Are rice cakes good for you?

Options
2»

Replies

• skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    Options
    It's all a matter of opinion. For the snackers, they might be good because they're low-cal, but at the same time, the snackers need to learn not to snack all the time if they're going to be truly successful in their weight loss. I personally like them from time to time when I get the munchies because they're better than eating a bag of reese's peanut butter cups!

You can use rice cakes for something other than snacking--they make full sized ones to use instead of bread in a meal--also what is wrong with snacking--many healthy people eat smaller meals or "snacks" throughout the day, rather than 2 or 3 big heavy meals--in fact, many nutritionists recommend that approach.

When I say snacking, I am not referring to small meals. I am referring to those people who eat when they get bored, even when they have had enough to eat throughout the day. While the small meal approach is applauded by some nutritionists, it is frowned upon by others. It is all a matter of personal preference. Also, I am well aware that there are other uses for rice cakes. I was just saying what *I* use them for. I've read some great ideas that I hadn't thought of and will probably try. I am on a hummus kick right now, and had never thought about putting it on a rice cake, sounds really tasty.

Ahhh! Now I get what you are saying--I agree that boredom snacking can be a killer! I also love hummus--usually eat it for breakfast w/ some kashi heart to heart crackers, but I ran out last week and had to substitute a rice cake. It was really yummy and a lot less calories/sodium than the crackers!
  • lollie1285
    lollie1285 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Have you ever tried the Quaker creme brulee ones? They are divine! I only eat those because I crave rice krispie treats and never feel like making them (or eating the calories), so I eat those every once in a while when I want a little snack.
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    They may be low calorie, but everything "low calorie" may not be good for you. You have to decide if something fits into the way you want to Live/Eat. I follow the South Beach Plan as much as I can, so Rice Cakes do not fit because they are very High Glycemic, meaning they basically hit the stomach... and raise/release the insulin level QUICKLY...High/Raised Insulin Levels cause wt gain/fat cell stroage along with many other problems.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    what do you mean for a diabetic no? I like the flavoured ones as a snack. Maybe something would be more filling, but I do like the flavour. :flowerforyou:

Rice is any form is not good for a Diabetic..........They are just empty, nutrititional void food like substance.