for the ladies - PCOS

Options
Does anyone else have polycystic ovary syndrome? I've probably had it all my life but just got an official diagnosis in the past several months. For the past 2 years I've dealt with multiple ruptured cysts, surgery for one of them and have permanent damage causing constant pain. Anyway, one of the things with PCOS is that most women who have it also have weight problems. I have a constant craving for pasta, breads, sugars and I believe that's from the PCOS from what I've read/researched. I always wondered why my three sisters never had a problem with their weight and I've always had a constant struggle. I found this site as a result of a book I read on PCOS that had a great nutrition section and advised counting calories, so that's what I'm going to do! I need to lose weight and I'm totally determined. I believe that using the food diary, recipes, nutrition/food ideas and encouragement from everyone here will help me get to my goal.

Replies

• Laynee
    Laynee Posts: 45
    Options
    Does anyone else have polycystic ovary syndrome? I've probably had it all my life but just got an official diagnosis in the past several months. For the past 2 years I've dealt with multiple ruptured cysts, surgery for one of them and have permanent damage causing constant pain. Anyway, one of the things with PCOS is that most women who have it also have weight problems. I have a constant craving for pasta, breads, sugars and I believe that's from the PCOS from what I've read/researched. I always wondered why my three sisters never had a problem with their weight and I've always had a constant struggle. I found this site as a result of a book I read on PCOS that had a great nutrition section and advised counting calories, so that's what I'm going to do! I need to lose weight and I'm totally determined. I believe that using the food diary, recipes, nutrition/food ideas and encouragement from everyone here will help me get to my goal.
  • Canelitas
    Canelitas Posts: 712
    Options
    I do, I was diagnosed in 2006
  • jackeh
    jackeh Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    i think i just recently saw a post about this ....you should try searching it here ... i know there were a few girls with this condition
  • Laynee
    Options
    Is there an official way to do a search? If there is, I haven't figured it out yet! Or do I just scroll through posts to try to find it?
  • BetterVersion
    Options
    I have PCOS. I was diagnosed when I was eighteen. I've never functioned "normally" and I've always had a weight problem. I am struggling with infertility. My son was conceived with the aid of several rounds of fertility drugs and inseminations. I just finished up with several rounds of the same treatment trying to conceive our second child, only this time my body's so completely screwed up that I didn't respond to anything. I've decided to take a break from trying to have that baby and work on my weight. That's really why I'm here. I have to give it all I can to try and get healthier so that hopefully we can have another baby. And even if it doesn't work (which I'm not convinced losing weight actually helps you conceive- though doctors shove that down your throat) I at least need to have something to look forward to, and losing the weight and feeling better about myself is something I can do for ME.

I've heard many times that losing weight is very hard for PCOS sufferers. I've never found it hard to lose weight... just hard to get the motivation to get off my lazy butt and try. But a lot of people do say they try and try and try and it just doesn't come off. Have you started on any medications? I was on a med earlier this year- Metformin (Glucophage)- and it really helped me lose weight. I lost thirteen pounds after starting it, and didn't put one ounce of effort into it.

Counting calories and forcing myself to work out has always been successful for me. The hardest part is just keeping up the motivation. I'm still fairly new here, but I'm finding this site really helps with the motivation part. It's worth a shot anyway, right?
  • Laynee
    Options
    I found the other thread from not too long ago by scrolling down. I'm only on BC right now to try to suppress the cyst formation. I've had several ultrasounds in the past months due to another large cyst which was smaller on the last ultrasound. I have another one scheduled for next month and may have to have the ovary removed if it's persistent. It's the side I have constant pain on so I'm actually hoping the cyst is still there and my doctor would be willing to remove the ovary just to see if this pain goes away. I'm 52 and according to lab work, not near menopause. At this point I really want all of it to be over with but I'm trying to stay positive and work on my health/weight and just hoping I can get resolution to all this eventually. I also had problems getting pregnant, was on Clomid, etc. but after a while my husband and I decided to quit and leave it in God's hands. Several months after that I got pregnant and had my daughter when I was 41. Metformin has been mentioned to me but I'm not on it yet at this point (blood sugar is fine). I know motivation is a key factor in all this and you all are helping me and I hope I can do the same for you. Thanks ladies!