Another question for the ladies....Men:Keep Out!!!! :)

Options
TamTastic
TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
Well, I started taking prenatal vitamins. I'm not pregnant and don't plan to be for at least another couple of months, but I ran out of multi-vitamins and figured might as well start!!!

ANYWAY, they seem to be making me feel a little sick to my stomach. Not horrible or to the point I can't function....but definitely OFF. I am not usually one to be sensitive to this type of thing. My last pregnancy, I had no problem when I took them.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Replies

• TamTastic
    Options
    Well, I started taking prenatal vitamins. I'm not pregnant and don't plan to be for at least another couple of months, but I ran out of multi-vitamins and figured might as well start!!!

ANYWAY, they seem to be making me feel a little sick to my stomach. Not horrible or to the point I can't function....but definitely OFF. I am not usually one to be sensitive to this type of thing. My last pregnancy, I had no problem when I took them.

• tanzmamma
    tanzmamma Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh going to try for a lil one soon?? Awwww!

And YES when I used to take prenatals they made me ILL. What I found, was taking them at night before bed helped me.............

Good luck and have fun practicing hehe
  • emibmas
    emibmas Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    I had issues with my pre-natals. My nurse told me to take it OJ, that the OJ conteracts something or another. I am not quite sure the logic, but it worked for me.

A side note: Thank you for being so awesome:flowerforyou:
  • LandBsdotingchauffeur
    Options
    yup, they made me queasy too. Like the pp, I took them before bed and slept through that!!

HTH,
    Heidi
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    you may want to cut them in half and take 1/2 with breakfast and half with lunch or dinner. Vitamins can be pretty strong and easily upset the stomach and I had to take them at bedtime while I was pregnant to avoid feeling sick.
  • pecksun8
    pecksun8 Posts: 570
    Options
    Well, my husband and I have been trying for a year now to get pregnant and we are not too concerned if we do or don’t just now, (I want to get healthier…) but...I decided to start taking pre-nat vitamins and I have actually been feeling a lot better since I have been taking them.
    I think for me it's the extra iron and a few other ingredients that have been helping.

Maybe you just don't need those extra vitamins that your body either produces on its own or you’re getting enough of those vitamins through the food you’re eating. It could also be that some of the vitamins are not digesting correctly for you. I would see about getting some free packets from different companies and trying a few different types out until you find the right one.

My husband has the same problem with regular vitamins, and I have tried him on a couple of different brands, but I am begining to wonder if he is just being a baby and not wanting to take vitamins. Maybe I should get him some Flintstones?
  • TamTastic
    Options
    Hmmm, interesting! Thanks guys! I usually just take it when I get up in the morning out of habit, but maybe I will start taking it before bed and see if that helps. And the cutting in half might work as well.

Yep, we are looking to start trying around late October/Early November. We will see how long it takes! Last time, I got pregnant VERY fast but I never assume anything!! :wink:
  • TamTastic
    Options
    I had issues with my pre-natals. My nurse told me to take it OJ, that the OJ conteracts something or another. I am not quite sure the logic, but it worked for me.

A side note: Thank you for being so awesome:flowerforyou:

Thank YOU for such a nice comment!!!! :happy:
  • sweetandstormy
    Options
    I can't take any kind of multivitamin without feeling sick. When I was pregnant, my doctor had me take 2 Flintstone's chewables every morning instead of a prenatal. I even had to eat a piece of bread when I took those or I felt yucky all day.
  • iftcheiaf
    iftcheiaf Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    I know they are super powerful stuff. With my daughter, my weight was pretty high so I could tolerate them. But with my son, I was considerably on the low side for weight and my body couldn't tolerate the high dosage, so I ended up having to take Flintstone vitamins. The prenatal vitamins are supposed to be pretty heavy duty because it's for two lives. And since you've lost so much weight (looking great by the way), maybe it's too much for your body...especially since at this exact moment you're only taking it for one.
  • TamTastic
    Options
    I know they are super powerful stuff. With my daughter, my weight was pretty high so I could tolerate them. But with my son, I was considerably on the low side for weight and my body couldn't tolerate the high dosage, so I ended up having to take Flintstone vitamins. The prenatal vitamins are supposed to be pretty heavy duty because it's for two lives. And since you've lost so much weight (looking great by the way), maybe it's too much for your body...especially since at this exact moment you're only taking it for one.

Hmm, I was wondering about that!! Yeah, I was MUCH heavier when I was pregnant last time. That could very well be why I didn't have an issue before. It is good to take them for 2-3 months before getting pregnant right?? At least that is what I have heard.
  • klikittyklak
    Options
    Eat before taking them, it's supposed to combat the nausea.
  • SoupNazi
    SoupNazi Posts: 4,229 Member
    Options
    Oh my goodness...they made me so sick too. My doctor said it was the high iron content in them. I switched to a different brand that actually worked better for me. Just remember to never take it on an empty stomach.:sick:

Good luck on your upcoming pregnancy.:flowerforyou:
  • TamTastic
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Today, I will wait until I have eaten. Hmm, maybe I will even take half with breakfast and half with lunch and see how that works.
  • laurenk182004
    laurenk182004 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    funny, I just started taking them again about a week ago...lol my reason is silly, but I was hoping my hair would grow faster haha. Anyways, I did notice that I felt yucky in the tummy department about a half hour after taking them, and for about a half hour after that, but I think the reason that I'm feeling that way is b/c I don't eat first thing in the morning. If u take the pill with food it's supposed to help. I don't feel sick anymore though, it was only for the first few days. Good luck tam and let me know when u start trying lol we're planning another one soon too! Maybe we can get pregnant together! lol (that sounds soooo worng)
  • sculley
    sculley Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options

When I was pregnant with Rion I had this problem so badly that i was getting nauseated so I had to find my vitamins elsewhere.
  • kleimola
    kleimola Posts: 210 Member
    Options

The Walmart brand was the only kind that didn't make me sick when I was trying/pregnant. I would take them at night and still got sick on the prescription brand.
  • firegirlred
    firegirlred Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    As a previous poster said, it is the iron content in the vitamin that makes you sick (more than likely). You can request a prescription from the doctor for a prenatal without iron, as this is a pretty common problem, and many women have similar experiences.

Good luck.
  • skinnydreams
    skinnydreams Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    Definately experienced the same.......and how exciting for you to start trying for baby #2!!!!!!!!! Taking it with food or closer to bedtime did help a bit, not totally, but definitely better than first thing in the morning! By the way.....I did the same thing and figured we'd have a few months of trying, but this new lifestyle and fitter body accepted the challenge and we were pregers right away!!! Best of luck to you! I'm at 9.5 weeks now, so we'll get to spend a bit of our pregnancies together anyway! Then get back in full force and reach our goals!!!!!!
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    I'm in between my 2nd and 3rd loop of a long ride and taking a break at home-so don't have time to read the replies BUT_________

Tam, Honey,Sister from another Mister----

You know that at some point you're going to have to invite at least 1 man in, right??? :tongue: :tongue: