Do any of you suffer from any type of depression?

Options
I just wondered if there was anyone like me on here. I've suffered from depression for nearly 6 years now and it only seems to have gotten worse not better.

Replies

• SarahJaneDeschamp
    SarahJaneDeschamp Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    i myself have suffered from depression for almost 7 yrs, due to illness and circumstances, but i have to admit this diet change and weight loss journey has brightened my mood soo much, im much happier (even thought im at the early stage of my goal) and also the exercise helps heaps too, good luck sweetie x
  • chrismisterx
    Options
    Yes, its quite a hard thing for me to admit too, where I live its not right for a man to suffer from depression, but I have battled with it for quite a number of years, but its only recent that I admitted to myself that I had a problem.

If you ever need someone to talk to add me as a friend, not the most chatty person, but I am a great listener.
  • Losingitin2011
    Losingitin2011 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I have seasonal depression, and living in Oregon means it affects me most of the time.
  • ivyjbres
    ivyjbres Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Yeah. I was depressed from probably age 9 to 15 when I started seeing a therapist. It still comes back from time to time, but I can deal with it, and its not the kind that goes on without stopping for years. Most depression goes away on its own in under 6 months, since yours hasn't you probably have some issues you'll need to work through with a therapist.

Feel free to friend me and drop a line if you need to talk.
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    I suffered for 7 years but once I started exercising my mood has lightened a lot. Also, one of my close mates passed away recently, he was always telling me to be happy so I am really striving to be happy for him. :) I'm here if you need to talk about anything, exercise, diet, depression, overcoming it or just life in general :)
  • Noctuary
    Noctuary Posts: 255
    Options
    Yes. I have bi polar and have had a nervous breakdown that led to a suicide attempt. A year of meds, therapy and behavior modification has led to many years living relatively symptom free. I do still get episodes of manic depression, but they are getting fewer and far between.
  • em_lou007
    em_lou007 Posts: 117
    Options
    Hi!

Yes I suffer from depression - on and off since 2000.
    I have been through counselling twice, both times have helped massively.
    Every time I feel as though i'm coming out of it something happens and I seem to slip back in, it makes my weight loss journey all the harder as I eat when i'm depressed :frown:

I have found that when I stick to MFP it works and does help me to feel better - I find that the forums are great too, just reading helps to keep me motivated. I have also found that if I need help I can ask for it and get it! :happy:

It is tough but there is a way through - please feel free to add me as a friend or just message me if you need a chat.
    That goes for anyone else reading this post as well! :tongue:

Good luck with your weight loss journey, take your time, set realistic goals and never beat yourself up about anything. :drinker:

Remember save some of the (metaphorical) cake for yourself and don't try burning the candle at more than 1 end :smile:

Em xx

:flowerforyou:
  • rachgleeson
    rachgleeson Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I have suffered from depression and panic attacks since i had my first child in 2003!! I have tried to come off the medication a couple of times, but each time the panic attacks start again. I am hoping that when i have lost more weight maybe i will feel happy enough to be able to come off them once and for all. Although my doctor once said he didnt think i would!! I will prove him wrong!! If you ever need to chat feel free to message me or add me as a friend!!
  • Elise1931
    Elise1931 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Hello hun, here I'm and you're def not alone.
    I had suffered from depression since junior high and it has become bipolar when I was in college, diagnosed last year. I feel the same way as you do but I think there're still some hopes because successfully "cured" or "controlled" cases do exist.
    And I think one of the ways to manage it is to keep sticking with the professionals who can really help you and do something help you secrete endorphins, such as workouts. My period of depression become shorter than usual since I started to do exercises this year, so I guess it is helpful.
    Feel free to add me if you need someone to talk with:)
  • lovediets
    lovediets Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I have depression and mfp has really helped. To know other people struggle with the same thing you are going through makes all the difference in the world. Being on a diet really helps too and exercise. Pray that God will give you strength to fight the depression and that He will give you peace.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Yes. Your not alone although it feels like it.
  • musicoflife08
    Options
    I recently started taking medicine for my anxiety/depression. It's mostly anxiety though. It took me a long time before I would take anything for it, because I didn't want medicine to fix my problems, but I just couldn't handle daily life without it. I feel sooo much better and getting my anxiety under control has actually helped me start my weight loss journey. I know how it feels, and not a whole lot of what anyone says can help, but good luck to you and stay strong. :)