Counting water from beverages?

Options
2»

Replies

• angeljamin
    angeljamin Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Since so many people were interested in this subject, I thought I would post a quote from Health & Wellness, a great book from a Health class I took last session.

“Body water should be replaced by consuming pure water, milk or real juice. So-called enhanced waters are not pure. They contain a few grams of sugar, small amounts of vitamins and often caffeine…liquids containing caffeine (coffee, tea, sodas) and alcohol are diuretics, which means that some of the fluid ingested is lost in additional urine output” (Edlin & Golanty, 2010).

The section goes on to say that 64oz of water is a suggestion for normal body loss through sweat, urine, etc. If you are sweating or using the bathroom more than usual (i.e. exercise, sickness) you should drink more than the usual 8 glasses of water.

Hope this helps :happy:
  • angeljamin
    angeljamin Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    In every reputable study I have ever seen, ANY beverage contributes to hydration, whether it is water, soda, coffee, milk, etc. Furthermore, we get approximately 20% of our water intake from foods.

Great resources! I posted the opposite from a 2010 book.

Just goes to show science is fallible :laugh:

Wonder which study has the key? I guess it depends on the individual :smile:
  • hewhoiscd
    hewhoiscd Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    The question seems to come from the mindset of wanting to be able to drink less water...which, IMO, is the wrong way of thinking about it.

It's not like you shouldn't drink more than 64oz and have to make sure that your coffee doesn't put you over the limit...

Just drink at least 64oz (more if you can) of pure water through out the day, and be done with it. There are all sorts of benefits to drinking pure water, it really makes no sense to try and avoid it
  • TheBraveryLover
    TheBraveryLover Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    No it doesn't. If it did, that'd mean I can drink 8 glasses of juice and tea everyday and that'd keep my urine light yellow, but it never did when I used to rarely drink water.
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    Is there a rule of thumb for telling which beverages count?

i think the rule of thumb is whether or not the beverage is water. :) really, if it's not just water, then it doesn't really count.
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    The section goes on to say that 64oz of water is a suggestion for normal body loss through sweat, urine, etc. If you are sweating or using the bathroom more than usual (i.e. exercise, sickness) you should drink more than the usual 8 glasses of water.

the "rule" as i understand it is "half your body weight in ounces" that's why 8 glasses is recommended because the average healthy weight is about 140 (that's averaging the healthy weight for males and females not that 140 is an average weight for anyone in particular)