Recording weights with walking

Options
eresin
eresin Posts: 104 Member
hi all

I am training for jog the women's 5k and I thought I could tackle my flabby arms at the same time by using small (0.5kg) weights in each hand if I walk or power-walk.
How should I record this in my exercise. I can see the entry for walking but I'm not sure how to add the extra weights into the exercise. I guess if the extra burn from the weights is so little it might not be worth recording but I though I could tone up my arms while toning the legs

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• gcineas
    gcineas Posts: 121
    Options
    Not to be rude but walking with the weights in your hands does absolutely nothing to tone your arms. If you are walking with the weights for the entire 5k your body becomes acclimated to this extra weight. You might become stronger but you will not become more toned. That is the point of resistance training. I am not an expert but I do not see the point of walking with the weights in your hand. If you want to be more tone eat protein and lift HEAVY weights with proper form.
  • eresin
    eresin Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Ok thank you
  • curleesam
    curleesam Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    Another opinion here...

I started using 2lbs wrist weights on each wrist whilst working out on elliptical a few weeks ago and I promise you I've seen a HUGE difference in my arms! I haven't increased my strength training, the only thing I've changed in the past few weeks that could affect my arms is the fact I'm using the wrist weights. The whole time I've been losing weight my arms have still been chubby till recently.

So my opinion is that by using them you must be working extra muscles in your arms and fat will burn off. You will probably need to do free weights to tone though.

Re logging it, I log my 25mins on elliptical and although I wear the weights the whole time I only log it for half the time as I don't view it as proper strength training as such.