pain in the arch of my foot

Options
I noticed it yesterday but I still worked out and it didnt bother me. But I have it more today and I was planning on still working out. I usually get the pain while doing the arc trainer and eliptical. Im planning on the eliptical today. I dont know if i should still workout and risk making it worst or take the day off. hmmm. Its not like wicked painful or anything but it's there.

Replies

• waverly9876
    waverly9876 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I get that too. U should stretch it out before so it doesnt hurt as bad.
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    try this wait, not that one
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    Google "plantar faciities" and see if that's what you're experiencing. It's painful but can be cured. :flowerforyou:
  • Oompa_Loompa
    Oompa_Loompa Posts: 1,099 Member
    Options
    what are some stretches i can do? Im at work so I cant watch the utube video. They block that stuff
  • ldon37
    ldon37 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Could be plantar fascitiis. I suggest you start stretching your calf muscles several times a day, and always wear shoes with arch support - no going barefoot until it heals. I had this last year and it took 6 months to heal, but everyone is different. It is usually caused by tight calf muscles. Don't ignore it or it will get worse. Good luck!
  • lloydmurphy
    Options
    If you have flat feet, it might be the result of inadequate arch support. If so, try the Spenco brand arch supports in your size.
  • NeshBeMe
    NeshBeMe Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    that's a great question because I get pain in my arches as well. I've tried changing into different shoes, as well as buying arch supports. Some days are ok, but others are horrible. I just continue to workout and try to ignore the pain but I think it has something to do with your stance. We are suppose to put most weight on the balls or back of the foot but some people find this difficult and don't always notice when they aren't applying the pressure to this spots.
  • TropicalKitty
    TropicalKitty Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    This reminds me of watching one of those weird shows on Discovery Health that had a girl in it that had some weird bug growing in her foot.

And the time that I stepped on the stupid anti-theft device when trying on jeans a couple weeks ago...I still have a little bit of a bruise from that. Man it hurt.

On serious note, check your shoes. Make sure you have the right support. You can also go to runners' shoe stores (like FleetFeet) to get your shoes/stride checked out.

I'd take it easy on those machines until your foot(feet?) feel better. If they don't get better see your doc or a podiatrist.
  • AngelicaDulas
    Options
    My physical therapist suggested to do calf stretches. Find a stair or a curb or a block of wood and stand with just the front half of your foot on it. Lower your heel towards the ground until you feel the tight stretch, counting to 3, then slowly raise all the way up till you're on your tip toes, count to three, then all the way back down. if you do this first thing in the morning for about 5 minutes, then throughout the day as it starts to hurt, it should help relieve it some. After a week of doing it the foot pain should disappear.
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    i can't find the name of it so i can't give you a picture but what you do is this

prepare to sit on your legs.

lay the top of your foot into the arch of your other foot by crossing your feet

sit on your heels

switch feet.
  • Chicka_Boom
    Options
    I noticed it yesterday but I still worked out and it didnt bother me. But I have it more today and I was planning on still working out. I usually get the pain while doing the arc trainer and eliptical. Im planning on the eliptical today. I dont know if i should still workout and risk making it worst or take the day off. hmmm. Its not like wicked painful or anything but it's there.

There are a lot of things that it could be, but I would advise you to slow down and try to avoid putting strain on that foot until you figure out what's going on. It could be that your shoes aren't providing you with proper support, it could be plantar fasciitis, it could be soreness/strain, or it could be the start of an injury. I used to run a lot, and my foot started to bother me but I just ignored it and kept on running every day. Then, a couple of days later, I was going for a run and I suddenly felt this excruciating pain in my foot. An x-ray confirmed that I had a stress fracture. I had to wear a brace for 6 weeks, and I couldn't run for a long time - I could've avoided that downtime if I had paid more attention to what my body was telling me. Good luck!
  • hypergrl
    hypergrl Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    This is very common, because we often don't stretch or workout our calves and shin muscles that much. I get this too and too such an extreme point that I can barely walk. Start stretching and doing calf/shin exercises and it will help to eliminate this.
  • BobertC
    BobertC Posts: 123
    Options
    Google "plantar faciities" and see if that's what you're experiencing. It's painful but can be cured. :flowerforyou:

I had that bad in both feet and a broken arch healing. My Foot guy had me get super feet arch support and I have used it ever since. completely fixed the problem, guess there was just too much stress on my arches.:happy:
  • Sarahdangerfox
    Options
    Sounds like you need better arch support and more stable shoes. Go to footsmart.com and get yourself some rigid high-arch insoles...they take some getting used to but usually get rid of the issue. Also make sure your feet don't move around in your shoes too much, and make sure you stretch your feet plenty. Try point and flex while sitting on the floor, and stretch your toes back towards your legs by angling your foot up against a wall.