Let's Talk About Sex, Ba-by

Options
So... :blushing:

I showed off myfitnesspal to my husband this evening because I'm so excited to be using it because it's such a fantastic tool. (I just joined yesterday.) We were talking about how many calories I had left to consume today and/or how many would be burned off after our walk (I was showing him how you could search for an activity and add it to your exercise log. )

He asked me how many calories we burn during sex. I know it's gotta be more than just a few -- I've actually read studies about it. But... well, it's not one of the built-in exercise options ... nothing came up when I searched for "sex." Do you consider sex as a calorie burner for your log?

Am I silly for asking this? What do you think about sex as far as calorie burning potential and/or adding it to your exercise log? My husband jokingly insisted on helping me burn as many calories as possible to help reach my weight loss goals if this were the case ;) haha

I did a little google search to try and find some answers (to share and get feedback), and here's what I've found:

*Vigorous Sex, based on a person weighing 140 pounds. ”...this activity burns approximately 102 calories per hour…” (source: thedailyplate.com)

*Between 68 and 102 calories, depending on if you just lay there or do the hard work (source: calorie-count.com)

*It has been estimated that having sex for a half hour burns approximately 150 to 200 calories and sometimes maybe as high as 350 calories if you are really active in bed. The calories burned during sex is roughly the equivalent of fast walking, jogging, or weight lifting for around thirty minutes. (source: http://www.disabled-world.com/artman/publish/calories-sex.shtml)

*A 130 lb person would burn approximately 124 calories during sexual intercourse. (source:
http://www.healthstatus.com/cgi-bin/calc/calculator.cgi)

Thoughts? Perhaps this has come up before? What do you think?

Replies

• pinktoque
    pinktoque Posts: 340 Member
    Options

I showed off myfitnesspal to my husband this evening because I'm so excited to be using it because it's such a fantastic tool. (I just joined yesterday.) We were talking about how many calories I had left to consume today and/or how many would be burned off after our walk (I was showing him how you could search for an activity and add it to your exercise log. )

He asked me how many calories we burn during sex. I know it's gotta be more than just a few -- I've actually read studies about it. But... well, it's not one of the built-in exercise options ... nothing came up when I searched for "sex." Do you consider sex as a calorie burner for your log?

Am I silly for asking this? What do you think about sex as far as calorie burning potential and/or adding it to your exercise log? My husband jokingly insisted on helping me burn as many calories as possible to help reach my weight loss goals if this were the case ;) haha

I did a little google search to try and find some answers (to share and get feedback), and here's what I've found:

*Vigorous Sex, based on a person weighing 140 pounds. ”...this activity burns approximately 102 calories per hour…” (source: thedailyplate.com)

*Between 68 and 102 calories, depending on if you just lay there or do the hard work (source: calorie-count.com)

*It has been estimated that having sex for a half hour burns approximately 150 to 200 calories and sometimes maybe as high as 350 calories if you are really active in bed. The calories burned during sex is roughly the equivalent of fast walking, jogging, or weight lifting for around thirty minutes. (source: http://www.disabled-world.com/artman/publish/calories-sex.shtml)

*A 130 lb person would burn approximately 124 calories during sexual intercourse. (source:

• RachVR6
    RachVR6 Posts: 3,688 Member
    Options
    I used to use fitday.com and it was in their exercise choices. I know my other half and I burn quite a few. :blushing: :laugh:
  • cnolovechild
    Options
    lol....well caloriesperhour.com says its not all that much...shocking I know.. .You can look it up there. You have a few paces of that particular activity.
  • HappyathomeMN
    HappyathomeMN Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Think about it . . . . .

Were you doing it before you embarked on the weight loss journey??

Or is it entirely new to your Fitness Plan?

:blushing: :blushing:
  • BetterVersion
    Options
    You're not silly at all. I think it was just yesterday I was sitting here logging in my food intake and my husband came over and suggested that he had "a workout" for me. LoL So then we both got curious and I looked it up on another site since this one doesn't show it. I think mine said somewhere around 200 calories/hour.
  • RachVR6
    RachVR6 Posts: 3,688 Member
    Options
    Fitday has these options

sexual activity passive, light effort (kissing, hugging) - 35 calories per 30min
    sexual activity general, moderate effort - 46 calories per 30min
    sexual activity active, vigorous effort - 53 calories per 30min

Not a lot, but it helps! :laugh:
  • gabrielled
    gabrielled Posts: 247 Member
    Options

(Laugh snort cough choke) My husband and I, well, I wore my heart rate monitor!!! I burn around 160 kc per hour if we do this for an hour. I burn waaaay more on the elliptical! Sigh. I'm still going for that extra few calories every few times I can. :laugh:

Anyone who dares to imagine me with just my hrm is going to get a sock on the arm!!
  • Ezzie
    Ezzie Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Ah HAH!!! This sounds like a new challenge for those of us with HRM's....we could start our own activity=calories chart...:noway:

The real challenge is going to be how to 'label' activities while being PC....teehee:tongue:

Anybody "up" for this one???:glasses:

Or would this be entirely improper????
    :embarassed:

Ezzie:devil:
  • iftcheiaf
    iftcheiaf Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    My hubby actually asked me where my heart monitor was once when we started to...well, you get the idea. Of course, since we have two kids and it's been a crazy summer, when the mood strikes and opportunity comes along all at the same moment for both individuals, i'm too scared to say "Hey, wait a minute, let me get my HRM". But it's definitely not out of the question on this end. Let you know what I find out..Excuse me, I have to go ... um... exercise.
  • emikarls
    emikarls Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    Fitday has these options

sexual activity passive, light effort (kissing, hugging) - 35 calories per 30min
    sexual activity general, moderate effort - 46 calories per 30min
    sexual activity active, vigorous effort - 53 calories per 30min

Not a lot, but it helps! :laugh:

I was using fitday too, before I found this WONDERFUL site, but all my info and my food diary, vanished one day. Did the same thing happen to you?
  • krystalmoore1986
    krystalmoore1986 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    You are not the only one who has thought of this. I just didnt want to be the one to "Enter my own exercise" here and have it be that!:blushing:
  • pinktoque
    Options
    hahaha, and THIS is why I love this community.

Thanks for all of the feedback and input (and for those of you who admitted to wearing your HRM during sex!) -- you're awesome!

hehehe kareninnevada of course it's not a new thing! MyFitnessPal IS a new thing for me, though, and so is logging all of my food intake and exercise. I was just curious as I'm being very careful to log every little thing I eat and exercise I do that's substantial. I wondered if sex fell into that "substantial enough to log" section... every little bit counts! :D

Thanks for the input so far everyone! What great people you are :)
  • pinktoque
    Options
    This Calories Burned Per Minute chart is pretty interesting -- it lists typical physical activities ("sex - active" is one of them) and then you choose the column along the top based on your weight (since the more you weigh the more you burn.) so you can see if you're between 127 and 137 lbs, for example, you'd burn 4.3 calories a minute doing "sex - active"

source: http://www.coolnurse.com/calories.htm
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    Gabrielled:

OK, you are now my hero. Thank you, no socks, please.
  • jamdblake4
    jamdblake4 Posts: 179
    Options
    so what about the calories burn in 4play does that count. or how about the times my wife is sleeping next to me and I'm thinking about IT.
  • Carrie6o6
    Carrie6o6 Posts: 1,443 Member
    Options
    Ah HAH!!! This sounds like a new challenge for those of us with HRM's....we could start our own activity=calories chart...:noway:

The real challenge is going to be how to 'label' activities while being PC....teehee:tongue:

Anybody "up" for this one???:glasses:

Or would this be entirely improper????
    :embarassed:

Ezzie:devil:

My husband and I were joking about this. haha We were planning on trying it out
  • SkinnyMama
    SkinnyMama Posts: 146
    Options
    This Calories Burned Per Minute chart is pretty interesting -- it lists typical physical activities ("sex - active" is one of them) and then you choose the column along the top based on your weight (since the more you weigh the more you burn.) so you can see if you're between 127 and 137 lbs, for example, you'd burn 4.3 calories a minute doing "sex - active"

This is all too funny. I am interested to see what all you HRM people find. Are the on-line #'s correct?!?! Hope you all have a great hump day:laugh: !
  • marskids
    marskids Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I no longer feel silly about asking my hottub question.....even though I was kinda joking when I did. :)
    I love that we can talk about ANYTHING here.
  • jamdblake4
    jamdblake4 Posts: 179
    Options

This is all too funny. I am interested to see what all you HRM people find. Are the on-line #'s correct?!?! Hope you all have a great hump day:laugh: !
    [/quo
    I'm going to work harder at it because it's hump day? maybe go the whole 60 sec
  • pinktoque
    Options
    I no longer feel silly about asking my hottub question.....even though I was kinda joking when I did. :)
    I love that we can talk about ANYTHING here.

me too!! :)

and lol, jamdblake, you're cracking me up

(When I told my husband it was 4.3 calories per minute he was like... "wow, so I'd burn a whole 8.6 calories or so?" haha)