opinion on honda fit and ford fiesta

Options
JenBrown0210
JenBrown0210 Posts: 985 Member
Hey Everyone. So I know this is not MFP related, that is why I am posting this in chit-chat.

The hubs and I need to get a more economical car. We have already been approved for a loan for 17,000 all together including our trade in. Now we just have to find the right car. We are debating on the Honda Fit (see kinda related) or the Ford Fiesta. I really want the Honda Fit but it is a little out of our price range, the hubby wants the Fiesta. One thing is we have to be able to fit two car seats and a booster in the back. The Fiesta is a little smaller inside. Does anyone have one of these cars? I have been doing a lot of research and we are going to test drive tomorrow.

Thanks in advanced.
Jennifer

Replies

• HelenTheKitchen
    Options
    I can't voice on the fiesta, but my mother has the fit and we borrowed it for a weekend and loved it. It had plenty of space despite being able to fit in the tiniest parking space, enough trunk space to fit two bikes, and it was great on gas. This was just my experience.

She loves it too.
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    Go for the Honda. Japanese cars last for ages.
  • JenBrown0210
    JenBrown0210 Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    I can't voice on the fiesta, but my mother has the fit and we borrowed it for a weekend and loved it. It had plenty of space despite being able to fit in the tiniest parking space, enough trunk space to fit two bikes, and it was great on gas. This was just my experience.

She loves it too.
    Thank you! I am totally going to use this for my hubby. The fiesta is smaller.
  • sayteevah
    Options
    I have the Fit. It is awesome. Roomier compartment in back for their stuff makes it easier to fit all my kids in the seats. More legroom in backseats (I have teens), so fits 5 nicely even with youngest in gigantic carseat in middle. 36 mixed city/hwy, 40 hwy, no repairs necessary, and I expect it to last me 10 years... So I thought it well worth the extra expense. IMO much easier to drive, and the better handling makes it safer for me. I went from a huge minivan to this car without trauma.

I had the same considerations, so best advice I can give is DO NOT rely on measurements - take all the car seats out even though it's a pain, put them in while test driving, and make sure they actually fit the new car. :-P
  • roxiedo
    roxiedo Posts: 154
    Options
    Go for the Honda. Japanese cars last for ages.

Hondas you go forever with little problem, great gas mileage. I had a Ford and there was one thing after another wrong with it - only lasted a few years. Will never buy anything but a Honda anymore love them great investment
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    VW Jetta TDI! You will get better fuel mileage, more power, and you get to drive a normal looking car (if you're into that sort of thing). The new ones are probably slightly out of your price range, but if you get one that is pre 2010, you will get about 50 mpg on the highway stock (new ones are 42 highway:sad: ). Find a year 2000 - 2004 for $5,000 and it will last you forever (diesel engines will easily go 400,000+ miles). These cars also have great resale value. And the best thing of all, if you upgrade the engine, you'll actually see an increase in gas mileage; I hear of people getting 60+ mpg all the time.

I don't know what more I can say, but I've had my 2000 Jetta TDI for 7 months now and LOVE it. Message me if you want more info.