Kinesiology/ muscle tape

Options
My shoulder had been giving e problems for some time - not a restriction in movement, but pain particularly in lateral raises or hooks. I eventually agreed to see a sports therapist today. As well as exercises and massages, he has now taped up my shoulder muscle with fetching bright blue muscle tape! This apparently raises the skin a little, and allows more movement underneath. It's used by Lance Armstrong, David Beckham, and olympic volleyballers. Apparently is now banned in competitive swimming!

Anybody any experience of this as a form of pain relief?

Replies

• fitcrew
    fitcrew Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I was dealing with what my chiro thought was a pulled hamstring (it was really a spine issue) and at first they tried the the kinesio tape and my leg became so irritated where they had placed it I had to get rid of it.....for me it just didnt help. Not sure if it was because it wasnt the actual sight of the injury of the nerve that was inflamed that it was placed by just said NO WAY....
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    I believe the adhesive can be irritating - my therapist checked I had no allergies before recommending it.
  • auntdeedee87
    auntdeedee87 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    I need to lay my hands on some...

I was in a wreck last December and went through 18 weeks of PT.

Mostly back to normal but when sitting at my computer too long-- which I'm forced to do when editing photos-- I get the worst muscle spasms in my shoulders and the base of my neck. Hot, painful spasms.

My PTherapist has used KTape on me before and it worked wonders.

I searched the forum to find a thread about it so I could ask if any of you knew the best place to buy this from--

I wonder if my doctor could prescribe it and get it covered under my insurance?
  • hopeandj
    hopeandj Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I love it! I use it on my shins when they start to ache from me doing to much and it helps. I bought a roll from Academy for around $10-12 dollars? I think. You can also search the web and order it. I use the black because it sticks better.