• EZGruv
    EZGruv Posts: 215 Member
    Why wouldn't you do ab exercises if you have fat in that area?
  • ratkaj
    ratkaj Posts: 166 Member
    That just doesn't make any sense...
  • EZGruv
    EZGruv Posts: 215 Member
    That just doesn't make any sense...

Exactly. I wonder what the 'logic' behind the premise is.
  • bethrs
    bethrs Posts: 664 Member
    I totally disagree with this logic, BUT I've heard this too because if you still have fat and happen to add bulk under it, your belly will appear larger.
  • Angela4Health
    Angela4Health Posts: 1,319 Member
    You can do ab exercises, but it's not going to get rid of the fat. You still need to do cardio with it to lose the fat. Don't do too much ab work until you lose some of the fat though!
  • believeachieve1
    believeachieve1 Posts: 2 Member
    No, i have never heard such a thing. how else are you supposed to get rid of the unwanted "flab"?
    Just make sure that you are tightening your abs at all times while you are exersising. maybe what you are getting confused about is that you dont want to be pushing out your tummy while working your abs because you could be doing more harm by adding more bulk? Hope this helps (:
  • sweetiepie31612
    sweetiepie31612 Posts: 240 Member
    The thought is you're just building ab muscles underneath the fat and you're not necessarily losing the fat. I don't know how much of this is true of if its bad. To lose fat though I know you need to do cardio IDK if that means you should stop doing your ab workouts.
  • B2BB
    B2BB Posts: 222 Member
    I understand what you are saying but don't stop. Whoever told you that probably means to not build the muscle under the fat because it may make the fat bulge. But as long as you are doin cardio and watching your intake u should,want to build the abs so when the fat is gone u have definition and not be all flabby. I read in jillian michaels book that for women with narrow hips to not work the external obliques because building the muscle will make the waist thicker. To let the muscles diminish, makes sense:)
  • hilhall822
    hilhall822 Posts: 116 Member
    The key if you have any ab "flab" is cardio- you can mix up ab exercises into your cardio (I have a biggest loser dvd that is great for that- the Cardio Max one), but ab exercises alone won't help get rid of your tummy flab. I wouldn't NOT do them, but do them after you do cardio.
  • haulinbuns
    haulinbuns Posts: 44 Member
    You can do ab exercises, but it's not going to get rid of the fat. You still need to do cardio with it to lose the fat. Don't do too much ab work until you lose some of the fat though!

This is what I've heard as well
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    I totally disagree with this logic, BUT I've heard this too because if you still have fat and happen to add bulk under it, your belly will appear larger.

Now thats true in my instance. My belly sticks out more that I've been working on my abs. But that comes with the territory.
  • freerange
    freerange Posts: 1,722 Member
    NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • bethrs
    bethrs Posts: 664 Member

Now thats true in my instance. My belly sticks out more that I've been working on my abs. But that comes with the territory.

Right, but you keep up the exercise because in the long run it will even out, and plus, being fit is more important in the long term.

(Great work by the way!)
  • Msaip
    Of course im still doing all my cardio. And my point was that someone told me my stomach would buldge out more if i built muscle underneath. I won't stop doing it if it benefiting me. Just making sure the facts are straight. Cardio and strength training are my main focuses
  • Msaip
    Why wouldn't you do ab exercises if you have fat in that area?

Someone told me it would make my stomach look bigger
  • thumper44
    thumper44 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Some confusion from the quesition. "will ab work get rid of my belly fat?"
    The answer is no, ab exercises alone will not get rid of belly fat .

Cardio and diet will help with the belly fat.

But if you don't develop the muscles, then what will be showing if you finally get rid of the fat.

Keep up with the exercises.
  • ShapeUpSidney
    ShapeUpSidney Posts: 1,092 Member

^^^ this...although its a purely cosmetic and non-health focused way to go about things

I recommend strengthening your core with ab workouts. Prevents injury and improves posture. Keep your eye on the prize!
  • sillygoose1977
    sillygoose1977 Posts: 2,151 Member
    I don't care if it makes my tummy appear larger. I have muscles in my core and that is NEVER a bad thing. Just keep up your cardio at the same time and watch your diet.
  • khk2010
    khk2010 Posts: 451 Member
    I've heard that it makes your tummy look bigger too. But I have been doing lots of ab work and it is sucking it all in. So even though I still have fat it looks a little smaller cause the muscles are tighter. In fact I have lost a half inch on my waist.
This discussion has been closed.