gym vs no gym

Options
so me and my sister have this bet going i think that you get in better shape by going to the gym and using the equipment there. She thinks that you can get in shape without having to use a gym, and by in shape i mean everything like cardio and muscle mass. So i want to know what everyone thinks about this.

I also need some good workout ideas for the gym, like good routines to do so that i can win our bet, if you have any suggestions please let me know.:happy:

Replies

• Kimbers
    Kimbers Posts: 14
    Options
    so me and my sister have this bet going i think that you get in better shape by going to the gym and using the equipment there. She thinks that you can get in shape without having to use a gym, and by in shape i mean everything like cardio and muscle mass. So i want to know what everyone thinks about this.

I also need some good workout ideas for the gym, like good routines to do so that i can win our bet, if you have any suggestions please let me know.:happy:
  • nichols
    nichols Posts: 240
    Options
    im with ya. def like the gym. if u can find the motivation to get up and go even when u dont feel like it. plus theres always some one there to push u or give u that extra bit of encouragement u need for that last rep when u dont think its in u to do it. every thing is already set up and and it is easier to switch up your routine and do different exercises to keep the muscles guessing and working. what look u are going for depends on what ideas u need. if your looking for weight loss and toning high reps and super setting are great. here to help any way i can. good luck.
  • Mangoaddict
    Mangoaddict Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    Gym can really motivate you. When you see others working hard, there is like a feeling of "oneness". Its kind of hard to explain but you know everyone is there to become healthy. Def. the gym!
  • searls717
    Options
    I think that the gym is a good idea if you are motivated enough to go. I personally do not like working out in a gym. Probably because most of the gyms around here are meat markets. I have the following equipment at home. Treadmill, weight machine, ab lounger, swimming pool and we just got "The Bean". I prefer to work out at home, that way if I want to wear a sports bra and shorts when I work out, then walk right into my pool, I can. Just my opinion.
  • last25
    last25 Posts: 83
    Options
    Both ways are great, though personally I prefer "no" gym. No wasting time driving there for one and two no wasting time waiting for a machine to become available. Oh and there's the whole wiping off the person before you's sweat. Ew! Don't get me wrong I still like the gym and would go if I had the time but like I said too much time wasting on a busy schedule or (speaking for myself) I should say my busy schedule.

If you have a good at home exercise program created by the top fitness trainers in the world of FITness (who know what works and what doesn't, as well as what the heck they're talking about) then you'll be just as ripped as going to the gym in as much or maybe even less time. Trust me. I am currently doing P90X which as you probably guessed is a in home workout program and it is the most challenging workout I've ever done! And I've done just about everything, well almost... (including the two years I spent at the gym when I was in college). I'll post results when I'm complete with the program (and hopefully prove my point, in siding with your sister) :happy:

Anyway a good routine for the gym (which I believe is also important in making your workout at the gym as useful as possible) can be found in Jillian Michael's book "Making the Cut: The 30-Day Diet and Fitness Plan for the Strongest, Sexiest You." If you need specifics and don't want to buy the book let me know how I can help. Good luck with the bet :wink:
  • iLuvMyChemicalRomane
    Options
    your probablly right but i dont like gyms. i like going outside with the fresh air and stuff.
  • angelajiniel
    Options
    I've done both and had good results with both. I used to be a gym rat...elliptical while reading a book or watching tv followed by a strict lifting schedule, stretching and ab work. But then I got married, got a new job, bought a house in the country and don't have time or money to all the way to the gym anymore.

Now I have an elliptical and weight bench in my home, which I really only use during the winter anymore. I have fallen in love with running outside and pilates in my living room. I don't get to be outside much due to being tethered to a desk all day, so it is a real motivational tool for me. And the pilates I do in my living room in my pjs after hubby goes to work in the morning (he has to be there by 7...I don't have to be at my job until 8:30.) It's much easier for me to just change my clothes and head out the door or roll from the couch to the floor and get it done than it is to get to the gym and back. I also like not using weights anymore because I bulk up too easily, so lean muscle of running/pilates combo is great for me.

Point is, either work, it depends on you and what you like to do. Whatever motivates you to get going. You can get a full workout either way. (Though I do miss the option of swimming, taking classes or joining a pickup game every now and then :)