Mom of Two Needs Ideas??

rowdyropermom
rowdyropermom Posts: 7
edited September 26 in Fitness and Exercise
I have two boys, an 18 month old and an 11 week old so needless to say my time is limited. I'm currently squeezing in a 30 min aerobics workout video in my day but I know somedays will come up where 30 min focused on one cardio based workout just isn't plausible. This workout I'm doing now is burning on average 300 calories. Any ideas on small routines or workouts I can do throughout the day on & off when time permits but still achieve the same or more calorie loss??

Replies

• Christine1110
    Christine1110 Posts: 1,786 Member
    The 30 day shred has 3 levels and is only about 27 mins long. Good luck.
  • Sadie98072
    Sadie98072 Posts: 212 Member
    If you are up for it physically, skipping is an excellent cal burner. It works your legs, your core, your arms and your shoulders.
    You could do sets of skip for 2min, 10 push ups, skip for 2min, 10 sit ups, skip for 2min, 10 raises off the edge of the couch then repeat. Its a nice quick work out and I guarantee that it will get your heart rate up.
    We used to use these sets as a warm up at kickboxing.
    One thing to watch out for is your pelvic floor stability with jumping around exercises. Oh and you might need to wear sneakers while you are doing the skipping if you are doing it on a hard surface.
  • Spayrroe
    Spayrroe Posts: 210 Member
    The 10 minute solutions dvds are great. I have the kickboxing one and it has 5 different 10 minute kickboxing workouts on it (and mine came with weighted gloves to help speed things up). I like it because if I have a big block of free time (I am a stay at home mom of a 4 year old and a 1 year old), I can do a bunch of them at one time. If I don't have a large block of time at once, fitting 3 or 4 bouts of 10 minute work outs is pretty doable. On days that i can't get to the gym, I make sure to do at least two of the work outs, but I don't feel like I have to do them all at the same time. For my weight (now, my bmi is around 40, so it might change at whatever your weight is) one 10 minute work out burns 227 calories. If you can fit 4 of them in throughout the course of your day, that would add up to 908 calories. It's pretty awesome. There's a 'kickboxing' option in the data base under cardio.

Hope this helps :)
  • Do you have stairs? I will either do laps up and down the stairs or around my kitchen/dinning room like a track oval using a kitchen timer set for 10 min intervals. Every 10 min interval I can fit in I change direction. I can usually fit in an extra 3-6 10 min mini workouts per day while the kids are eating, playing or watching an episode of Mighty Machines. It all adds up :)
  • atrayubrandy
    atrayubrandy Posts: 188 Member
    I agree with Stolly, doing short jumping exercises throughout the day will blast a lot of calories and work your heart. Also, there is an AMAZING series of workout videos called "10 minute solutions." They have 5 different segments and each segment is only 10 minutes long (obviously) but they really work you out. It's not like the sissy workouts that you normally get from 10 minute videos where you just end up doing 10 minutes of grapevines back and forth. This workout video is like 10 minutes of constant jumping if you are doing a cardio one or 10 minutes of really hardcore abs if you are doing pilates. Also, if you find that you actually have 20 minutes you can continue on to the next segment. I highly recommend them...and they are available for instant view if you are a netflix subscriber.
  • atrayubrandy
    atrayubrandy Posts: 188 Member
    The 10 minute solutions dvds are great. I have the kickboxing one and it has 5 different 10 minute kickboxing workouts on it (and mine came with weighted gloves to help speed things up). I like it because if I have a big block of free time (I am a stay at home mom of a 4 year old and a 1 year old), I can do a bunch of them at one time. If I don't have a large block of time at once, fitting 3 or 4 bouts of 10 minute work outs is pretty doable. On days that i can't get to the gym, I make sure to do at least two of the work outs, but I don't feel like I have to do them all at the same time. For my weight (now, my bmi is around 40, so it might change at whatever your weight is) one 10 minute work out burns 227 calories. If you can fit 4 of them in throughout the course of your day, that would add up to 908 calories. It's pretty awesome. There's a 'kickboxing' option in the data base under cardio.

Hope this helps :)

Ha! It looks like you and I had the same idea. I must have been typing while you were posting! :-)
  • Spayrroe
    Spayrroe Posts: 210 Member
    lol, that happens to me all the time!
This discussion has been closed.