What to eat with egg whites in the morning?

Options
So lately I've been making a little breakfast sandwich that consists of egg whites, turkey bacon, and a whole grain English muffin. Love it! Here's the problem, the turkey bacon. I've been searching the internet and realizing my much loved turkey bacon isn't all that healthy. I'd like to skip bacon altogether. So what other healthy protein do you all pair with egg whites? I'm already eating chicken for either lunch, dinner or both so that one is out. Thanks!

Replies

• harvick29fan
    harvick29fan Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I love canadian bacon and ham when I make breakfast sandwiches. They are higher in sodium (thankfully I have low blood pressure and my family doc and a cardiologist both told me to eat more salt---not such a bad problem to have I guess.)
  • one4x4queen
    Options
    What about a few slices of turkey lunch meat?
  • WifedUpMartin
    WifedUpMartin Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I'd like to know too because I had the exact same thing for breakfast this morning! I know the sodium on the turkey bacon isn't good but I didn't know it wasn't all that healthy. I thought I was doing good haha!
  • lollie1285
    lollie1285 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I almost always eat my eggs with a Morningstar maple veggie sausage. It is so delicious. I don't eat pig of any kind, the faux sausage is a pretty good deal. They are delicious. If I have enough calories, I'll pair it with a slice of cheese and a slice of wheat bread or a Weight Watchers whole wheat english muffin. You could also do cottage cheese with fruit.
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options
    Cheese or cottage cheese
  • WifedUpMartin
    WifedUpMartin Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    What about a few slices of turkey lunch meat?

I don't if that would be any healthier, I know the sodium content is horrible in lunch meats. I could be wrong. Please correct me if I am!
  • dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Turkey bacon isn't too bad. I sometimes do turkey bacon, sometimes canadian bacon, and sometimes morningstar sausage. Usually with one whole egg, and 2 whites, a slice of fat free cheese, and whole wheat english muffin.

Some other ways I like my egg whites, is to use them in french toast, or protein pancakes.

You do need to look at the packages on the turkey bacon. some are lower in sodium than others.
  • krsaxton
    krsaxton Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I eat mine with canadian bacon and Weight Watchers cheddar cheese slice. YUM! :)
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Why are you only eating the egg whites? Most of the good stuff in the egg is in the yolks! The Omegas, the lutein, the choline, etc. I will never, ever understand the irrational fear that people harbor of whole eggs.

Moving on...

Your whole grain English Muffin is the thing that needs to go. It's nothing but simple carbs, AKA sugar. No benefit to that whatsoever. Might as wel put a few tablespoons of sugar on your egg whites, seriously. Your body metabolizes it the same way.
  • funkyspunky871
    funkyspunky871 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    I've never, ever eaten this, but I saw a previous suggestion on MFP about eating scrambled egg whites over plain old fashioned oatmeal. :\ Doesn't sound too bad.

Hehe. Whoops. That's what I get for answering the question before reading the very last sentence. :) Lol. Honestly, turkey bacon isn't that bad for you. Neither is regular bacon -- especially the 40% (or something) lean kind.
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    What are you finding unhealthy about the turkey bacon? The additives? Look for brands: Welshire Farms, Applegate Farms, or Garrett County Farms. Those are the brands I eat. No added nitrates or phosphates or any of that junk. For 2 slices, I get 80 cal, 3g fat. 12g protein, 0 carb. Scrutinize the labels carefully and hopefully you can find a suitable brand in your area if those 3 aren't available.

Canadian bacon is also an excellent choice, but almost impossible to find without the added -ites or -ates. The Whole Foods near me does have a clean one at the deli meat counter, so there are some options out there.
  • Susan77
    Susan77 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I have about the same breakfast's....Have you thought about turkey sausage???
  • RyonsLions2
    RyonsLions2 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Definitely a slice of american cheese... I use the 2%. I am STILL losing weight...I usually do a whole scrambled egg (lightly salted and peppered) on a toasted English muffin with slightly melted cheese on it!! YUM YUM!!
  • kmb2522
    kmb2522 Posts: 48
    Options
    i like to make turkey, egg whites, and cheddar cheese its so good
  • juliapurpletoes
    juliapurpletoes Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    Trader Joes sells some pretty good vegetarian "sausage" type patties, ever considered?
  • rjonin
    rjonin Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    If you eat fish, consider shrimp. I've been using about 3-5 shrimp, sometimes I slice them into smaller pieces and put on an egg white omelette or whole with an egg white scramble.

Even with the high protein per gram/serving, you still have to consider the cholesterol and high sodium.(no where near turkey bacon though)

Good Luck!

p.s. I love all bacon
  • DisneyMommy
    DisneyMommy Posts: 281
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions and replies all!

What I don't like about the turkey bacon is the nitrates. So I could try to find some without. I'm going to look at the Morningstar options as well. I completely forgot about that, so thank you for the suggestion. Cheese is another good suggestion. I knew I came to the right place.

Someone mentioned only eating egg whites. I do that because I can't stomach the yolks. Wish I could but I've never been able to. I know, I'm weird. Also the english muffin, yes I know it's not that great but it's way better than the multiple slices of white bread I used to eat. I'm making this change in steps I know I can stick with. I'm sure most here can appreciate that.
  • smgapv
    smgapv Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I agree, Applegate farms is the way to go. My BF is very sensitive to additives in food-it upsets his stomach something fierce, so over the past year we have become very strict on what processed items we allow in our house. How about just making egg whites with spinach and low fat feta frittata style??
  • thumper44
    thumper44 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    I like onions, so my egg whites, always are made this way.
    chopped up: onion, and if I have red, yellow, green pepper - slightly fried up.
    Then mixed it up with the egg whites and I've used ham, and so far turkey sausage.

I started with Whole wheat tortillas and made my own egg burritos (added 1 tsp of salsa in each one)

Recently, I've either scrambled them up, or I make an omelette,maybe some cheese in the middle and without the bread.
  • LOVINLIFEGUY
    Options
    I cut up asiago cheese and spinach chicken sausages and add them to my 2 eggs and 2egg whites along with cut up red and bell pepers and 1/4 cup shreded cheese. very good! Yes it is chicken but you would never guess. I like to grill mine on the grill and cut them up.