Help with push-ups!!

Options
So... I'm applying for the Police Department and part of the physical agility test includes doing 25 push-ups, as well as during the academy (if I get in!)

I've been working every day on doing as many as I can, but it's so hard! I find myself giving up so easy and just unable to do more than 10. They're not even good ones at that! Apparently you have to come within a fists height of the ground when you do them. I'm not even close to that yet!

I'm just wondering if anyone has any tips for doing push-ups??? Any other exercises that help build up the muscles used for push-ups, etc.?

Any advice is appreciated! Thanks so much!:)

Replies

• mrphil86
    mrphil86 Posts: 2,382 Member
    Options
    Well push-ups is a shoulder and chest workout. So doing chest and shoulder presses with dumb bells will help.

But don't be afraid to get on your knees and do pushups. Do as many as you can on your feet then continue on your knees.

If you google an 8 count body builder that will help your cardio as well. Might as well since you are applying for the police department.

Good luck to you.
  • bleakwhensee
    bleakwhensee Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    basically the way i do them to is i started at a 45 degree incline with my hands on the bench . i do a set as much as i can do. rest then repeat . i try to do 30 to 60 a day. when i have time . once you can do it pretty easily and increase the numbers per set lower the incline and repeat until you can do them in a prone position with no problem.
    i am not a fitness expert i am just doing it a way that seems easiest to me. i weigh still over 300 lbs.
  • yeseneah
    yeseneah Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Try doing them with weights in hand on the floor, this will make you get deeper in your push up. Remember what they say...push it until you feel you can not do anymore...then pump out five more!! Good luck!
  • chuckyp
    chuckyp Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I went through the same thing for the police academy. 17 years ago. Wow how time flies.
    The best way to get good at push-ups is to keep doing push-ups. Do some when you get up, do some when you have free time, do some when you go to bed. The other things that people posted will help too.

There was another post on here a few days back about an Android phone push-up app by Rittr Labs. You might try it if you have an Android phone. It tailors a custom program for you that's supposed to increase your push-ups quickly. They have also have apps for sit-up and squats. You might check out the sit-up app too, because if your academy uses Cooper standards, you'll be doing those too!

Good luck!
  • foodforfuel
    foodforfuel Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    All good advice. With push ups, you just have to put in the work.
    One thing I would add- make them all 'good ones' even if you are only doing five. Still push yourself, but good form is a must from the get go, imo. Good luck to you, and I am sure you can tackle this as long as you don't give up!
  • emtgirl14
    emtgirl14 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the great advice so far everyone!:) Chuckyp - I'll definitely get that app! Sounds good:) And yes, I'm already working on my sit ups too!:) *sigh* it's gonna be a long process, but I can't wait!:)