Well, one mystery solved!

Options
Ok, so--when I got back from vacation, I mentioned how hungry I had been the whole time. And, it hasn't stopped either. For the last 2 weeks, I have felt like I could just eat and eat and eat and eat! So I sat down today and tried to figure out what has changed.

That's when it hit me--th_DOh.gif

On Aug. 4th, I came off all diabetes meds when I stopped taking Metformin. Five days after that, I went on vacation. I went back on Metformin last week, but came off again a couple days ago.

Anyway, I remembered my doc saying to stay on the Metformin as long as I wasn't having problems with lows, as it would help me with weight loss. I had never heard of that, so I asked her how, and she said it would help decrease and control my appetite and "hunger pains."

Which means--no Metformin means "hunger pains"

SOOOOOOOOOOo, once again. call me "Homer" cartoon57.gif

Which also means, this is driving me nuts! I am craving everything. So, I might go back on the Metformin and try it at 1/2 pill 2x a day--see how that helps with the cravings and it might not give me lows if I take 1/2 at a time.

Keeping on thinking and trying things to see what is going to work and keep on working to get me healthy!
hs1zu.gif

Replies

• shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    Ok, so--when I got back from vacation, I mentioned how hungry I had been the whole time. And, it hasn't stopped either. For the last 2 weeks, I have felt like I could just eat and eat and eat and eat! So I sat down today and tried to figure out what has changed.

That's when it hit me--th_DOh.gif

On Aug. 4th, I came off all diabetes meds when I stopped taking Metformin. Five days after that, I went on vacation. I went back on Metformin last week, but came off again a couple days ago.

Anyway, I remembered my doc saying to stay on the Metformin as long as I wasn't having problems with lows, as it would help me with weight loss. I had never heard of that, so I asked her how, and she said it would help decrease and control my appetite and "hunger pains."

Which means--no Metformin means "hunger pains"

SOOOOOOOOOOo, once again. call me "Homer" cartoon57.gif

Which also means, this is driving me nuts! I am craving everything. So, I might go back on the Metformin and try it at 1/2 pill 2x a day--see how that helps with the cravings and it might not give me lows if I take 1/2 at a time.

Keeping on thinking and trying things to see what is going to work and keep on working to get me healthy!
    hs1zu.gif
  • Canelitas
    Canelitas Posts: 712
    Options
    In that case, I guess I should statr taking it at lunch time instead of dinner. :wink:
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    In that case, I guess I should statr taking it at lunch time instead of dinner. :wink:

I read on a couple sites that docs are prescribing it for NON-DIABETICS as a weight loss aide, and in larger amounts than I was taking for diabetes control! Some people are prescribed up to 2000 mgs a day for weight loss control! :noway: I was only taking 1000 mg a day for my diabetes, so I'll try 500 a day and see what happens.

{sigh}---does thinking burn up calories??
  • pecksun8
    pecksun8 Posts: 570
    Options
    I think we all have the Homer moments, aren't they great?

But it's always easier to look back and see what we shoulda coulda wouda...:noway:

Keep us posted.