Curves

Options
Has anyone ever tried Curves? I went to an open house yesterday and am considering joining since I get a discount through my union. :happy:

Replies

• LindaLou1397
    LindaLou1397 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Has anyone ever tried Curves? I went to an open house yesterday and am considering joining since I get a discount through my union. :happy:
  • tanzmamma
    tanzmamma Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I went to Curves the first 7 months of my weight loss journey. It was a GREAT way to get me started in fitness. But once you get more fit it DOES get boring (at least for me it did). It just wasnt enough anymore my weight loss and inches lost started slowing down so I stopped going to curves and have been doing my own work outs and have picked the pace back up with my losses.

My contract is up in October and I wont be renewing.
  • LindaLou1397
    Options
    Thanks so much, I think I will save myself some money and stick to my treadmill and Leslie Sansone walking tapes.
  • Mishy
    Mishy Posts: 1,551 Member
    Options
    Hello!

I belonged to Curves before, it was fun and I saw and felt results. Also, at the end of the workout I felt energetic and not beat up. My sister-in-law loves Curves, she's been a member for 4+ years.

Unfortunately the ones nearest to me have strange hours that don't fit in with my schedule anymore, and while I could go at night I like working out with my husband (but that's just me!)
  • charli246
    Options
    I was surprised when I checked out my local YWCA. The overall gym is accessible to both genders, but they have a separate area for women only. And in this area they have a circuit with "Curve-like" machines. They're not as sleek as the ones at Curves ... they may even just be older machines donated from Curves, but the idea is the same. So for a much lower membership ($25/month ... and no sign-up fee) I have access to the circuit AND a gym. It might be worth looking into.
  • tanzmamma
    tanzmamma Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Everybody is different, there were some members at my local curves that had been going there for YEARS and loved it.

I think it all depends on what you're looking for.... if you're looking for a 30 min 3x a week way to keep you active it's great!

If you're doing it to get really into fitness and exercise.. I would recommend finding something else to join.
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    Personally I hated it. The routine got very boring after a couple months (and there is no way to change it). The hours are crappy, only open until 7 or 8 in some locations and most of the women at my location weren't very serious about working out. A lot of them would sing along with the music and/or want to chat or talk on their phones while working out. I suppose it is good for older women who don't want real strenuous exercise or who also want a social setting, but for a more serious gym-goer (not hardcore, just in search of a decent work out in a more serious setting) it wasn't for me.

I also think it is too expensive for what you get. I think I paid around 35 (I heard it was going up too) and all you get is the machines in the routine you must stick to, no locker room just changing rooms like at a store, no fitness classes and the nutritional classes are more money on top of the monthly. I don't trust that the people working there are actually trained or educated in fitness or health and even if you pay for the membership that allows you to go to any location, you still have to get hand written passes that expire after a month.

It's not a national chain, but I am sure there are other comparable gyms, but when I got a membership to a gym near me after the curves one I was amazed at how much more I got for less money. A $28 or $32 a month (the higher price included all the fitness classes) got you all the machines you want plus free weights, open gym, open walking track, climbing wall, open swim time, a hot tub, an awesome locker room with showers, bathrooms, changing area, an area to do make-up/do your hair, plus personal trainers were available and the hours were great (6am to 10pm). Oh and people that were there to work out and didn't want to chat while working out, haha. For me there was just no comparison.
  • LindaLou1397
    Options
    Thanks everyone. You made me think there is a gym about the same distance as curves that I am going to check into. I can do my walking at home, but need something for toning. I am really out of shape and not sure where to start so thought I would try a gym or something that isn't really expensive.