Calorites burned during a workout

Options
brityn
brityn Posts: 443 Member
I recently went to visit my in-laws in another state. My sister-in-law has battled with her weight since she had her daughter 3 years ago and my mom and dad in-law have been overweight since my husband can remember. I haven't ever stayed with any of them (we usually get a hotel) so Id never witnessed the extent of their diet or lack there of...It was awful. No wonder they're all so overweight and miserable. We didn't have a single vegetable for four days! Wait, we had mashed potatoes, but that doesn't count in my book. Oh, and some fruit in the peach cobbler...I was seriously ill from all the terrible food and everyone complained every night of how their tummies hurt. On day four I went to the grocery store and bought a ton of greens and made a green smoothie twice a day. It made my body feel a little better, but the fat intake was so out of control I don't think anything was going to help very much.

well, I got on the topic of exercise with my sis-in-law and she started talking about how she's been going to zumba! I was so excited for her! She said, "yeah, I lose 2-3 lbs every class!" wait, what?! She continued to tell me that she loved it cause it was such a great burn and that she does it after work then comes home and just drinks water all evening (no food) so that her body will just burn off all the fat... I didn't want to say too much to hurt her feelings or burst her bubble, but I tried to tactfully explain that she needed to fuel her workouts with something lean so her body didn't eat her muscle and that it's not really feasible that she really lost 2-3 lbs of fat during these classes...I stopped after a couple minutes cause I don't want to seem like the "know it all" in-law... My husband chimed in pretty quickly though... We got married a couple years ago and have adopted a very healthy diet and exercise routine and have been studying nutrition and started racing and stuff...it was really neat to hear him put all that to good use. He had a very calm, calculated, loving argument that didn't seem too harsh.. I don't know how his sister took it, but I was very impressed with his knowledge...

It's hard to know where to draw the line. I know they think that their son/brother got married, moved away and now he thinks he knows everything about diet and exercise...and that we think they know nothing...but you can't possibly care about someone and just let them do that to their body without saying anything! I hope they took the advice with love.. and that they put it to good use, but with no support over there I'm not very hopeful.

Ok, my rant is over...