OMIGOSH!!!! Not my favorite thing in the world anymore!

Options
2»

Replies

• believetoachieve
    believetoachieve Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Isn't it unethical to bring your own snacks? I used to do it, but feel bad about it.

How is it unethical?? What's unethical is charging me $14 to watch the movie, and then another $6-$8 for a popcorn, and $4 for a drink. Now THAT is unethical, when these companies are making billions. :frown: If they had healthier options at a decent pice (air popped popcorn, etc) I would happily purchase. But they're not giving me that option.
  • brityn
    brityn Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    My little brother always brings things into the theatre. He will actually carry in a venti starbucks cup of whatever and just walk right past the employees and into the theater. They say "hey you can't take that in there" and he just keeps walking. Ive witnessed it three times and i'm sure he's done it numerous others. Really, do you think they're going to drag you out?
  • susanswan
    susanswan Posts: 1,194 Member
    Options
    Yes, isn't that incredible? Good for you to look it up! I remember hearing years and years ago that the "average" popcorn at the movies drenched with "butter" was something like 1600 or 1800 calores and that was the last time I ever had it! My husband doesn't care for popcorn so it would be all mine and aside from the outrageous price, and now the list of probably trans fats in the "butter" I couldn't live with that calorie hit! I don't even make it at home for myself, because I know I'd have to eat the whole thing and really love the butter and salt, so I'm better off just not going there. I don't need to cultivate any more bad habits for myself! Ha! Ha! = D
  • Improvised
    Improvised Posts: 925 Member
    Options
    Isn't it unethical to bring your own snacks? I used to do it, but feel bad about it.

How is it unethical?? What's unethical is charging me $14 to watch the movie, and then another $6-$8 for a popcorn, and $4 for a drink. Now THAT is unethical, when these companies are making billions. :frown: If they had healthier options at a decent pice (air popped popcorn, etc) I would happily purchase. But they're not giving me that option.

I'm not saying theater prices are ethical, but two wrongs don't make a right. I mean, if the theater doesn't have a policy about it, then I wouldn't worry about it, but if they have a sign that says no outside food or drinks, then that's another matter.
    As it is, I rarely go out to watch movies, so it's not really an issue for me.
  • JulieF11
    JulieF11 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    So I have this favorite popcorn store out by us, called Palsies Popcorn. I used to eat a small bag of that from time to time. Since joining MFP I decided to ask them about the calories in a small bag. The girl at the counter said she didn't know and she'd ask the lady in the back. I could easily hear both of them. When the girl asked the lady, I heard the lady in the back laugh at the fact someone would go there if they wanted to count calories. She came around the corner... I told her whatever the calories were was okay, I just wanted to know so that I could account for them... whether I got a handful or the whole bag, I wanted some of it.
    She said she had no idea, but probably something similar to "Buttered Movie Theater Popcorn". Who would have guessed my cheese popcorn would be that high in calories?!? Anyway, I looked up movie theater popcorn (buttered), logged it in my diary, and have worked in half a small bag several times since then. I LOVE it, and I'm still losing weight. I know it's high in calories and fat, and terrible to the sodium, but it's soooo good... and it's not hard to eat egg whites with salsa for breakfast, an entire roasted eggplant for lunch with a multigrain cracker or two, a yummy salad with low fat dressing, chicken and strawberries, AND have the yummy popcorn. I think it's worth it.
  • writtenINthestars
    writtenINthestars Posts: 1,933 Member
    Options
    Um yeah I just pop my own popcorn and bring that or other snacks to the movies...I'm going to movie hell.
  • writtenINthestars
    writtenINthestars Posts: 1,933 Member
    Options
    LOL you aren't breaking an actual law by taking in snacks (so they can't arrest you) but you are breaking rules of the establishment so the worse they can do is kick you out! ;p