Gluten Free/Dairy Free Group? Any takers?

Options
jenc555
jenc555 Posts: 39 Member
I'm a newly diagnosed Celiac with new lactose intolerance as well (could be due to the Celiac but seems doubtful that it will go away with time).

I am actually enjoying finding new foods that are GF/DF but am still REALLY surprised at the amount of milk in everything. We've been GF savvy for about 4 years now due to a very intense family Celiac issue but the milk continues to surprise and frustrate me.

Anyone who is GF/DF want to do some food/recipe/ingredient swaps?

Replies

• aegira
    aegira Posts: 204
    Options
    Hi jenc555, I new to the GF eating also (day4) but mine is due to Dermographic Urticaria and after today's experiment I am definitely off dairy, not a pretty reaction lol.
    Not sure if you've checked out the "Gluten Free Girls (and Guys!)" thread yet but it's been going for a bit and they have some really good advice on things. May be worth a look.
    At this stage I don't have any recipes to swap, but I'll get there and discover a few...I have realised that many of the ingredients discussed differ vastly from country to country so I try to find the Aussie equal as much as/if possible. :bigsmile:
  • jenc555
    Options
    I don't even know what that means! I'll google it....

Day 4 is early, and it can be overwhelming. How are you doing with it?

I have about 5 years of GF under my belt, so feel free to msg me a questions.

Thanks for the info, good luck!
  • jenc555
    Options
    I remember now, that is rough! Sorry to hear about it. I tell my husband though, even when it gets sooo tough, that the gf/df diet is worth it for me b/c I feel so much better.

I cheat sometimes with the dairy (hello, M&M's!) and I feel it IMMEDIATELY. Boo. But good, actually, to keep me in check.

Best of luck, I'll check out the GF group.
    Jen
  • AquaAura
    AquaAura Posts: 105
    Options
    Hi ,

I'm down for that. I've been GF and dairy free for 3 weeks now I am doing a detox programme but I'm enjoying the feeling so I'm going to stick with it. I recently had to use milk instead of rice milk and my body certainly didn't like it. My youngest girl is also GF she has stomach issue not coeliac but deffinitely better when she's GF so I've decided to make it a lifestyle change for our family at least when we eat altogether and full time for myself and my daughter.

Your right though its amazing when you actually read the ingrediants of the products you buy whats actually in them !!!

I would deffinitely been keen to join the group :)
  • aegira
    aegira Posts: 204
    Options
    Well I was going ok for a newbie until today. Thought I'd treat myself with my newly found GF muesli and thought I'd try the milk
    in the fridge, (I have been using soy milk for a long time but the one I bought has malt in it) big huge massive mistake. After an hour of eating I had the king of migraines, welts all over my body and mouth. Then of course work called and I had to go fix a computer, thank goodness for make up lol. On the upside I've lost 1.5kg in the 4 days :happy:
  • jenc555
    Options
    wow! that is crazy that your reactions are so immediate! Mine are of the GI variety and I'll leave it at that.

I'm convinced though too my history of migraines is connected to my Celiac.

So, how do I create a group? Just make a thread like this and post stuff? OK, I'll try that.

Yay!
    Jen