How much gum do you go through per day?

WalkingGirl1985
WalkingGirl1985 Posts: 2,046 Member
edited September 26 in Food and Nutrition
I like to get the sugar free gum, dessert or fruit ones. A pack of 15..I can easily go through 1/2 to a full pack a day when doing a good week. What about you?

Replies

• Jourdan_Rystrom
    Jourdan_Rystrom Posts: 176 Member
    When I'm actually concentrating on chewing gum to lose weight, I can go through two packs a week. I like the Orbitz Mint Green one...yum yum yum!
  • WalkingGirl1985
    WalkingGirl1985 Posts: 2,046 Member
    So i think chewing a pack of gum a day is a bad thing?
  • Christine1110
    Christine1110 Posts: 1,786 Member
    When I have trouble drinking alot of water.....I chew mint gum. It make the water so much better.
  • Tera2KiloByte
    Tera2KiloByte Posts: 18 Member
    I chew gum all day long at my desk. I can go through one of those cups of gum pieces in less than two weeks. If I can get pass my wife with a flavor other than mint, it can be easily gone in a few days.
  • kartunes
    kartunes Posts: 46
    I don't chew gum, but I do go through Ice Breakers Mints like a crazy person :P
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    I've found that I only want to chew it while I'm at work. It's been helping me to keep my eating under control while I'm there -- plus, I find it to be a great stress reliever!
  • Bermudabarbie
    Bermudabarbie Posts: 568 Member
    Just started the sugar free Wrigley's habit! Love the Chocolate Chip Mint and Strawberry Shortcake from the Dessert Delights and the Watermelon. Can chew 4 or 5 pieces a day. It's not "terribly attractive" (chewing gum), but neither is being overweight!

Love the gum! Highly recommend it!
  • Bringerofrain
    Bringerofrain Posts: 163 Member
    I love "Rain" Spearmint. I chew gum all day long. 1/2 a stick usually lasts a good long time, morning till noon. Then I have the 2nd 1/2 for the afternoon. I tend to grind my teeth so I always have gum around but it has to be "Rain" Spearmint lol It's the one thing that I couldn't give up but it only has 3 cals per 1/2 stick ;)
  • SueGeer
    SueGeer Posts: 1,169 Member
    Sorry guys - I HATE gum!!! Can't figure out what the attraction is, especially after the first rush of taste has gone (ie after 10 seconds). The sight of seeing someone constantly chewing turns my stomach, especially if they do it open-mouthed! Yuck! Yuck! Yuck! :grumble:

Sue :smile: x
  • cowpoke06
    cowpoke06 Posts: 171
    I don't chew much gum because I have TMJ and it gives me headaches...so do really chewy foods. booo. I do chew gum occassionally but only for like, 5 minutes at a time.
  • jhmomofmany
    jhmomofmany Posts: 571 Member
    I really only chew gum at work (I work at a little grocery store) to avoid snacking. Once the gum looses its flavor I spit it out, but on a night I'm really craving I might chew four or five pieces in six hours!
  • MissKMN
    MissKMN Posts: 119
    I actually gave this up :( I loooove gum and at most I'll chew a few pieces a week now. It's packed with aspartame and the more I did research on the side effects, the more I realized that gum (of all things) was making me sick and causing some of my health problems. Scary, right...
  • gibsonshm
    gibsonshm Posts: 8 Member
    I love gum! I chew some everyday! When my co-workers are all grabbing M&M's and candy; I grab my gum! My favorite is the mint flavor! It helps get me through my day! I do find I love drinking water more when I am chewing gum!
  • sammys1girly
    sammys1girly Posts: 1,045 Member
    I keep it in my desk drawer at home so when I'm on the computer and feel like getting another piece of candy or snacks, I pop in several pieces and chaw away!:noway:
  • ohhbee2012
    ohhbee2012 Posts: 17
    i am most definitely a gum addict. i agree with another person here..5 Rain gum is the only kind I chew! I might over do it, I chew about a pack a day. I change pieces every half hour in the afternoon to keep myself from snacks.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,423 Member
    None - I think it's horrible stuff.
    Seeing adults chewing gum just looks really immature to me. And in a work situation, really unprofessional.
    Sorry, but that's my opinion.
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    I average 1-2 pieces per week. I only chew it when I'm finding for good really, really badly or am inexplicably hungry between normal meal/snack times and nothing else calms the stomach.

But I only chew it at my desk. I also hate chewing gum and seeing people chew it. So if I have to go to a meeting or chat with folks then the gum gets thrown out.
  • pixietoes
    pixietoes Posts: 1,591 Member
    None.

I might stand in the minority here, but when I started making decisions about living healthier I decided to not seek placebos to replace unhealthy habits. I was used to reaching for food anytime I wanted, largely to satisfy emotional needs that have nothing to do with the stomach. That meant not reaching for zero calorie substitutes for those foods. I didn't want to just lose weight, I wanted to change behavior that had contributed to the unhappiness that demanded still more food.

I am not on a diet. I eat what I want to eat if it fits in my calorie plan for the day. But I don't put anything in my mouth just to be chewing or sipping mindlessly. That means no gum, no diet soda, no sugarless candy.

We are not all on the same journey, we don't even particularly want to end up in the same place. Your mileage may vary. Good luck!
  • smitchell37
    smitchell37 Posts: 121 Member
    OMG Im so glad Im not the only one. I thought I was going to have to go to aa for gum chewing. I chew a little over 1/2 a pack a day. I chew the extra mint chocolate chip....LOVE IT. I freak when Im out. It helps a lot with weight loss. When I feel hungery I put a piece of gum in and Im good
This discussion has been closed.