thighs and calves; help!

Options
:noway: Its soo totally hard to tone and get rid of fat on your legs!!! I need help!! I want to get my calves and legs to get smaller and in tone. But its sooo hard!!! I don't know how to or what exercises I can do to achieve my goals. My legs being the worst part or my body!!:sad: I wish it would be sexy so i can show them, I'm even embarassed to go swimming because i'm so self cauntious about my legs.

What's the best exercises to do for calves?? I know its like mostly muscle. But how can i make them smaller??? Is it possible??

And my thighs, running and machines are not working!!!?? Is there anybody that had the same problem and then got there legs into nice shape???

What can I do, I'm desperate to get my legs looking good so I can feel confident about going to the pool and beach :smile:

Replies

• getsexymarylou
    getsexymarylou Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    :noway: Its soo totally hard to tone and get rid of fat on your legs!!! I need help!! I want to get my calves and legs to get smaller and in tone. But its sooo hard!!! I don't know how to or what exercises I can do to achieve my goals. My legs being the worst part or my body!!:sad: I wish it would be sexy so i can show them, I'm even embarassed to go swimming because i'm so self cauntious about my legs.

What's the best exercises to do for calves?? I know its like mostly muscle. But how can i make them smaller??? Is it possible??

And my thighs, running and machines are not working!!!?? Is there anybody that had the same problem and then got there legs into nice shape???

What can I do, I'm desperate to get my legs looking good so I can feel confident about going to the pool and beach :smile:
  • Lexino
    Lexino Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I have the opposite problem...thighs and calves were the first things to lose fat and tone, but my belly and hips are awful!! I'm sure plenty of people here will have tips and recommend things like squats and lunges...sure wish I could spot treat my belly though! I know how frustrating it is!
  • Steffykins
    Steffykins Posts: 176
    Options
    I have massive thighs and calves and have found squats and lunges really help tone up that area. This exercise really helped aswell.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2r6sKTG6Os
  • ladywalkalot
    ladywalkalot Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Obviously, genetics has a lot to do with it but:

Pilates---great toning
    Yoga---great stretching
    Walking--can really help lengthen muscles compared to other aerobic activities.....

To lose fat, you've got to do cardio....make sure your intensitiy level is high enough that your burning good calories...

Good luck!!
  • Steffykins
    Steffykins Posts: 176
    Options
    I was just looking at your picture and I wish I had thighs like yours!!! I'm 133lbs and mine are waaaaaaaay bigger!!
  • mjfer123
    mjfer123 Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    where are you in need of losing?
    your pic is very deceiving
  • mjfer123
    Options
    squats and slow jogging anything really fast paced will give you huge muscles.
    Leg extension and leg flexion (curls/crunches)
    these are pretty standard machines in a gym too.
    Some gyms have inner thigh machines that you squeeze together like suzanne somers.
    Try stairs/stairmaster too, <---probably the best way to work your entire leg
  • hayatt
    hayatt Posts: 6
    Options
    THE BEST THING YOU CAN DO!

(just to get your attention because I am so so serious!)

SWIMMING!
    if you're feeling a bit shy, go to the pool on an empty day and do laps. GET YOUR SELF TIRED! freestyle works the best because if you're not a pro swimmer, you can catch up on it easily and just move really fast.

I did this for three days in a row and EVERYONE I KNEW told me my thighs got smaller and my legs looked leaner.

For your calves, try not to do any machinery, but some of the ELIPTICAL (CROSS TRAINER) will help as well as a step aerobic class. Don't do machinery on high gradients or levels. keep the resistance low enough to have your workout be referred as a "cardio" workout.

If you run on a treadmill, DO NOT GO FAST! this will definitely build muscle. Go on level 7.5-8.0 for about 10-12 minutes. (increase the time as you go on but try to do this gradually. first week do 8 full minutes of running and then go up by the 2nd week or when you feel like you can) but going fast doesn't have an impact of losing weight- JOG!

(sorry for the epic. but I share your problem and this has been working for me!) :)!
  • hayatt
    hayatt Posts: 6
    Options

SWIMMING!
    if you're feeling a bit shy, go to the pool on an empty day and do laps. GET YOUR SELF TIRED! freestyle works the best because if you're not a pro swimmer, you can catch up on it easily and just move really fast.

I did this for three days in a row and EVERYONE I KNEW told me my thighs got smaller and my legs looked leaner.

For your calves, try not to do any machinery, but some of the ELIPTICAL (CROSS TRAINER) will help as well as a step aerobic class. Don't do machinery on high gradients or levels. keep the resistance low enough to have your workout be referred as a "cardio" workout.

If you run on a treadmill, DO NOT GO FAST! this will definitely build muscle. Go on level 7.5-8.0 for about 10-12 minutes. (increase the time as you go on but try to do this gradually. first week do 8 full minutes of running and then go up by the 2nd week or when you feel like you can) but going fast doesn't have an impact of losing weight- JOG!

(sorry for the epic. but I share your problem and this has been working for me!) :)!
    ["Take your passion and make it happen!"]
  • mjfer123
    Options

SWIMMING!

I agree with swimming too.
    its okay to do machines, but like hyatt said, you should go for less weights, but you should do MORE reps. This will tone without building massive muscles.
  • 1harleygal
    1harleygal Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    :happy: Aerobic Kickboxing Excercise class is also very awesome for working calves & thighs plus the rest of your body! I have taken 4 classes so far and can feel a difference in muscle tone of my legs arleady! Next week I bump up to 3 times a week!:happy:
  • angelajiniel
    Options
    Personally, If do lift with my legs or do stairs or even the elliptical, my legs get bigger. I build muscle easily, I I've learned to avoid those things. Running, walking, swimming and pilates are all good for toning and lengthening. In general, you want to do more reps of lower weight to tone rather than build muscle. And, there's really no such thing as spot training when it comes to losing fat. Your body with add and subtract fat where it is meant to, and the only thing you can do about it is cardio to lose fat all over.

Pilates and running have been the best combo for me. As a former catcher with the nick-name of Ghetto Booty, my legs are finally getting down to normal! I can ALMOST wear jean shorts, almost. :)
  • nichols
    nichols Posts: 240
    Options
    squats, leg extensions, leg curls, high sets 3 to 5 and high reps 15 to 20 low weight for toning and shaping and not building mass. calf raises 5 sets 20 reps. stretch often. being flexible and stretching helps prevent injury and can help give your muscles that long sleek look. jogging and running stairs is good also. i know it sounds funny but walk around on your tip toes with no shoes on when you can for calves. good luck. by the way from your picture i think your to hard on yourself about your legs.
  • getsexymarylou
    getsexymarylou Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    :smile: :smile: :smile: OMG!! You guys are great!! Thank You for the advice!! I appreciated it!! I'll try and keep up with those exercises and light weights more reps, jogging and not running, i'd love to make it to the pool, but its far from home:cry: , but i'll keep u guys posted!!! Thanks for all the help!! Everybody is sooo nice and sweeeeeeeeet!!!! I love this site!!! Thank you sooo much!!!:heart::love: :smile:
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    So there have been a lot of recommendations on here, and mostly they all tell a similar story, but I'll try and give you the why, then you can figure out the how on your own (as there are many ways to do so).

the why of it is this: When leg muscles (the major ones I'm talking about) are exercised, they can build 2 ways, bulk and length. When you perform higher resistance over shorter periods, bulk happens, when you perform lower resistance over longer periods, lenth happens. So to lengthen your muscle (which will alleviate some of the "bulk" you want to perform exercises that use resistance, but not a lot, for longer periods of time. Things like light jogging for a long period, eliptical with low resistance, bicycling over even ground for long distances, swimming (although swimming works the upper body more then the lower, there is some lower body toning that happens).

To enhance the lengthening process, there are certain isometric type exercises that can be performed. Things like pilates and yoga are good for stretching and lengthening the legs, when done in conjuction with moderate jogging you should be able to see noticable results in 3 to 6 months. It's not a quick solution, but there really is no quick solution besides atrophy, which is something you definitely DON'T want.

hope this helps.

-Banks