Calling all cabbage lovers......

2»

Replies

• Terri73
    Terri73 Posts: 238
    I love cabbage, but the only way I've ever had it and the only way I know how to cook it is boiled with potatoes and carrots and loaded with salt. It tastes soo good, but puts me way over on sodium.

Thats how i like it but with a sprinkle of salt. and some gravy (50g=13 calories)
  • DianaPowerUp
    DianaPowerUp Posts: 518 Member
    I have cabbage in the fridge that I forgot about - time to use it! Thanks for the reminder!
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Not sure about the stuff about gas meaning you need detoxification - but cabbage is delicious, my favourite is primo, the crinkly green one. Very filling too.

I love it served with almonds and garlic, I've found a recipe below that's sort of how I do it, though I don't use butter and only a tiny bit of olive oil to fry the garlic, and I also add a small piece of onion.

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/893645/savoy-cabbage-with-almonds

EDITED TO ADD: I haven't had cabbage since changing my diet, I really should get some. :)
  • cupotee
    cupotee Posts: 181 Member
    They have this thick leaved taiwanese cabbage ( its huge and flat) where i live and it is soo good caramelized wwith onions. Not bitter at all and you can cook it with no oil. Best of all, one head will make 5 servings
  • Sunitagt
    Sunitagt Posts: 486 Member
    My favorite is to make it Indian-style (how I grew up cooking it)

Shred it, cook some prawns in some chili powder, tumeric, corriander, and cumin powders with some onions, garlic, white lentils and mustard seeds, then add the cabbage and some water so it gets boiled and serve with some basmati rice. Mmm that's definitely dinner tonight, and maybe tomorrow.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    I just had cabbage last night..........

Quick and easy meal:

1 head of cabbage, sliced into thin strips
    1 pound beef smoked sausage, sliced into bite size chunks ( i got some from our local meat market that was farmer made)
    quarter cup chicken broth
    olive oil or bacon grease ( i prefer the bacon grease)

Heat oven to 350

grease the bottom of pan with a small amount of the olive oil or grease
    throw in cabbage
    throw sliced sausage in on top
    sprinkle with a bit of sea salt and black pepper
    pour in chicken broth.

Cover and place in oven for about 40 minutes. Take lid off and leave in oven for 10 more minutes to brown everything just a bit.
  • myersbm
    myersbm Posts: 1
    WE chop our cabbage in chunks, lightly spray butter substitute on and seasoning, wrap in foil and cook on the grill...it is awesome
This discussion has been closed.