Any Starbucks Barista's out there?

Options
I have a question for you guys...

I have recently noticed that even though I order a nonfat whatever a couple of times I have witnessed "milk" from either the soy container or the milk container (instead of the nonfat milk...) being used in my drink. I was curious if it is common for you guys to use any container to steam the milk or is the person making my drink just pouring whatever in my drink : ( which for the purpose of calorie counting can cause some problems

I know this sounds silly lol but I would appriciate the feedback

Replies

• smeyerdirk
    Options
    If you are going when it's busy there is a good chance that they ran out of clean non-fat labeled containers. I would just ask them next time to make sure!
  • sarahhayn
    Options
    I used to be a shift manager for Starbucks, and we were pretty strict about using the non-fat milk containers for the non-fat milk, etc... that way if someone else gets on the bar they don't have to guess which milk is where. Starbucks is corporate and should practice the same thing in every single store in America, so if they're pouring from a container labeled anything but "non-fat", chances are it's not non-fat. Although, I haven't worked there in a couple years, but I don't know why that would change! Hope this helps!
  • Spayrroe
    Spayrroe Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I'm not a starbucks barista, but I was a barista at the Border's Cafe (when they still had their own cafes). Firstly, I'm a starbucks addict, and I order non fat iced lattes, and have some times noticed that they taste 'thicker'.

When I worked at Borders, I made drinks exactly as they were ordered because I felt that was part of my job, however not all of my coworkers agreed. I, in fact, got in a snarling match with one of my coworkers because I was working register one night when my then boyfriend (now husband) came in. He gets migraines from artificial sweeteners, and I watched her go to put vanilla in his drink, realize the regular vanilla was empty and then decide to just sub sugar free instead of going to get a new regular. I was furious. They did things like this all the time. 2% milk, for some reason I never figured out, is the easiest milk to make good foam with, so most of the time when a cappacino was ordered, no matter how it was ordered milk wise, they would use 2%. It kinda depends on the person making the drink and how seriously they take pride in doing a quality job. I know it sucks. I've even gone back in to have them make me a new latte because I could taste the thickness of the whole milk used.
  • pilotgirl2007
    pilotgirl2007 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Thanks I wasn't really in the mood to make a big deal about it the first time it happened and they were busy when it happened but she had also just finished remaking a soy drink that she had messed up on. The second time I thought hmmm I think I am going to see if this is something that happens. I hate being a hassle especially since I know how much customer service can suck sometimes. I will ask next time.
  • Flocker1979
    Options
    I'm not a starbucks barista, but I was a barista at the Border's Cafe (when they still had their own cafes). Firstly, I'm a starbucks addict, and I order non fat iced lattes, and have some times noticed that they taste 'thicker'.

When I worked at Borders, I made drinks exactly as they were ordered because I felt that was part of my job, however not all of my coworkers agreed. I, in fact, got in a snarling match with one of my coworkers because I was working register one night when my then boyfriend (now husband) came in. He gets migraines from artificial sweeteners, and I watched her go to put vanilla in his drink, realize the regular vanilla was empty and then decide to just sub sugar free instead of going to get a new regular. I was furious. They did things like this all the time. 2% milk, for some reason I never figured out, is the easiest milk to make good foam with, so most of the time when a cappacino was ordered, no matter how it was ordered milk wise, they would use 2%. It kinda depends on the person making the drink and how seriously they take pride in doing a quality job. I know it sucks. I've even gone back in to have them make me a new latte because I could taste the thickness of the whole milk used.

I would have been more than pissed and sick, too, since I'm allergic to aspartame!
  • pilotgirl2007
    pilotgirl2007 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    @Spayrroe I used to work in a restaurant and people would ask for specific things and I know that some of my coworkers would just really care but I was always concerned with the idea that if they asked for it one way it is possible that there is a medical reason for that i.e. I could have been allergic to soy milk
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    You're paying good money -- don't hesitate to speak up! No need to be rude, of course -- but you're well within your rights to ask. After getting caught once, they will know not to try it again... hopefully.
  • Dnsnyder
    Dnsnyder Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I also used to be a shift manager at Starbucks and I agree with what sarahhayn said. On very rare occasions milk may be steamed in the wrong container...but it definitely should not be common practice. I know when I worked there I always made the drinks exactly as they were ordered. However, I would not be surprised if your barista used milk that was not non-fat...as I have seen it done before. It is not up to corporate standard...but unfortunately it does occur and it is usually because the barista working does not appreciate or enjoy their job and does not have the passion or concern to make drinks as they are supposed to be made. In other words, it's just laziness.
  • lsunshineraej
    Options
    Another question for the baristas.. I just went to sbux & ordered a skinny caramel macchiato. The guy making it was pouring in the caramel syrup, the thick real caramel, not the liquidy stuff from a bottle. I'm really strict about my calories. My question is - is the skinny supposed to come with the thick caramel? Thanks in advance for your reply.
  • annarface
    annarface Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Oh goddd I'm terrified to order at Starbucks now incase they give me full fat milk or something LOL.
  • youngtweezy
    youngtweezy Posts: 183
    Options
    I would definitely tell them to stop right there! I work at Starbucks, and considering that I am calorie-conscious, it would drive me crazy to see a fellow barista doing that.
  • youngtweezy
    youngtweezy Posts: 183
    Options
    Another question for the baristas.. I just went to sbux & ordered a skinny caramel macchiato. The guy making it was pouring in the caramel syrup, the thick real caramel, not the liquidy stuff from a bottle. I'm really strict about my calories. My question is - is the skinny supposed to come with the thick caramel? Thanks in advance for your reply.

Yes, the calorie count includes the crosshatch caramel design.

I used to be a shift manager for Starbucks, and we were pretty strict about using the non-fat milk containers for the non-fat milk, etc... that way if someone else gets on the bar they don't have to guess which milk is where. Starbucks is corporate and should practice the same thing in every single store in America, so if they're pouring from a container labeled anything but "non-fat", chances are it's not non-fat. Although, I haven't worked there in a couple years, but I don't know why that would change! Hope this helps!

Yeah the Starbucks I work at is pretty strict and organized. We wouldn't allow that.
  • Dnsnyder
    Dnsnyder Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Yes, the skinny caramel macchiato is supposed to come with the thick caramel syrup. Drink recipe = sugar free vanilla syrup in bottom of cup, pour desired type of steamed milk into cup, drizzle foamy milk with caramel sauce, pour corresponding number of espresso shots over top.
  • brotherbilos
    Options
    I made an account solely to post information about starbucks, ignore the pitcher use, the company changed its policy earlier this year, where we make ONE drink at a time, therefore using one pitcher. My store now has pitchers labeled MILK rather than the traditional NON-FAT, or WHOLE, 2%. The concern i have is for people who can ONLY drink SOY milk, because you shouldn't be mixing the dairy pitchers. You are okay, don't harass the barista too much :)

Also skinny caramel machiato includes the drizzle! If you don't want it, your essentially ordering a vanilla latte.
  • kateanne27
    kateanne27 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I don't know about starbucks, but I know that at the subway I work at it is common to put reg mayo in the lite mayo bottle if we run out, or low fat italian in the regular bottle etc (also we are not allowed to throw away out of date mayo, just relabel so that we dont get shut down) I am now afraid almost to go to restaraunts lol
  • noveleigh
    noveleigh Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I was wondering the same thing because here lately when I have ordered my usual ice mocha with non-fat milk it either comes out really dark or really light (like a regular latte). Not sure what's going on there.
  • CherrySunday
    CherrySunday Posts: 301
    Options
    When I worked there, we were pretty strict about it, especially using the SOY pitcher for anything else but soy milk. However, if we hit a major rush, it sometimes happened with the switching of pitchers of the full fat vs. non fat. It all depends on the store though, a really good manager wouldn't let anything touch the soy pitcher.