Please share

Options
I really want to start focusing more on my diet. I am down 4lbs and I love seeing the "1" starting the number on the scale instead of a "2"..

I know I could eat a lot healthier than I do but I am limited in my spending right now until I find a job. What are some things that have helped in your journeys? Like what you exchanged (i.e. frozen yogurt for ice cream) stuff like that? And has it helped? Soda is a major comfort food for me. I have been doing a lot better lately as I started buying 2 liter bottles instead of cans. I think they last longer, plus I dont drink as much out of a cup as I do a can or bottle for some reason.

I eat pretty healthy in the mornings. Its lunch and dinner that get me. I know there are tons of ready to eat healthier meals that do have low sodium and fat but I have to buy stuff that my whole family can eat. My hubby has FINALLY started on eating better and exercising too. Im sooo happy for him and its a motivator for me too..

So please do share things you do differently, things you have taken out of your diets, things you have replaced..It will be greatly appreciated :):)

Replies

• jamiek89
    jamiek89 Posts: 105
    Options
    Not keeping certain foods in the house at all helps me the most! Chocolate is my weakness so I only buy it if Im going to eat it there & then, if it was in the cupboard all of the time then I would eat double the amount I usually do! Maybe you could try swapping every second glass of soda for diet cordial? As a way of cutting those sneaky liquid calories even more? Another great trick is as soon as you go to eat something you know isnt really good for you, ask yourself 'Am I actually hungy?' Why Do I want this? If its because your bored, find something else to do. If its because your upset, talk to someone etc etc. Good luck on your journey!
  • catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    I've not really taken anything out of my diet, 99% of my food is home made, I've just cut portions so I'm not tempted to keep going until the plate is empty. I've also upped the portion size of vegetables. I'm eating less starchy foods but refuse to ban anything as I think its more likely to lead to cravings and who needs them? I'm also making more soups, filling, lots of hidden veggies but for very few calories...theyre also extremely cheap so ideal for anyone on a budget.
  • Awineburg
    Awineburg Posts: 196
    Options
    Drink some sparkling water, they are cheaper than soda and save you calories and sodium and are VERY tasty... You can buy them at Safeway and Target has them to. Try using a mustard instead of 2 tbs of mayo, I love the brown spicy mustard!

I looked at your diary, you should really quit soda or just switch to Diet, or the sparkling water. Wouldn't you rather spend those calories on some yummy food instead of something to drink?

Just give it a try :drinker:
  • Nyirishlass
    Options
    Hi Kate : ) One big thing I took out of my life completely was soda, same as you it was comfort but I was drinking a 2liter a day. My daughter calls it liquid Satan cause it was my biggest weight gain aid and it was so addicting. I mostly drink water or have soy chocolate milk. Another thing that is good for a sweet tooth is the Skinny Cow products, they are yummmmmmy!! I guess the biggest thing is always stay true to you. Count everything you eat and be honest with yourself. You are going to do great and you will love this site and the people on it for sure : )
  • korgscrew
    korgscrew Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Comfort eating........OUT! don't want to add to the diary

Sloppy lunches like tinned spag bol on a buttery pitta bread

Fast food......gone! Hearing that a maccy dee sausage muffin has 20% pork

Soda......BYE! empty calories

I'm basically excersing every day, eating what I want but in a healthier way :-)
  • cbpirie
    cbpirie Posts: 15
    Options
    Good luck . My suggestion is to try to work out as well as you can. Use the FITT principle: Frequency- exercise daily and your body will crave it. Do more than one bout of exercise a day even if it is just walking the dog more often. Intensity- work hard at whatever you are doing. There are free videos on Exercisetv.com and on demand. There are 10 minute solution videos that are very good and very cheap. figure out your target heart rate and check it often to make sure you are working hard enough. Time- Try to get that heart rate up for at least 30 minutes. Type- this mean what kind of exercise you do. Mix it up to create muscle confusion prevent injury and bordom. Start to include strength training and you will feel so good. I have the same amount to lose and I am feeling really good. the scale hasn't moved much but I am working hard at it. Good luck.
  • KELM0710
    KELM0710 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I have tried to quit soda before its really hard for me to do.. I have heard that diet doesnt help you either. Plus the aspartame gives me migraines so I cant do that. I have tried a few kinds of sparkling waters and they werent that great but I know there are tons more I can try.

I love mustard on my sandwiches but that is just a common forgetfulness on my part when making a sandwich as goofy as that sounds. lol

Yes I would love more than anything to eat those calories than drink them.. I used to drink 2-3 sodas (12oz cans) a day and now that I buy the 2 liters I have about 8-10oz usually a day. Still a lot but better than before. Me giving up soda will take baby steps.

I can start buying the skinny cow items because hubby likes those too. :)
  • dungardove
    Options
    Best of luck with new healthy eating plan. This site is amazing and people are so friendly and helpful. I've been struggling with a sluggish metabolism et al for about 8 years. I've done every known diet and a few hair-brained ones of my own.

A couple of weeks ago I had a blood test to see if there were any foods that were stopping me losing weight and the usual wheat and diary came up. I've been eating spelt bread and gluten free products and find they are really helping my system (except for today as I spent day on beach with kids) :ohwell: She also advised give up all sodas, diet inclusive. This was the worst part but I'm now over withdrawal headache. I find making soups are a great filler in the evenings (after my dinner). Current favourite is butternutsquash with teasp hot curry powder in it. I've changed from vintage cheddar cheese to goat's cheese and goat's milk. Goat's cheese with a scrape of cranberry sauce on spelt bread is quite filling as it spelt bread toasted. She was also adamant about getting eating plan in place ie eating every three hours before even thinking about excercise plan. I hope these ideas were of some help to you.

:flowerforyou:
    Martina
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    I agree with not buying the snacks that trigger you, but also make sure you do buy the good snacks and carry them with you so the bad stuff is less tempting when you're out and about. I am not doing so well at this myself right now, as my diary shows!
  • tobitude
    tobitude Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I have the same budget issues as you and all our food is bought for the family, I am able to afford some lower calorie snacks sometimes so I am able to have those. I agree with the portion size and as I was told by many "it comes down to calories in and calories out". We do a monthly dinner menu so I always know what to expect for dinner and adjust either my meals or my excercise accordingly. I have done very well by using this method. I always make sure I eat whatever vegetable I am having first thing or a salad and also drink only water or tea during the meal, helps to fill me up quicker.

It is easier than it seems you just have to find what works for you to keep you from eating too much. :wink:
  • capricorn144
    capricorn144 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I don't use prepared foods because of all sodium in them so I always cooked from scratch. (with the exception of canned or frozen veggies etc) but no boxed dinners or that sort of thing.

You will find it healthier and cheaper to buy bulk for potatoes, onion, carrots and such, and change to whole wheat pasta and brown rice instead of white.

Those things can be the start of many meals. For you (and me :happy: ) who are trying to lose weight we just have to give ourselves smaller portions.

Healthy soups and salads are good too.

Change to water for drinking instead of soda if you can it is a good habit to break (maybe just have one a day for a treat) I also freeze my yogurt and eat it like sherbert.

good luck. There are so many good ideas here.
  • damonmath
    damonmath Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I drink diet Dew by the case... 0 Everything! except for aspartame, which you mentioned you could not have. :(

I try not to eat anything processed, red meat, sugar, bread, dairy (except Parmesan cheese).

I swapped non-fat plain Greek Yogurt with fresh blueberries for ice Cream. Super high in protein.

I only use Olive oil when cooking.

The only other fat I eat is 2 tbsp of flax seed oil daily.

I eat only chicken, fish or whey as my main protein sources.

I only eat brown rice, oatmeal, and beans as my carbs.

I limited myself and got fantastic results. :)
  • Cordy1228
    Cordy1228 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I have always loved Coke and Pepsi (regular), but have cut them out almost entirely. It was hard for me to do, because they were definitely a comfort food. But I started drinking vanilla flavored seltzer. It's not an exact swap, but it gave me the bubbles and the sweet flavor I was looking for to make the breakup less painful.

I also cut way down on getting my coffee out, because when I get it out I get it with regular cream and regular sugar. I still drink as much coffee as I want, but I mostly do it at home so I can control what goes in it. Oh, and so I'm not tempted by the donuts, too.

Now that the weather is nicer, we're grilling outside rather than staying in with casserole-type comfort foods. I don't do much to chicken, steak, pork, or fish when it goes on the grill. Just some Pam and some grill seasoning.

I'm still at the beginning of my journey, so I don't have a lot of helpful hints, but I didn't want to read and not respond.

Good luck to you!
  • SaraTonin
    SaraTonin Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/223939-unemployed-and-healthier

Here is a topic I made about being unemployed and making healthier choices. Money, more than anything, has pissed me off about eating empty calories.

You don't need it, you are free from it! Don't let soda control you, you control IT. For a while I went to KoolAid because at least it's cheap, but remember, you are stronger than the foods that you think control you!
  • KELM0710
    KELM0710 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I think that if I go to drinking even less soda, I will try to give it up completely.The withdrawl headaches are horrible for me. I just need to find something else that i like just as much. Lemonade and Iced tea together are great. its just buying the stuff to make it at the store. My mind is usually focused on "oh no there is no more soda in the house, i have to buy some before i get a headache..."

As far as snacks, I usually try not to buy ones that I know are bad. My Mother in law just bought mini newtons(100 cal pack) and the are really good plus my 3 yr old loves them too :) I know its probably a little more expensive to buy them that way but if more than one person in the house will eat it then im fine with that.

I need to start buying healthier pasta and get away from the pasta sides, all that is is sodium pretty much. I need ideas on how to make healthier rice/pasta that is like the pasta sides i get. (i.e. chicken flavor)

I use olive oil for everything that asks for oil.
    I make coffee at home, I just use dunkin donut grounds. Im super glad I dont actually go to dunkin because most of the time the donuts rope me in. lol

We love to grill as well, just need to save for a new grill. Hopefully by summer :):)

Sarah..I totally agree with you about money pissing me off. I hate that I am soooo limited on what I can buy. Thanks for showing me your post. It helps :) Fast food/getting pizza, etc is our weakness on the weekends..I dont really have an issue during the week because I dont have the gas to go anywhere. I need to go thru my bank acct statements to see how much we waste on going out like that. Hopefully that makes mer realize all the money I could be spending on other stuff.