Foot Pain in Healed Broken Foot

Options
Hi all -

I broke my foot about a year ago and it's healed, but whenever I spend a lot of time on it walking or working out it still aches inside. I'm hoping the strength in that foot will improve with time and I'm taking painkillers, but I'd prefer to find some alternate solutions which don't include damaging my liver with drugs. I've been soaking my foot regularly and making sure I'm wearing supportive shoes.

I know you many of you will suggest I see a medical professional... I spoke to my dr a few mos ago about it and she told me it just takes time to get back to normal, but I can't visit again for now since I have no medical insurance at the moment.

Any pointers or ideas for helping would be great!

Replies

• nicmacc
    nicmacc Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I'm recovering from a broken ankle and I find that when I do my physio exercises the physio guy gave me I feel much better. He said to do them everyday to strenghten I find it works! I have friends who havent done the recommended exercises and have felt worse. Have you seen a physio? Well worth it.:smile:
  • JulianneR
    JulianneR Posts: 46
    Options
    A few years ago I had a BAD break (hospitalizaiton, surgeries, years of PT). What got rid of my pain, utimately, was acupuncture and green smoothies (60% fruit, 40% greens). You can google green smoothies to see how they help the body heal. These things worked for me. I have no pain any more and have no restrictions. Good luck!
  • kacarter1017
    kacarter1017 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I had a stress fracture in my foot and had(have) residual soft tissue problems. I was given the advice to write the letters of the alphabet with my foot. Also, put your toes under a chair or couch and try to lift it with your toes. These kinds of exercises will build the strength in your foot. I still have problems with it, but it's MUCH better! The more weight I lose, the better it gets.
  • Aeriel
    Aeriel Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    I broke my ankle and side of my foot about 11 years ago. I had the same tightness, lingering pain and soreness for about 6 months, until I went to the chiropractor. He said I had actually misaligned some of the joints/bones in my foot and ankle when I was walking on the healing foot. A few treatments with him and the pain and soreness was gone.
  • theladebug
    theladebug Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the ideas. My dr didnt send me to physio since I didn't go in to see her until 5-6 months after the break and when they did x-rays the bone had already healed. I guess when it bothered me I mostly just stayed off of it, but that just isnt an option for me anymore. I'm not sure how expensive physio is without insurance but I will look into it to see if I can afford it.

Thanks for the suggestion on the green smoothies. I'm a little scared of the acupuncture, but I will check into both :)
  • lcoulter23
    lcoulter23 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I broke my ankle eleven years ago and it still gives me trouble. I actually have arthritis in it. I had to have surgery on it and have screws put in and then taken out a year and a half later. I couldn't walk from October to December and then it took months of physical therapy for me to be able to walk even slightly normal. In July of 2001, 9 months after my accident, I went to China on a missions trip and got to climb the great wall. It was painful, but an awesome experience. It was really hot and my ankle was horribly swollen the entire time. Look up some exercises for your foot online. I still do mine that I got from therapy years ago and my ankle continues to get stronger.
  • theladebug
    Options
    oh thanks kacarter1017!

My doc DID recommend that I write the alphabet with that foot to help the pain but I got out of the habit once it was feeling better! I will make a note to do that again a few times a day to see if it helps.
  • amymrls
    amymrls Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    Hey why did you crop my picture out of your pic! rude
  • sinclare
    sinclare Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    i broke my foot years ago and it hurts just thinking about it.

the alphabet thing is really good. do it am/pm. i can't remember all the other ones. you could probably google "foot excercise" or look it up in a book on stretching. just go easy, and use ice on your foot after you work out. ice really helps.

good luck!
  • sinclare
    sinclare Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    i broke my foot years ago and it hurts just thinking about it.

the alphabet thing is really good. do it am/pm. i can't remember all the other ones. you could probably google "foot excercise" or look it up in a book on stretching. just go easy, and use ice on your foot after you work out. ice really helps.

good luck!
  • JulianneR
    JulianneR Posts: 46
    Options
    Thanks for the ideas. My dr didnt send me to physio since I didn't go in to see her until 5-6 months after the break and when they did x-rays the bone had already healed. I guess when it bothered me I mostly just stayed off of it, but that just isnt an option for me anymore. I'm not sure how expensive physio is without insurance but I will look into it to see if I can afford it.

Thanks for the suggestion on the green smoothies. I'm a little scared of the acupuncture, but I will check into both :)

About acupuncture: you feel nothing at all, only the persons fingers where he or she is touching you to insert the needle.

A couple of people said chiropractor. I also think any kind of body work helps. If you think about it, when you're on crutches and then limpling, your body has to compensate big-time for being out of alignment. Stuff gets out of whack. You may not notice it for years afterwards. I also saw a rolfer -- you can look them up too. Hands down, THE best thing I ever did was get rolfed. Whole body gets in alignment. There are injuries I had that I thought I just had to live with, but after a few sessions no pain at all. Our bodies really do want to heal. That's why the greens in the smoothies are so important; they heal your system. I suggest to try stuff until you find the thing that works for you. Don't settle for pain or stiffness. You don't have to at all.
  • theladebug
    Options
    Hey why did you crop my picture out of your pic! rude

haha you hate that pic and you know it!
  • YACHTMASTER07
    Options
    With how are medical system is, not all get cleared by doctors. We get tossed out with a rubber band, no physical therapy, and I end up spending an ungodly amount of money through ERs, because our medical system is so severely screwed! ( Non related to foot broken, but SPINAL FRACTURES! Pay for my laser Spine Surgery, and a miracle! No pain pills , nausea, and you can't imagine!!! I just pray for any others out there that go through disappointment and heartache through the medical system, all before my husbands booming App about to be launched for Apple!!! Success! I will fight for us! God Bless!!! It does get better! Never lose hope!!
  • GunslingerGirl
    GunslingerGirl Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I broke my foot in many different places 2 years ago and it still hurts today even after PT and such. For me, it's going to last the rest of my life. But what helps me is to use a hand massager. It really helps a lot to release the tension in my muscles. Even just using your fingers works too. It'll hurt at first, but the longer you do it the better your foot feels. Hope I could help
  • 1capybara
    1capybara Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Hi all -

I broke my foot about a year ago and it's healed, but whenever I spend a lot of time on it walking or working out it still aches inside. I'm hoping the strength in that foot will improve with time and I'm taking painkillers, but I'd prefer to find some alternate solutions which don't include damaging my liver with drugs. I've been soaking my foot regularly and making sure I'm wearing supportive shoes.

I know you many of you will suggest I see a medical professional... I spoke to my dr a few mos ago about it and she told me it just takes time to get back to normal, but I can't visit again for now since I have no medical insurance at the moment.
    Any pointers or ideas for helping would be great!
    pls be careful with the painkillers. acetameniphen (tylenol, called in the UK paracetomol) is the #1 cause of ER admissions in the US and the UK, and steroids arent intended for long term use. if you gotta take something advil (ibuprofen) limited to six per day, maybe the safest choice.
    ###
    i really love many of the answers in this topic, its just full of good advice!
  • donyellemoniquex3
    donyellemoniquex3 Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    Really old thread, but good info so BUMP
  • aribugg
    aribugg Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem! I also didn't go to the doctor when it was actually broken haha. We thought it was just a bad sprain, until the pain never went away. Since ive started this journey, ive found those barefoot shoes help me a lot. I know thats weird because they have no real support, but i noticed if i was at home barefooted i could go all day. if i went to the store wearing my shoes, i had maybe an hour before my entire day was ruined. check out those shoes, if you havent already.
    Here are some exercises ive found are very easy on the ankle, or dont bother me at all:

High knees and/or jogging in place (because of my ankle, i cant even think about running at this weight :/)
    Mountain climbers (but always make sure you arent rushing it too much)
    Jump squats (this has also helped my strengthen my ankle)
    I can never do these if im already feeling pain, and in the beginning it was pretty rough but so worth it. pay attention to your form and your ankle when you do any of them, and you should be fine :]